Does Early Check-in Time = Better Room Assignment?

Andy123

Wine, Beer and Spirits Guy
My wife and I are now arriving later in the day than we expected for our vacation (next week?!?) at the Animal Kingdom Logdge... My question is - we've always checked in relatively early in the day and gotten wonderful room assignments - Does the time you check in have an impact on your room assignment??? We are considering spending the first night at another hotel so we can check in early the next day. What do you think?

I find that where my room is located really depends on the luck of the draw. Sometimes, a great room will be available when I check in (I usually arrive at Disney around 11:00), sometimes a not so great location will not be available at that time. It really depends on where folks checked out from, and how early each area of the resort will be serviced.

I think the only advantage of getting there early is that if you aren't happy with the room location they give you, you can see if they can find you a room that will be ready later in the day in a more favorable location.

Karen

Both times I checked into AKL, it was mid-afternoon (but after check-in time). Both times they changed my room on the spot. I don't remember the first time, but the second time we were on the corridor from the lobby to the elevator, so they moved me up one floor.

I think it can't help but improve your odds of getting what you want. If you check in early, then technically speaking all of the rooms being vacated later in the day are available for you, and the odds would be pretty good that you could get your preferences met. If you check in later, you may get what you want, but I would think that logically the fewer rooms available, the less your chances. We did exactly what you're going to do - spent a night off site the night before so we could check in early. The room wasn't ready yet, but we got exactly what we asked for and even more.

When we stayed at CSR I requested a specific area when making my reservation.

It may help if you tell them up front what area/floor you'd like and call 4 days ahead to confirm your request.

I checked in at 8:30 am our first day and our rooms were right where I wanted them and they were ready.

We checked into AKL on 12/27/02 around 7pm and got perfect rooms. 2nd floor, Zebra trail, Arusha and Uzima savannahs (we had 2 rooms), in the 3rd block of rooms. And that wasy during the busiest time of the year. We went back 10/03 and checked in around 10pm and got rooms we weren't happy with (5th floor, Ostrich trail, Sunset savannah) but they CMs at the front desk were willing to move us the next day (so basically like we stayed somewhere else and checked in early the next day) but we didn't care enough to move so we stayed there. 6/04 we checked in around 11am and got an okay room (this time we stayed concierge) on the 5th floor, Kudu Trail, Arusha savannah. So I really don't think it matters much on what time you check in, I think they set aside a room for you either way. Now, off to call CRO and request a nice room for our return to AKL in April!

We checked into CSR, after 9 pm, and got our perfect room. I had made a few general room requests on reservation.

In 11/04 we checked in to AKL after 10:00 pm and were given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe savannah view. Had booked standard savannah view. CM was very nice. We did not ask for the upgrade at all.
The upgrade had both our requests: non-smoking and bunk beds if possible.
We made no other requests than that and it was just the perfect room!

I work in hotels.

Rooms are not blocked the day they are reserved. Nor are they blocked based on what time you check in. Most rooms are blocked for a guest early in the day. First on the list receives first rooms available. So it really is luck of the draw.

We checked into AS Music around 9:30 a.m. and were still back in the Broadway section (and our room wasn't ready until about 3:00 anyway, I guess due to the 11:00 check out time).

totalia said:
I work in hotels.

Rooms are not blocked the day they are reserved. Nor are they blocked based on what time you check in. Most rooms are blocked for a guest early in the day. First on the list receives first rooms available. So it really is luck of the draw.

when I went last april, we checked in around 1pm, and the woman gave us a map of pop and asked us if we had any preference on what area we would like.
::MickeyMo

We checked in to AKL at 11 a.m. on a Thursday in December and got horrible rooms. They told us they couldn't move us as they were booked and "no one is leaving"!!! We politely persisted as we did not feel that we were getting what we reserved and paid for and they moved us to an okay room.

Here's an interesting story from a CM who worked the front desk at AKL.
He said that a family showed up late one night during the busy season, and AKL was already filled except for the VP Suite. Guess where that lucky family spent the week?
I believe it's all pure luck.
We were upgraded last year for our one night at WL from Woods View to the WLV. Our DS (then 5) was disappointed because he was looking forward to the bunk beds.

It makes a BIG difference. I, too, was under the impression that room assignments were made well before guest arrival, so I felt secure in my request to be on the main savannah. However, when we arrived, we were placed in a room off one of the side savannahs, where we pretty much had to lean off the balcony to see any animals.

We were told by the front desk CM that if we had arrived earlier, our request would have been met, and that he had been placing people on the main savannah all morning. As he put it "Folks who arrive early just LOVE me, and folks who arrive late..."

Grrr.

Doug

When we plan our trips, we arrange to stay at the cheapest place we can tolerate if we get in too late to do anything "fun". Then we have breakfast the next morning and check out, drive straight to the place we plan to stay the rest of the week, and check in. Sometimes the room they had planned for us is not ready that early. We give them the option of keeping our luggage for us until our room is ready but they usually put us in a nice room that is ready to go. I think earlier is better....but that is just me.

Stitch Inside said:
He said that a family showed up late one night during the busy season, and AKL was already filled except for the VP Suite. Guess where that lucky family spent the week?

We found this to be the case for us at Hard Rock Hotel a few years ago. They overbooked. When we arrived late in the evening, were told all rooms w/pool view were filled...........we got Club level the whole week. Not bad for $129 a night. The downside was our view was not of the pool, which was what I really wanted since I never had a pool view room. Oh well, we had free breakfast waiting on us every morning. Beat getting it in the parks. Fair trade I think.

We booked a standard view room last Oct/Nov for a long weekend. We checked-in around 10 a.m. on a Saturday and were told they could not meet our request for a King bed so were upgrading us to a Savannah view room. Our location was excellent! Judging by the number of lighted rooms at night, the resort was pretty full that weekend; so I feel we were especially lucky.

That works ok if you are at one of the resorts that offers different rooms - but what about the people at the value resorts? Or are all of the rooms more or less the same so their isn't an issue??

littlesuitcase said:
That works ok if you are at one of the resorts that offers different rooms - but what about the people at the value resorts? Or are all of the rooms more or less the same so their isn't an issue??

well the main thing at value, is personal preference on where you want to be located, do you want close to main building, parking, buses, a pool, corner room,near ice machine, away ice machine, what floor do you want.... there arent many room choices other than double beds or king...

The reason I ask is that we are not flying in until later in the day and don't expect to check in until around 8pm. I understand from reading these boards that what you want in terms of preferences is not always what they can give you - I just worry that by 8pm there will not be much left if we don't like what they have us slated for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter