Does anyone know how much those Hallmark movie stars

moon

DIS Veteran
get paid?

You know, like Candace Cameron, Alicia Witt, Lacy Chabert, etc.

I know their salaries are nowhere near the millions that big screen star make. Do they earn 100k? more than that? Less?

I googled it and don't know how accurate, but Candace Cameron Bure earns approximately 1million per year. Alicia Witt (cannot stand her) is around $150K, Lacey Chabert was $350K and Danica McKeller was in the neighborhood of $300K as well. I didn't look up any others. I tend to like simple, sappy movies on occasion so I watch most of the Hallmark movies.

I googled it and don't know how accurate, but Candace Cameron Bure earns approximately 1million per year. Alicia Witt (cannot stand her) is around $150K, Lacey Chabert was $350K and Danica McKeller was in the neighborhood of $300K as well. I didn't look up any others. I tend to like simple, sappy movies on occasion so I watch most of the Hallmark movies.

Thanks for looking it up! Candance earns so much because she works a lot. Besides the Hallmark movies, she's on The View and that new Full House show (I understand she's the main star, but I'm not sure, I have not seen the show). Really, I don't know where she finds the time to do anything else but work.

Big salary gap between Alicia Witt and Danica McKeller and Lacey Chabert. perhaps is because McKeller and Chabert were child stars, and Alicia Witt...well I have not seen her in anything bur Hallmark movies.

But they all make some very nice money, for what I consider easy work...One movie per year and they are all set!

Alicia Witt was in 2 Weeks Notice with Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock. Didn't like her in that movie either.

Their union sets a minimum rate that everyone has to be paid per day working on various types of productions. Of course they can make a deal above the minimum, and also considerations like producing the movie too.

I can not stand Alicia Witt either, I am glad I am not alone! I don't know what it is about her.

I loved the chemistry between Cybil and Alicia on that show, but everything else I've seen her on since...well.....

I love these movies, but like them better with "unknowns" in the leads.

Terri

She was also in a couple of episodes of The Walking Dead.

I think yearly earnings for actors is so variable that it's hard to put an exact number on it. Some years they work a lot, others years they don't. Only they (and their tax preparers) know for sure!

I don't know about the stars, but a featured non-speaking role recently paid a minor child $12 per hour.

Big salary gap between Alicia Witt and Danica McKeller and Lacey Chabert. perhaps is because McKeller and Chabert were child stars, and Alicia Witt...well I have not seen her in anything bur Hallmark movies.

I seriously doubt Google has an accurate number for B-List actors' salaries. Who cares enough about them to dig into the details of their various contracts to factually find out how much they really make? And I seriously doubt these actresses are making $100,000 per Hallmark movie. I've read it can take an A-lister TV star a few seasons to negotiate that per episode on their TV series. If it was that easy to make that amount for several weeks of work on a very low budget cable channel, more A-Listers would do it during their summer hiatus.

It was previously a real stigma to be caught dead in a cheesy Hallmark movie - even for B-Listers, :crazy2: probably the only thing worse than starring in a commercial. A-Listers don't want a reputation for cheesiness, they want to be thought of as sexy and provocative. Yet, now, since it's become a new (old) trend for celebs to be commercials again, like George Clooney & Danny DeVito in the coffeemaker commercial, Hallmark has been able to get better B-List actresses and former A-Listers, like in the upcoming movie with Kristen Davis, Eric McCormack, Shirley MacLaine. (They are also advertising it as a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie instead, to show that they aren't going to be hiring that calibre for every movie.)

Also, Hallmark notoriously films in Vancouver, Canada, so they can make their low budget movies and TV series much cheaper by not paying the movie & TV crews the union rates they would have to pay if filmed in the U.S. I'm sure that goes for the actors too. Hallmark is advertising that they have 19 new original movies just this season, split on their two channels. That is a lot of movies to have cranked out for an 8 week season.

As for the big salary gap between Alicia Witt and Danica McKeller and Lacey Chabert, Danica and Lacey both do a lot of voiceover work as well as other TV shows. Danica also starred in one of Hallmark's new summer movies. So that reported salary is not just for ONE Hallmark movie.

Danica: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005211/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Lacey: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000327/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

Thank God Alicia doesn't do voiceovers with her high, shrill voice. :headache: I was actually on the subway a couple weeks ago and heard someone who, very loudly sounded just like Alicia Witt. I actually had to peer around someone to see if it really was her. It wasn't. I couldn't believe that another person has that same exact voice. I guess this is why she's in so many Hallmark movies. There are people who sound like her in real life. :headache:

It was previously a real stigma to be caught dead in a cheesy Hallmark movie - even for B-Listers, :crazy2: probably the only thing worse than starring in a commercial. A-Listers don't want a reputation for cheesiness, they want to be thought of as sexy and provocative.

I don't know. The two different car commercials that Matthew McConaughey and Kit Harington are in don't seem cheesy and DANG they're sexy as all get out!

There are plenty of A-lister doing commercials these days.

It was previously a real stigma to be caught dead in a cheesy Hallmark movie - even for B-Listers, :crazy2: probably the only thing worse than starring in a commercial. A-Listers don't want a reputation for cheesiness, they want to be thought of as sexy and provocative. Yet, now, since it's become a new (old) trend for celebs to be commercials again, like George Clooney & Danny DeVito in the coffeemaker commercial, Hallmark has been able to get better B-List actresses and former A-Listers, like in the upcoming movie with Kristen Davis, Eric McCormack, Shirley MacLaine. (They are also advertising it as a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie instead, to show that they aren't going to be hiring that calibre for every movie.)
You're a little off base here; product endorsement contracts are BIG business for celebrities of all kinds, and have pretty much always been.
I don't know. The two different car commercials that Matthew McConaughey and Kit Harington are in don't seem cheesy and DANG they're sexy as all get out!

Cars are a great example, but also consider athletes with sports equipment, actresses with cosmetics and fragrances - some of these deals are worth more than their acting jobs I'd imagine.

Yes, I said that a sentence later.

You're a little off base here; product endorsement contracts are BIG business for celebrities of all kinds, and have pretty much always been.

Cars are a great example, but also consider athletes with sports equipment, actresses with cosmetics and fragrances - some of these deals are worth more than their acting jobs I'd imagine.

No, actors acting in commercials, not celebrity endorsements - an actual celebrity, acting as themselves - fell out of favor for a while. They did do commercials, but usually they were overseas commercials, especially in Japan, where it IS big business, but not here in the U.S.

I think it was partly because of J.K. Simmons, who does all those Farmers Insurance commercials (as a CHARACTER and not as himself,) and winning an Emmy and Neil Patrick Harris later humming the Farmers Insurance tune during the Emmys, and Matthew McConaughey doing a Lincoln car commercial after winning his Oscar, that it became popular again for A-Listers to ACT in commercials again as characters. Also, all the commercials celebrities did overseas can be found online. So they might as well do them here.And the more they are tweeted, talked about and in the public eye is a good thing.

Here are four articles about the fact that it used to be such a stigma, especially if you are of the baby boomer generation. For millennials, not so. If I'm off base, so are The Washington Post. NY Times & Chicago Tribune. So I'm in good company. ;)

The Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...and-why-a-listers-continue-to-show-up-in-ads/

"Gone are the days when appearing in an ad was seen as lame and selling out — such as when Brad Pitt and George Clooney would film commercials exclusively overseas so the U.S. audience would never see.

Now, it’s just common sense in an increasingly competitive marketplace to stay in the public eye however possible. It’s an added bonus if the celebrity genuinely likes the brand.

“I think that because of digital media and social media, people are not afraid of that stigma to be a sell-out anymore,” said Pete Favat, chief creative officer at ad agency Deutsch in Los Angeles. “It used to be that if you considered yourself an artist, you would never sell out for commercial purposes. But the world is getting used to it and celebrities are getting used to it.”"
Chicago Tribune: http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/ct-movie-star-sellouts-0224-20160224-story.html
"[Amy] Schumer's campaign-themed ad, which premiered during the Super Bowl and has played almost nonstop ever since, is one of many signs that hawking consumer goods on TV isn't just for has-beens and B-listers anymore." [...]

Anyone old enough to worry about "selling out" — and, yes, the term does date you — will be scratching his or her head.

But experts say that millennials, the 83 million Americans between 15 and 34 who are increasingly driving consumer and popular culture, are quite comfortable with big actors plugging products. [. . .]

Big movie stars who wanted to be taken seriously steered clear of TV ads — in the U.S., at least. By the 1980s, Paul Newman was doing commercials in Japan. In the 1990s, stars including Brad Pitt, Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster appeared in Japanese ads, according to Japander.com, which defines a Japander as "a western star who uses his or her fame to make large sums of money in a short time by advertising products in Japan that they would probably never use." The word can also be used as a verb.

There was a ripple of surprise — and discontent — when Brad Pitt filmed a lamentably goofy Chanel ad that aired in the U.S. in 2012, and YouTube comments sections suggest that some viewers still see a TV ad as a step down for a star.

New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/12/business/worldbusiness/12iht-adco.3132673.html
"At some point in the last five years, Hollywood snobbery toward commercials seemed to evaporate, leaving only a few actors holding out. About 20 percent of ads in the United States feature celebrities, up from closer to 10 percent only a decade ago. [...]

"That old stigma that celebrities were selling out by doing a commercial has gone by the wayside," said Linda Kaplan Thaler, chief executive and creative officer of Kaplan Thaler Group, an ad agency owned by Publicis Groupe. "The days of Brad Pitt doing a commercial in Japan that he thought no one was going to see are gone." [...]

As recently as 2000, it was common for celebrities to negotiate contracts that prohibited commercials they made elsewhere from being aired in the United States. Many celebrities saw the TV spots as potentially harmful to their reputations back home. . . [...]

"I think these days it's acceptable," said Camille Hackney, senior vice president for brand partnership and commercial licensing at Atlantic Records, which is owned by the Warner Music Group. "In the artist community, you're no longer vilified if you do it, and for consumers, it's something that they come to expect." "​

From IBTimes: http://www.ibtimes.com/why-matthew-...al-signals-cultural-shift-ideas-about-1707077

"For years, A-list Hollywood treated TV commercials with extreme caution. While many felt free to shill products abroad -- a phenomenon illustrated by Bill Murray's character in the 2003 "Lost In Translation" -- TV ads were thought to be beneath serious movie stars. But McConaughey's presence is the most brazen indication that there’s not much of a taboo left, signaling a change in the notion of celebrity and the growing cachet of TV. What's more, “selling out” means little to many young people who’ve grown up with the idea of the celebrity endorsement and the understanding of celebrities as brands.

There just isn't a stigma to doing TV, or commercials on TV, anymore."​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter