Does anyone have experience with a 2 year old wearing a mask at MK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boardgaming

Earning My Ears
Going to be in St Augustine next week and thinking about a day trip to MK.

Will be my wife and 3 children ages 22, 18, and 12. The 22 year old is married and has a two year old daughter. We would love to give our granddaughter her first Disney experience but we are concerned about her wearing a mask as she is having a hard time wearing it around town when shopping.

Does anyone have any experience since MK opened back up on 2 year olds wearing mask and how strict the enforcement will be? All the rest of us will be in masks but it maybe problematic keeping the 2 year old in a mask.

I would welcome any experiences or advice. But I am not interested in debating mask wearing and 2 year olds

Thank you in Advance!

I will follow this thread. In the UK children under 11 or with disabilities are exempt. I didn’t realise that everyone has to currently at Disney. Perhaps a visor might be easier - could have ears on! But a 2 year old will be tough!

My DS just turned 2 at the end of April. We try our best, but not surprisingly he does not keep his mask on. No one has said anything to him at all. He’s usually in the stroller eating & drinking anyway. We are only in the parks about 2 hours at a time & go back to the room to rest. With current crowds we are still able to get everything done with that plan. We stay away from ppl which is easy to do right now.

FWIW, my 3 year old has done fairly well, but distractions help. I bet in Disney, the 2 year old will be so excited they will leave it alone.

I am among the biggest Disney fans. I may go back in the next few weeks. I will also say that I am not a parent (I hope someday), but I would not risk my son/daughter's health on Disney right now. You don't want to be the parent that says, "I shouldn't have."

This is my opinion only, it does not reflect the opinions of my dogs.

As an edit: Please remember that there was a 15,000 spike in cases here on Sunday and a record 400+ spike in hospital admissions.

I am among the biggest Disney fans. I may go back in the next few weeks. I will also say that I am not a parent (I hope someday), but I would not risk my son/daughter's health on Disney right now. You don't want to be the parent that says, "I shouldn't have."

This is my opinion only, it does not reflect the opinions of my dogs.

Everyone has to make their own choices and should not be judged for doing so.

My DS just turned 2 at the end of April. We try our best, but not surprisingly he does not keep his mask on. No one has said anything to him at all. He’s usually in the stroller eating & drinking anyway. We are only in the parks about 2 hours at a time & go back to the room to rest. With current crowds we are still able to get everything done with that plan. We stay away from ppl which is easy to do right now.
ETA: they also don’t take his temp at entry. Only ours.

I'm sorry if it came out that way. Not meant to. I'll bow out.

Boardgame... I hope you and your family have a happy and healthy visit.

Just to make amends,

I'd like to suggest to you that you get cloth masks. The "paper" masks are so oppressive in the heat here. Have a great vacation.

And NO, I don't have a superiority complex.

Edit: To OP: When I say "cloth masks" I'm not really sure what those are, but I have 2 and they are SO MUCH better than the blue that are used to seeing (a family member send my wife and I 4. HA HA... I4 (Florida Joke). They make it so much easier to breathe, don't fog glasses and are so much cooler on the face.

Last edited:

Thank you for your response. One additional question. When you had him in line for an attraction, did he wear his mask? could he keep it on in the line?

We started practicing back in April, It really helped. I let them pick out their own that they liked. I also have been fairly firm, (they haven't gone anywhere since March when school was shut down) but telling them if they want to go anywhere they need to wear one. I model. by everyone is in the van I put it on to get gas etc. I know my 5 year old hated pants when he was 2/3 but society norms are people wear pants so he wore pants, he wasn't happy but he worse pants if he took them off we went home.

Since you have to make park reservations now, it's unlikely that you could go on a whim. :worried:

Try ear protectors (sold on etsy) they take pressure off the ears and make the mask harder to remove. They work well for masks that slip due to sweat and size on little heads.

This may sound silly, but my 3 yo granddaughter likes a disposable mask with an old child sized magic band connecting the ear loops.

We arrive Saturday, but we’ve been practicing and trying different masks at the Fort Worth Zoo.

Attachments

• A6B18FBF-E1AE-4B94-BD0B-7FC59034772D.jpeg
    A6B18FBF-E1AE-4B94-BD0B-7FC59034772D.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 28
I will follow this thread. In the UK children under 11 or with disabilities are exempt. I didn’t realise that everyone has to currently at Disney. Perhaps a visor might be easier - could have ears on! But a 2 year old will be tough!
Visors are not allowed as a substitute at Disney. Face coverings must have ear loops. You may wear a face covering with loops and a visor but not a visor alone.

I've found with my almost 4 year finding a mask was like goldilocks and the 3 bears. First was too small, next was too big....we've yet to find one that is JUST right.

So maybe find a better size?

My DS2 is closer to 3, but he has done surprisingly well wearing masks for errands, doctor's appointments, etc. In our state, masks have been mandatory indoors for months and now they are also mandatory outdoors when social distancing cannot be maintained. I also have a 4 year old DS. Both children very willingly put on their masks and don't give me a hard time to take them off. Neither of these kids like hats, and DS2 can't keep on sunglasses. Maybe I'm just lucky with the masks. I think it helps to have masks that are "cool" or have characters your child likes. We made DS4 a Batman mask and half the time he asks to wear it even when he doesn't need to. Earlier in the outbreak when he saw me putting on my mask to go to the grocery store, he begged me to take him "somewhere there is sickness" so he could wear a mask too. I think it makes him feel important. Having said all this, we haven't had to wear them in Disney for hours on end yet. We plan to give it a try in a couple of weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter