Does anyone have a suggestion of what photo scanner to buy?

sky nogara

Earning My Ears
I just inherited all of my grandmother's photo albums and probably have over 2000 pictures, some very old in the early 1900s. I want to scan them all and make available to all of my family members on discs. Does anyone have a suggestion of what photo scanner to buy??

I just bought an Epson XP-640 and am very happy with it. I have been copying some of my old prints for scrapbooking.

We just went through the decision process for a scanner also. Our first floor printer does a great job of scanning but since I do all my crafting, photo processing etc. upstairs I didn't want to have to sit uncomfortably downstairs next to the printer to scan hundreds of photos not to mention that we really don't need a second printer in the house.

So I just ordered a refurbished Epson Perfection V39 Color Photo Flatbed Scanner on Adorama for $69.00. It is a slightly older model with excellent reviews for scanning (I checked). I can connect the scanner directly to either of my laptops when I want to scan.

OT: If you Google scanning pictures you will also see other methods suggested including using a stationary digital camera to scan pictures. A lot depends upon the size and condition of the pictures. If the pictures are in the old, traditional sticky back albums you might need to use dental floss etc. to carefully remove them ASAP. There are some great online resources if that is the case. Believe me, I have had to resort to methods like this to get pictures out of 30 year old albums.

@klmall so you are offering a services me i see your website to check?

Hi sky nogara! No services! My website below is just folders and galleries of pictures of my visits to Disney, travels elsewhere etc.

I can offer suggestions for scanning pictures etc. that's all.

Please feel free to ask people here on the DIS if you have questions or send me a PM if you want!

Good luck scanning!

I have an older Epson Perfection V330 Photo scanner, and it works very well. However, it is a flatbed scanner, and I would hate to use it to scan very many pictures.

Open the lid, put picture in scanner, close lid, scan, save file, open lid, remove picture, repeat.

As long as the pictures aren't "sicky" (e.g. have no glue on them), I would much prefer some type of sheet-feed scanner (as long as it doesn't bend the picture too much).

I went with a flatbed scanner for just the reasons you mentioned above mcraige. Many of the photos I still need to scan are priceless family pictures from more than 50 years ago. I would never risk feeding them through any roller type scanner. I don't mind opening and closing the scanner lid to place them carefully on the scanner.

I have a flatbed scanner that's good for the old (I mean really old, 80-100 years) pictures. I am also interested in a sheet feed scanner for our more recent pre-digital photos. Most of these are from the era of "free second set of prints" at photo shops and drugstores so we have backups in case of catastrolhic failures. Also, some family photos from the mid 70s have that textured finish that looks really bad on my flatbed scanner - do I just need an upgrade from my all-in-one?

Literally thousands of photos to go through, would really like to speed things up.

If you are just going to scan picture take a look at this one. If you get this be sure you get the one with the docking. Amazon has it. About !130
I use it to scan picturesand to me does an extemely good job.

Vupoint Solutions Magic Wand Portable Scanner with Color LCD Display and Auto-Feed Dock (PDSDK-ST470-VP)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter