Does anyone have a cross boarder banking bundle?

Marek Zyskowski

Unsophisticated traveler from Northern Highlands
I received an email from Royal Bank regarding the Cross Boarder Banking Bundle. It offers a Bank account in US funds and a Credit Card that works with US funds. I am not sure if there is any avantage to using a USD credit card while purchasing in the US. Anyone use a USD credit card?

I received an email from Royal Bank regarding the Cross Boarder Banking Bundle. It offers a Bank account in US funds and a Credit Card that works with US funds. I am not sure if there is any avantage to using a USD credit card while purchasing in the US. Anyone use a USD credit card?
yes we have one, main advantage is no foreign transaction fee which can be quite Hefty on top of the exchange rate. Just a credit card we don't have the bundle. Only thing to remember is you have to pay the bill in USD funds.

yes we have one, main advantage is no foreign transaction fee which can be quite Hefty on top of the exchange rate. Just a credit card we don't have the bundle. Only thing to remember is you have to pay the bill in USD funds.
How do you exchange your money into US funds to pay the card? I've heard that the bank exchange rates are worse than what a CDN credit card gives you, they potentially break about even when factoring in the forex fee but then I get points/rewards on my CDN credit card.

I've heard that a lot of people do this but I can't seem to get the math to work for me. What am I missing?

How do you exchange your money into US funds to pay the card? I've heard that the bank exchange rates are worse than what a CDN credit card gives you, they potentially break about even when factoring in the forex fee but then I get points/rewards on my CDN credit card.

I've heard that a lot of people do this but I can't seem to get the math to work for me. What am I missing?
1) Some folks have USD income/assets, so it's pretty straight forward for them.
2) If you have a brokerage account, you can always convert CAD to USD by using the DLR exchange traded fund. Total cost is: the cost of two trades (which depends on which brokerage you use) and 0.1% on the spread. So, for say $10k, it works out to ~0.3% if you use TD (i.e., $9.99 x two trades +0.1%).
3) Many people are better off using a Canadian credit card that doesn't charge the 2.5% foreign transaction fee, such as any of the Brim MasterCards, Scotia Passport Visa Infinite, HSBC World Elite MC (and there are a few others, but not many).

we went to the currency exchange location in our city last year and had them issue a cheque in USD funds. I forget how hubby paid, either a personal cheque or Mastercard but I do know the exchange rate is always lower there than the bank for cash and even less when they issued the cheque.

I would add that one benefit of a USD CC is that you can return/exchange without paying the exchange fees on both transactions. If you are booking a high dollar vacation at Disney, and there is a possibility that you will cancel or heavily alter your itinerary you could get slammed with exchange fees on the purchase and again on the refund on a C$ card. There was a story here long ago where a Disney CM refunded the entire vacation and then rebooked because of major changes. Poor unsuspecting Canadian card holder paid the exchange 3 times.

But yes, you will still pay forex fees when converting your C$ to your US$ account to pay the bill for your US$ card with the bank package, and to avoid the double fee above, you would have to carry the balance of the vacation on the card, paying interest until you were sure you wanted to settle. Note that the US banking packages often have a monthly account fee as well that whittles down the value pretty quickly if you don't use it a lot.

I just use a C$ CC with cash back percentage that more than covers the forex fee. It is (to me) the EASIEST solution - I don't have to be playing complex games to convert money and can just pay my monthly bill through my bank (I use the same card for lots of US sourced online shopping as well). This does not provide any benefit on returns however as you lose the cash back and end up paying the forex on both the purchase and return transactions.

I would add that one benefit of a USD CC is that you can return/exchange without paying the exchange fees on both transactions. If you are booking a high dollar vacation at Disney, and there is a possibility that you will cancel or heavily alter your itinerary you could get slammed with exchange fees on the purchase and again on the refund on a C$ card. There was a story here long ago where a Disney CM refunded the entire vacation and then rebooked because of major changes. Poor unsuspecting Canadian card holder paid the exchange 3 times.

But yes, you will still pay forex fees when converting your C$ to your US$ account to pay the bill for your US$ card with the bank package, and to avoid the double fee above, you would have to carry the balance of the vacation on the card, paying interest until you were sure you wanted to settle. Note that the US banking packages often have a monthly account fee as well that whittles down the value pretty quickly if you don't use it a lot.

I just use a C$ CC with cash back percentage that more than covers the forex fee. It is (to me) the EASIEST solution - I don't have to be playing complex games to convert money and can just pay my monthly bill through my bank (I use the same card for lots of US sourced online shopping as well). This does not provide any benefit on returns however as you lose the cash back and end up paying the forex on both the purchase and return transactions.

Yes! Good point about returns/exchanges. We've been burned a bit with that as well.

I have a USD checking acct and credit card. So I buy USD when the rate is good and put it in the USD checking acct. I use CC while in the US and pay it off with the cash in checking acct.
the advantage to me is buying when CAD is higher instead of whatever the rate is while I’m away. I don’t have a fee for my USD acct, as long as I have a certain balance in my Canadian accts with the bank.

I got the RBC bundle last year because my father passed away and I inherited some USD. It was so much nicer on my last Disney trip to just pay in USD and not have to worry about exchange. Plus I was able to set the CC with ApplePay; so it was super convenient paying for everything with tap. If you have an RBC Canada account, it is super easy to transfer between your CDN account and the RBC Bank account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter