Does anyone do Cotillion anymore?

DMickey28

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran<br>Comes from a very
I was thinking about this the other day so I decided to look into it. I was wondering if anyone puts their kids into this anymore?

I did it when I was in Jr. high school, but I don't know if they even have it around here anymore. I would sign my kids up if the offered it.

I only thought the 'society folks' did that. I never knew anyone who did that, in all these years, LOL.

RThe "Cotilliion" was a big deal when I lived in Texas. I don't know if they have them or Michigan, or not.

I grew up in Kentucky but my grandparents lived in Nashville and I did Cotillion there. My grandmother insisted. It was pretty cool and I picked up a lot of little social graces. I stayed really close friends with one of the girls I met.

::yes:: My daughter will be doing it next year (6th grade). It's part of her school's sixth grade year culminating with an event in the spring. I'm glad she's doing it because her manners need some major refinement! :sunny:

I attended mine about 8 years ago... I just wish we hadn't made such a joke out of the experience.

I remember my friends and I taking pictures of eachother playing tennis in our Cotillion dress. :rolleyes: I guess we thought we were funny? :confused3

There are two cotillion groups here. My son was in it for a couple of years, but he just could not stand the music the DJ's played at the dances so he quit. He is kind of a music snob. My daughter is still in it.

They both hated the once a month "dance lessons", they thought the sessions were kinda lame. My daughter does like the dances. They are held at nice country club type settings, one formal the others casual. I think they only do three dances a year now. My daughter does not agonize about what she wears. They also all go in a group, no dates. I like that for as long as it lasts.

My 7th grade daughter just finished up. Probably a lot different from more old fashioned "cotillion" classes from the past or in the South. They had 3 dances through the year - one a Western theme, one a 70's theme & one a 50's theme. Parents chaperoned & provided refreshments. There was a DJ & college students were hired to give the dance lessons. They made it fun & cool for the kids. They learned the two-step & cotton-eyed joe for the Western night, the hustle & the bump at 70's night, etc. They did about an hour of lessons & then the last 1 1/2 was just a regular dance. The lady who organized the whole thing gave them a very brief "etiquette" talk before at the beginning of the first dance. It was mostly just fun & low-key. Very casual. They had fun & I got some cute pics!

Our country club holds Cotillion for 4th -8th grades. My DS10 just finished his second year. They focus on etiquette and dancing. The boys have to wear a suit and tie. The girls have to wear dresses and white gloves. (Who wears gloves anymore?)

At the end of the Cotillion season they have a dance with their parents. My DS10 just said to tell you that it is "pure torture." :rotfl2:

Lori

pirateofthecarolinas said:
Our country club holds Cotillion for 4th -8th grades. My DS10 just finished his second year. They focus on etiquette and dancing. The boys have to wear a suit and tie. The girls have to wear dresses and white gloves. (Who wears gloves anymore?)

At the end of the Cotillion season they have a dance with their parents. My DS10 just said to tell you that it is "pure torture." :rotfl2:

Lori
Ha! Must be a NC thing -this is how we do it too! Love finding those white gloves every year - thank goodness I once worked in a museum and had the curator order some for me (museum people wear gloves all the time to handle objects). The "parent/student" dance is precious to watch, though - next year in 6th grade they will have their own party with a DJ.

Both DDs have learned all the traditional ballroom and similar dance steps. I'm so pleased, because I never learned to dance and it is one of the regrets I have. They also do some swing, etc and they really like that!!!

We have it here and it's very popular - our little neighborhood here in Florida is still pretty southern. :) And yes, the white gloves are required too. DD did it last year, in 4th grade, but skipped it this year, because she had a conflict with her ballet classes. She's willing to do it again, so hopefully this coming fall it will work out.

She's also done a manners class, for the last two years. It only lasts 6 weeks, and is taught by the mother of a life long friend of mine. There's no dancing at that one - it's strictly ettiquite, ranging from how to make introductions and small talk to table manners and thank you note writing.

I forced my boys to go through cotillion and the manners class and it was pure torture but they've now gotten to the age where they've actually thanked me. :) :)

I did it in Junior High. I thought it was fun. It was cool because private school/homeschool/public school students were all mixed together. I don't know if I learned much, but it was worth it.

I did cotillion in middle school, and my cousins in Georgia have all had to suffer through it, too.

(I say suffer through it, but I have to admit a lot of the things I learned in cotillion have been valuable, especially during sorority rush.)

bsnyder said:
I forced my boys to go through cotillion and the manners class and it was pure torture but they've now gotten to the age where they've actually thanked me. :) :)

My son my called it "pure torture" but he really enjoys it. It has made him more confident in social situations. He has also learned how to make introductions while looking the person in the eye. The boys learn how to offer and get refreshments for the girls. He learned when to button and unbotton his jacket. He now gives his father pointers on that one! They also learned ballroom dancing but most importantly how to shag (similar to swing) to beach music.

My nieces and nephews have taken Cotillion in Phoenix and Kansas City, it isn't just in the south. My DD8 can't wait until she can go to Cotillion and wear her white gloves and fancy dresses. She begs to go every year.

Lori

Another NCer whose child did cottilion for the last three years. We got our white gloves at bath & body--spa collection--they're cotton and much more comfortable than the nylon ones the bridal store sells.

DD enjoyed the classes--this year was probably her favorite since this was the year some of the boys finally caught up to her in height.

Our cottilion is only 6 weeks long, culminating in a DJ party.

Excuse my ignorance, I've heard of Cotillion, but living in the northeast, I never knew exactly what it was/is. I'm pretty sure we don't have them up here. Can one of you nice DISer's educate me? TIA!

~Karla :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter