• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does any family & friends tell you that you visit Disney to much?

Yeah, everyone says that to us. We usually go twice a year, but this year because of all the cancer, surgeries etc. we havent gone at all, so now no one is saying are you going there again. I think this time when they will say it, it will be hooray for you etc! instead of the more snider comment etc.

:grouphug:
I hope you make it to Disney real soon.
One of the things I remember MOST about finishing with chemo and stuff after cancer surgery was counting down the days in my head I could get back to Disney. OH, I used to spend hours and hours here on the DIS just reading to get my Disney fix, ;)
And I also recall when I first got diagnosed thinking, OMG, was that last trip my really LAST trip! You can see the "gap" in our trips below....that was a really tough time for me and the whole family....
Fortunately for me, I have been able to return (TWICE that year) and I have to say, returning to our "home away from home", "fuzzy, short haired" and all and walking on that Bridge at POR with the lights twinkling and looking at the sky will NEVER leave my mind. It was an amazing experience and I know how blessed I am each and every day...LIFE can change on a dime, so one has to ENJOY our time regardless of what others may think is not ideal for them :lovestruc
So, Best of Luck to you as you battle with cancer, stay focused on your future. You are in my prayers!!

I get this one constantly. I'm amazed how many people don't get it. I have been on several other vacations and nothing even comes close as far as the options and the pure excitment.

A Disney vacation fits my personality in everyway. I'm a 45 year old kid at heart who was turned on to Disney as a child. I love the magical feeling I get when I first arrive and there is something that happens to me when I get there. I actually relax and forget about all the problems of the real world.

Something I tell my wife often about Disney is that no other place makes me feel like that feeling of being on vacation the way Disney does. On a few off years when we went someplace else, I was actually thinking about how much I missed Disney.

My daughter has gotten the Disney bug also. She is 14 now and has been going almost annually since she was 4. My wife likes it, but not as much. However, she does agree that as far as value, there is no better vaction then Disney.

GEEZ, I could have almost written this post ....MY dh is more the one who sees the value...me, the ADDICTED ONE...He is a CRAZY GREAT GUY to indulge me year after year....My DS is 15 now, literally grew up on it...I mean really. every year, knows it like the back of his hand. Alas, teen years, fortunately for me we are traveling with others this year, so he'll have a great time without us (only child) which is tough in itself sometimes....always with mom and dad.
We do other vacations too....cruised and ALL loved it, beach house etc but honestly, Disney is so "home" to me.I just cannot Miss it:confused3 totally addicted......I just LOVE the feeling of Home and Happy and RELAXED......:cheer2::cheer2:
Next year we're doing a BIG trip to Mexico and thats where the DH wants to return, BUT, I also got in a quick trip to the POLY (though I am thinking I may change locations) I could NOT miss a year, no how no way, :lmao:
Now, lets hope for DECENT flights out of NY, so some Pixie Dust to me, :rotfl2:

I went 2 weeks ago and didn't tell anyone at my work because I didn't want to hear about it. They have no idea I went:lmao:

:rolleyes:My DH....He is happy that I am waiting until 2012 - I won't have time until then because of school and all of our debt(except house) will be gone... Doesn't stop me from thinking/talking about it a lot..... It will be sooo wonderful when we finally get to return!!

I went a couple times as a child but this past feb was my fisrt adult trip.

Co-workers would go and I would say `that is not a vacation for me i hate amusment parks` I still dislike canada`s wonderland and places like that but I am a disney addict now lol.

We decided to take dd for 2 days to disney in feb because she was soooo into the princesses....once I saw all the stuff to do including dining I was hooked...2 days turned to 8 and I booked 2 more trips on top of that trip in a 13 month span...oh ya and joined dvc....All from the disney hater lol

So i get people that think they will hate disney I did but now I feel the magic lol

Friends typically make comments about being jealous or laughing and saying that some day our daughters will get married there (that would be amazing). It's family that makes negative comments, but I ignore them. Friends really understand that for us, the magic goes so much farther than the typical magic. It's the only place I know of where we can vacation stress free. Disney is so amazing with their accomodations for our big list of food allergies and dietary restictions as well as their accomodations for my daughter's autism. I think this is why friends DO understand; they know some of our daily struggles and have heard me go on and on (and on and on :laughing:) about how great they are.

I keep telling myself though that we really need to try DL soon since one of my DSDs now lives out there. I really need to do more research on that one. Even just the dining options don't look nearly as good let alone the difference in how hotels are set up (I suppose if we were Deluxe people then it would look different as the DLR hotels are Deluxe; everything not DLR is not owned by Disney which changes the magic; I've never done Swan or Dolphin at WDW either).

We get it a lot, mostly from people who take the same trip "up north" to Traverse or Mackinac every summer. I could understand it to a point if Disney was the only place we went or if the people extolling the virtues of non-Disney travels were world travellers themselves, but my kids have been more places than a lot of the adults who comment on our Disney habit.

We still go cabin camping every summer, hit the indoor waterpark resorts to shake off the winter blahs, and even take a year off of Disney every now and again for a different big vacation. But something we find, no matter where we go, is that nothing compares to Disney when it comes to having something fun to offer all of our kids. With 10 years between the oldest and the youngest, planning a trip that is appropriate for all three is a bit of a challenge anywhere else.

We are DVC members, and one year while talking to my mom about that year's upcoming trip, she asked me "How much longer do you have to keep going there?" :eek: My reply? "Well, we GET to keep going there until 2041" :thumbsup2 She hasn't commented (to me anyway) on any more of our trips. We took them with us back in 1996 (pre-DVC) and have been trying to get them to go again. Unfortunately they usually have an excuse - a few years it was because we were traveling in September - the busiest month of the year for my mom, now she says that dad can't get around very good (he's 70, overweight, very inactive, and has one, maybe both knees replaced) I told her to have him do like I do and rent a scooter. Still no go. I'm tired of begging them - and this year is probably the last year all the kids will be going, which is kinda why I wanted them to go - so they could do things with the grandkids :confused3

Everybody has their thing. My SIL and her family go skiing repeatedly each year, my DSister goes to Mexico several times a year, friends of ours do Vegas a lot, my MIL (when she was with us) did the Catskills every summer. I make no excuses for how we enjoy ourselves and am quick to point out the repetitive things they do in their own lives-Yes, we're going to Disney again. Hey, that reminds me...are you and Bob going to Mexico again this winter? People are creatures of habit and even if its not vacations you can certainly find something about everyone that they do repeatedly and use that to get your point across.

I guess I'm pretty lucky. I've never had anyone comment on how often I go to WDW, maybe for these possible reasons:

1. I'm a DVC owner and usually invite family and friends along. It wouldn't be good for people to make snide comments while also hoping for an invite. ;)

2. The family members and friends I've taken along (some of which have gone with me more than once) come back with rave reviews about the whole experience. So maybe then others think twice about questioning my WDW trips.

3. I also travel to a variety of other places, and many people know that about me. I've been to all 50 states, etc.

4. I don't often bring my travel plans into the conversation with friends or at work. If they ask me, I'll answer of course. But if they don't ask, I'm rather quiet about upcoming trips. :rolleyes1

It wouldn't even occur to me to question someone else's choice of vacation destination. If and when someone questions my choice, I would probably smile and say sweetly, "What an odd question. Why do you ask?" :flower3:

LOL my mom just commented yesterday that we are going twice in one year and I replied that life is short and the time at Disney with the kids is priceless :)

People just assume that's where we're going now!!!!
I do get asked..."Don't you get bored?" and I can honestly say NO!:rotfl:
I do feel a little quilty, thinking that DD should see more of the real world! Not just in Epcot! By the time I was 13 I had visited four countries and many of the states.

I make it quite clear to everyone around me that we absolutely love Disney and have a goal of living in Celebration so we can go every day if we feel like it. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest what they think of that, We're living our lives the way we want to live them and if they don't like it, well, they only have to deal with us until we can afford to move! :rotfl: The one that really irks me though is the people who assume we must have kids if we're going to Disney. We'd like to have kids and would definitely be taking them, but we also love Disney as adults on our own.

We have only done Disney twice as a family, but since starting my new job in Dec 2007, I have been to Orlando 4 times -- my co-workers think I'm crazy & have never been anywhere else.

I've been racking my brain for a month thinking about the "other" places my family should visit in the next few years while all 3 kids still live at home -- frankly, we can't come up with anything better than the Orlando area!

It has something entertaining & relaxing for each of us - forget cost savings over time, etc. - I just want time with my family where most of the time we'll all be HAPPY

NO, I can't say any one has said to me that I visit Disney World too much, since I have never had the chance to go. Although half of my family say that I talk about it way tooooo much.:thumbsup2

We have extended family that loves Disney as much as I do. My sister has caught the bug in the last few years, and we go with her quite often. My husband's brother and all of his adult children are crazy about Disney World!!!

When someone asks me why we spend so much time at Disney I just say that we have vacationed many places over the years and DW is the best, most complete vacation we have found.:thumbsup2

I hear several comments from people about how often I choose to take my children to WDW. My brother seems to think I should take them to a lake or beach & rent a cabin somewhere. I ask him how much he spent on his latest trip to an island in the Caribean (for 2 people) & I can go to WDW for a week (including tickets, hotel, rental car...) for the same price that they paid for airfare for their island trip. I asked him what new experience he had since his last visit & he said this time they saw a sea turtle. Well, I can go see a talking sea turtle, it is air conditioned & I don't have to hold my breath to take a picture!

My Uncle talked me into using his cabin on a lake for a weekend last month. I took all 3 kids. We drove up, unloaded suitcases, wandered around the house...The first question the kids asked? How long do we have to stay here it's boring? The next, "So this is all we do watch the lake? There is only one boat!" :rolleyes:

I am taking them to WDW again as soon as I have enough saved in my emergency fund & to afford a trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter