does a baby count towards a reservation?

mjc2003

DIS Veteran
We have 3 children, one will be 11 months old when we travel next month. I tried to make a reservation at a particular restaurant, and there was a table available at 6 o'clock for 4 people, but then realized I probably need to say 5 even though the baby's just going to be along for the ride.
However, there are no tables for 5 available all night.

What do I do? If I show up with a reservation for 4, but have a 5th infant in tow, are they going to turn me away?

1) Anyone at the table with a seat-position is an extra person.
. . . in-the-stroller
. . . highchair
. . . regular chair
. . . booster seat
2) Since a fifth person needs usually needs a bigger table, you could have a problem.
3) They will try to accommodate, but no guarantees.
4) I have seen people turned away for extra people.
5) It also depends upon how busy they are that meal/day/hour.

We have 3 children, one will be 11 months old when we travel next month. I tried to make a reservation at a particular restaurant, and there was a table available at 6 o'clock for 4 people, but then realized I probably need to say 5 even though the baby's just going to be along for the ride.
However, there are no tables for 5 available all night.

What do I do? If I show up with a reservation for 4, but have a 5th infant in tow, are they going to turn me away?

You are supposed to put every single person on a reservation regardless of age.
If you are planning on having a place for the 11 month old at the table, then he/she will need to be on the reservation. If you're willing to hold said child throughout the meal, then it may be less of a problem. (I've heard it both ways)

In general, if you arrive with an extra person, you in effect "lose" your ADR, and have to compete for a table of the appropriate size. This may increase your wait time quite a bit, or you may be turned away altogether. It depends on how close to capacity the restaurant is at the time.

1) Anyone at the table with a seat-position is an extra person.
. . . in-the-stroller
. . . highchair
. . . regular chair
. . . booster seat
2) Since a fifth person needs usually needs a bigger table, you could have a problem.
3) They will try to accommodate, but no guarantees.
4) I have seen people turned away for extra people.
5) It also depends upon how busy they are that meal/day/hour.

You are supposed to put every single person on a reservation regardless of age.
If you are planning on having a place for the 11 month old at the table, then he/she will need to be on the reservation. If you're willing to hold said child throughout the meal, then it may be less of a problem. (I've heard it both ways)

In general, if you arrive with an extra person, you in effect "lose" your ADR, and have to compete for a table of the appropriate size. This may increase your wait time quite a bit, or you may be turned away altogether. It depends on how close to capacity the restaurant is at the time.

Thank you both. I'd rather not take a chance, the baby is hit or miss, most of the time she sits in the stroller or on our lap but in a month she might have transitioned to a highchair a bit better, so we'd be using the 5th seat. I'll just make reservations for 5 so there's no issue.

The restaurant in question is Le Celier, and on second thought that might not be a great spot to bring 3 little kids.

Thanks!

Thank you both. I'd rather not take a chance, the baby is hit or miss, most of the time she sits in the stroller or on our lap but in a month she might have transitioned to a highchair a bit better, so we'd be using the 5th seat. I'll just make reservations for 5 so there's no issue.

The restaurant in question is Le Celier, and on second thought that might not be a great spot to bring 3 little kids.

Thanks!

Oh dear, thats the worst restaurant to try and squeeze in an extra person! its CRAMPED enough as it is. That restaurant have their tables way too close together. your practically sitting on your neighbours lap! Lol. I dont think a stroller would fit, i dont even know if they'd let you bring it in? :crowded:

I had a similar issue last year and could only get a reservation for 4 and not 5, with 5th being a 7 month old. I was told the number of people in the party is for the fire code. However, I can't imagine they pack the exact amount of people into the restaurant. We went to the reservation for 4 and they placed a highchair at the end of the table for us. It is crowded, but even with a reservation for 5, they would have given us a similar table.

If you really want that reservation, I'd keep the party of 4 and continue checking for a reservation for 5. Good luck!

We were told that even our 3 month old (whom I will wear in a sling or carry the whole time) should be included in the count.

The compelling reason is the fire code. Only a certain number of people are allowed in the building at one time.

Having said that, I did make one reservation for 6 of us instead of 7 because there were no tables for seven and lots of availability otherwise. If they turn us away at the door that's fine. However, I know that Yak & Yeti will not be at capacity at lunchtime in off season when we go, so I am not worried. I'd rather be turned away than eat lunch at 2:30 (the only ADR we could get before the 180 day mark!)

We were only able to get a 4:10pm dinner ADR at Be Our Guest for 7 people. I took that even though that's a lousy dinner time, just because I'd rather eat at that time than be turned away if I made an ADR for 6 for later. (Even though I don't think they would turn us away since we actually don't need a seat for the seventh. I doubt the capacity is ever that close to the fire code.)

Everyone should be included in the ADR, regardless of their age.

It is very rare that the restaurants reach fire code capacity, but it does sometimes happen. If you can get the baby into the reservation, do it.

I have a couple of ressie's for 5, but didn't include my infant, so technically we are a table of 6. If I call to add my little one are we going to lose our adr's? Or are most tables that accommodate 5 going to accommodate 6 with no issue?

Thanks!

You are not going to lose your ADR but there is a very outside chance that you will not be seated with an extra person. Has to do with fire codes, not table sizes. Most of the time, an extra person can be accommodated.

No, you will NOT lose your ADRs if you try to change them. Make sure they don't cancel the old reservation until availability is checked for a new one though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter