Doctor/clinic on board services

kdaniels16

Mouseketeer
How well prepared/capable are the medical services on board? My son has a chronic respiratory issue and while I doubt very highly he will have a flare up, I want to know if they have the capabilities of dealing with something like this. When it does occur we have to go to the ER, receive breathing treatments and steroids. This is not asthma but is similar. Any thoughts or experience with the medical staff? Is there an actual doctor on board or just a nurse?

The medical center is equipped to stabilize patients in most emergency situations. I believe others have reported being able to get breathing treatments but am not sure. There is a fully accredited medical doctor on board.

There is a doc on board. DD had to have breathing treatment once, because she had a reaction to pool chemicals. I think the nurse was there 24/7. She had to call in the doc. But that was around midnight, Doc may be there during normal hours.

There are regular "office hours" for routine things, but the staff is availble 24/7 for emergencies. The medical center on the Magic is better equipped than some small ICUs I've been in! The problem is that there is not enough staffing to handle a patient long term. Thus, the goal is to treat if possible, and stabilize then transport if it isn't safe for a patient to continue on the cruise.

My daughter had a med center visit on our 2011 cruise. The nurse was a....um....rhymes with a person who wears a black hat on Halloween, but the doc was great.

Be prepared to have the bill charged to your onboard account, if you do have to go to the medical center. I went down for xrays, and the bill was over $300.
They could use new xray equipment....at least on the Wonder, it was pretty old and not very accurate. But the doctor was very kind and seemed knowlegeable, and in my case, the nurse seemed a little harsh, but not a witch.

My DD needed emergency medical services three weeks ago on the Fantasy. The doctor and nurse were very capable and compassionate and this was at 1:00 a.m.! The nurse even called to follow up with us later in the morning. We happened to see the doctor walking by on CC, and he stopped to talk to DD and made sure she was doing okay. Be aware that there is a minimum fee of $221 for after hours emergency care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter