• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you use a king size cover on a queen bed?

kkwis2

DIS Veteran
This is budget related as it will likely cost me money that I don't want to spend!

We have purchased new bedroom furniture. :woohoo: Here's my dilemma: I want to also get a new duvet cover. Our current one is old and stained from the dogs. We actually just cover it with a sheet to keep the hair off the actual cover itself. I want to have a NICE bedroom that I like to walk into! SO, we will get a new cover. BUT, our current queen size down comforter (which I love!) doesn't cover the whole mattress. It doesn't hang off the sides or end very much at all. I've just dealt with it for years.

Since I now want it to all look nice, I'm wondering if I should buy a king size down comforter and duvet cover so it will hang more nicely off the sides. Do you do this and does it work?

TIA!

When it comes to down blankets and quilts I always buy a king size for a queen size mattress. We have a king size bed and can't use the quilts I love so much because they are too short so they go on the queen bed and they fit just perfect

Before I read the full post, I was going to say darn straight we use a king size on our queen mattress. But we do it for a different reason. If we don't DW won't let me have any blanket at night. A queen is just to small for two adults that like to wrap up. It does hang off the bed more when it is made though...not that I ever make the bed.

We do, our mattress itself is so tall with the pillowtop and our bed is tall too. It is a lot heavier than a queen size, but we don't ever fight over it since their is plenty. Also because our bed is so tall I have a king size dust ruffle pinned up in the middle to make it the right height and a queen size dust ruffle over that to hide the ugly white part on the king size.

Yup - I use a king size duvet on my queen size bed. It came about sort of by accident (long story), but I love that it comes down further on the sides.

It is a lot heavier than a queen size, .

Can you feel the weight difference while lying in bed? That's one of the things that I really like about our current down comforter - it's fairly light but super warm. No need for extra blankets!

I have a king size comforter on a queen size bed during spring/summer. It looks ridiculous and the comforter goes down to the floor on all 4 sides. But dh is a blanket hog and I have no choice LOL.

My down comforter and duvet is a queen size and it's just barely big enough.

For those of you married to blanket hogs, we found our solution years ago. A month or so ago, I saw the same thing suggested on tv.

We make up our bed as if were two separate ones. He has his blankies. I have mine. We use whatever size we find that we like (though he "stole" my favorite soft king sized one).

We never have a problem with losing our covers and it also takes care of the fact that I like more blankets than he does.

Sheila

I use a king duvet on a queen bed and love it. You don't really need a dust ruffle because the sides are so long.

I recommend the Company Store comforters, they are oversized but fit into regular covers fine, they're just puffier.

Cuddledown makes wonderful comforters, too.

I use King blankets/comforters on my queen size bed also. Queen blankets are too small for my liking.

I have a king quilt and Queen blankets and the really funny part the blankets hang down past the quilt. :confused3 I think it's because the blankets are Ralph Lauren that I bought at the RL outlet on clearance and that they must have been mismarked as to the size. but they hang to the floor if I don't tuck them in while the quilt stops about 6 inches above the floor. I usually don't use a queen quilt because 90% of them are actually full/queen and they are cut to fit a full size bed not a queen bed. If I find a true queen size quilt next time I go to purchase one then I will buy that if not I will stick with the King.

We use a king down comforter on our queen bed.

I would think a king duvet cover on a queen down comforter would not work well.

Since I now want it to all look nice, I'm wondering if I should buy a king size down comforter and duvet cover so it will hang more nicely off the sides. Do you do this and does it work?

TIA!

:thumbsup2 We do this, mostly because then I don't end up with the blankets only covering half of me in the middle of the night. The extra overhang helps keep everyone warm and covered up.

A king sized quilt will work. My question though is won't the dogs stain this new comforter too? Or, sadly, are the dogs no longer with you?

A king sized quilt will work. My question though is won't the dogs stain this new comforter too? Or, sadly, are the dogs no longer with you?

Yes, we had 3 dogs. Just a month ago we had to put our sweet Lanie down. She was only 4 yrs. old but had kidney disease. We still have Samantha, but she is 15 now. Most of the stains came from her as she licks her paws constantly which inevitably gets the comforter all wet and dirty. We don't expect her to be with us much longer. So, only Lexi will be left, and she doesn't spend much time on the bed.

Yes- when we dropped from a king to a queen size bed I used my old spread....I like it a little longer anyway...

I think it's pretty common to size up. I have a full bed in our guest room and use queen bedding on it so it covers better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter