Do you tip carpet installers?

Soupermom

DIS Veteran
We are having carpet laid tomorrow. Do I need to tip the installer? He works independently, not for the store, if that makes a difference. He is picking up the carpeting from Menards however. (Not really out of his way).

Depends on what extras he's willing to help with:
Is he removing and disposing of the old carpet? is he moving furniture in and out of the room? Is he careful not to dent or scratch your walls?
If he is then yes tip him if not then imho don't tip.

I had carpet installed last month and it never even occurred to me to tip the guys. I assume you are paying him a fair price? What he quoted? Why would you tip him? No one tips me for doing my job.

No.

They are paid a set wage for the job done based on...well, the job done. Now, my answer changes if you have the installer do something above and beyond the call of duty. For example, your dog escapes the house and the installer spends an extra hour helping you hunt Rover down. In that case, then it would be a nice gesture to tip the installer.

Now, before you think I just pulled that answer out of my rear pocket, I should tell you that I've been working in the flooring industry for the past 10 years and still work on a daily basis with our flooring installers.

(As an aside and for the good of your installer, please be sure to have "prepared the surface" in all rooms having installation work done. Move all knick-knacks, unplug and move all electronics, move lamps, clear everything off of tables, clean out from under your bed, take off all bedding, and clear the floor of the closet up to about waist-high level. Your installer will thank you for it.)

I wouldn't. I'd offer some soft drinks/water/coffee, but that's about it. I contracted them to do a job. If the job involved something extra, then I'd consider it if the bottom line cost of the job didn't change.

Who don't you tip nowadays? Every service seems to "require" a tip...from Starbucks drivethru to anyone contracted to do a service in your home...to who knows what. I'll admit it and I know it's unpopular but I'm a bit frustrated by this. Where does it stop? Where are the guidelines for tipping? Do you tip your mechanic? Do you tip the drycleaner? Does everything and everyone need a tip nowadays?

Thanks everyone. I used to only tip in restaurants (we are simple country folk) until I read about how many people here on the DIS tip so many people I never considered.

The carpeting is going in the basement and the floor is bare concrete. The only thing they will have to move is the sectional, which we now have in the 3 pieces. DH will be out of town, but I am willing to help as needed. The installer is a casual friend (DH taught his kids) and I'm not sure if his rate is a discount or not ($250-300) for one really large family room. I just wanted to be prepared.

Thanks again! :thumbsup2

That price sounds reasonable, depending on the size of the basement. We charge $.66/sf for installation (Nashville). The sofa would be extra and I would most likely charge you an additional $35 for moving it unless it has a bed in one section. Then your price would jump to $50.

I don't know what market value in your area is, but at $.66/sf $300 would be approximately 455sf of carpet or a 12x39. This is presuming that you are installing pad and not gluing the carpet down.

Man...I have been in this business waaaay too long.

Possibly. As with any service industry I interact with, if they act professional and like they give a darn, I'll likely give the workers $x and tell them to get lunch on me. You'd be surprised how much that means to some people. Clay Walker - Chain of Love song is a good point of reference.

The carpet is pre-padded, something new I think, sort of. Anyway, they are just gluing it down and at this moment they are 90 minutes late. We are pretty laid back, but I am getting a bit irritated. DH called them from the road and they said they are running and bit lat and would be here in 25 minutes; that was 45 minutes ago. I think I'll skip the tip.

FWIW, I would guess the room is 20x20 or so, but it has a cut-away corner so it is really smaller than that in 1/2 the room.

Thanks again for your comments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter