Do you think this would help the Fort wifi?

I will check with bert. Looking at it, it looks like you are using cellular data to have a Wi-Fi signal in the RV. This will obviously help as you would not use the Disney wi fi. I am in cheap mode so trying to use the free wi fi. We have decided before our next trip we are getting the mi fi through Verizon and fmca. It is a two year plan but at $50 a month think I will do it, which is not the cheap mode :). Our next trip is gulf shores and we have Internet problems there. I am sure I will be back at the fort in the fall, if I come back I need something better than Disney wi fi.

I will check with bert. Looking at it, it looks like you are using cellular data to have a Wi-Fi signal in the RV. This will obviously help as you would not use the Disney wi fi. I am in cheap mode so trying to use the free wi fi. We have decided before our next trip we are getting the mi fi through Verizon and fmca. It is a two year plan but at $50 a month think I will do it, which is not the cheap mode :). Our next trip is gulf shores and we have Internet problems there. I am sure I will be back at the fort in the fall, if I come back I need something better than Disney wi fi.
There is actually 2 versions of this. 1. has a wifi extender.. 2. Has it's own 4GLTE. I am wondering if #1 will work. It would help you be able to work at The Fort with an investment of $200.00.

I have the Verizon, it's ok. It's $10.00 a month for the service + data plan. Not cheap.

i was wondering if it had the wi fi extender or should i say amplifier because that is what we need. While the fort the last few trips has not been good to us for the wi fi, this site is particularly bad. I have been able to get some signal some of the time outside or in the front of the coach but nothing in the back. I think i get a bit lucky during the day as people are out, but i am seeing lots of snow birds in our loop so i think quite a few people are hanging out and not at the parks. i can't wait to be one of those people, but it is not my time yet.

Biggest problem is the number of people trying to Stream or whatever. Even the FT has limited capacity, all an amp will do is get you the signal it will not help if the system is overloaded with users.

Biggest problem is the number of people trying to Stream or whatever. Even the FT has limited capacity, all an amp will do is get you the signal it will not help if the system is overloaded with users.

you hit the nail on the head, I do my emails early in the mornings to avoid "traffic"

Not sure of the value this device offers over other alternatives.

It appears to be a combination of a MIFI (wifi connectivity with a cellular data backhaul) and an amplifier for the wifi (so you can wander further away from the camper and still have a connection. Buy their data plan or get a sim card from your current carrier.

You can buy a wifi extender at Best Buy for way less than the cost of this device if you need the extra range and have an existing MIFI. I've got one in my house to push the wifi signal throughout my house and into the back yard where the original signal won't reach.

I have the hotspot/tether option in my cellular rate plan so I don't need a MIFI - I just flip my phone into hotspot mode. The range is fine for the wifi connection for Fort purposes. One time when I was in loop 100 (site 116) I walked to the TE porch with my Chromebook and the connection back to the phone at the camper still worked (was charging it). And I can carry multiple users on my connection at the same time (Samsung phone, AT&T service, Android o/s).

It is true the Fort WIFI varies in speed during the day based on use and bandwidth demands. My approach there lately has been WIFI in morning and mid-day and hotspot at night. But AT&T and VZ have strong signals at the Fort.

I wonder who this is suited for. I mean, maybe someone who has a non-smart phone (flip style) which can't hotspot? But then you could do a MIFI with its own data plan? I must be missing something here.

Bama Ed

Gulf Shores......oh boy, just wish it was not such a far trip for us.

Gulf Shores......oh boy, just wish it was not such a far trip for us.

Agreed. Just can't due 4 days of driving, plus the camping time, at that time of year. Wish we could!

As for the wi-fi, I have to say that I don't even try to use wi-fi at most campgrounds anymore (including FW). There is just too much competition for the bandwidth. We have unlimited data on our cell, and never even get to the 'might be throttled' stage. So, I set up my phone as a hotspot, use it to run my iPad, CPU and streaming television, and it works perfectly. The only time I try to access wi-fi is if I'm in an area without 4g, which is rare.

I will add, for cellular data plan budgeting purposes, that a streamed college football game in its entirety is about 5GB. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!