• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you think the WL is cooler than other deluxes?

mistaroo

<font color=blue>A vacation isn't a vacation witho
Is the WL, which is located in the shady woods, cooler (temperature wise) than the Poly or other deluxe resorts? Any thoughts? Does being in the woods translate into more mosquitos?

Normally We go to WDW in Nov or Feb and vowed never to return in the dog days of summer.......but our newest addition was born in July so we better get used to the heat if we want to spend his b-days at our favorite destination. I'm going to spend a lot of time in the pool wherever we stay, that's for sure.

Thanks for reading this and for your replies.

I think that the trees and the lake may help the WL stay a bit cooler than some resorts but when it's July you aren't going to notice a degree or two. I think the theming of the northwest lodge gives you the *feeling* it's cooler than it is compared to pools at say...CSR or AKL that seem to be in full sun. And with the geyser going off and the surroundings...have a poolside frozen drink and you will probably feel cooler lol. I know the pool isn't large but I personally loved the ambience of the courtyard while sitting by the pool. Just my 2 cents!

We had no more problems w/mosquitos than anywhere else in the parks or from our CR stays. I was kind of worried, too, before our stay. But we were able to sit out on the balacony at dusk with no problems.

I read a thread that said WL was actually more humid--maybe because of all the vegetation and lack of breeze. It certainly does have more shade though. I'd probably try a monorail resort.

swilphil said:
WL was actually more humid--maybe because of all the vegetation and lack of breeze. It certainly does have more shade though.

Ah, good point. Interesting. Now that I think of it, we have very humid summers here and the shade doesn't do much for it. Makes sense the same would be true in FL. When I visited Nevada I was completely surprised how the lack of humidity made the shade so much cooler. In the sun it was hot in the shade it wasn't too bad. Hmmm...another point to consider, thanks! I hope to pick a resort soon so keep the opinions coming, please :)

:cool1: I think the Wilderness Lodge is way COOL.

But in the summer...here in Florida it's HOT :sunny:
everywhere.

I've stayed at the WL twice in the past 2 years while others in my "group" were staying at CR and/or Poly. I didn't feel any discernible difference in the areas of temperature/humidity. Although it is beautifully landscaped, and there are tree lined walkways, the WL is not actually in the center of a forest under a canopy of trees as some imagine. It's not at all like FW. The lodge is simply "surrounded" on three sides by wooded areas. Seems to me it's simply to enhance the overall theme. The way it is designed, the open pool area gets just as much sun as the others, and so is just as hot. There are shady areas, but they are not actually poolside--they're off to the sides and back. I don't feel that the geyser made the overall FL humidity any worse at all. I also didn't experience any mosquitoes. In May there are some other kind of "love bugs" that are seasonal and annoying--but they are at every resort and park. The WL is fabulous--give it a try.

We have stayed at just about every property at WDW and when I think about going when it is hot out I think Ahhhhhhhh, WL.

I am not sure about physically cooler, but for us it is 'mentally cooler'. :cool1:

We stayed there in late October this past year. Coming back late one night the boat captain warned us about the bugs at the WL dock. We thought he must have been overstating it a bit. However, when we got there we were invaded. I've never seen so many bugs. They were in your face, ears, mouth, eyes, nose--everywhere! But it was only one night out of our 9 night trips--weird.

I know the water in the pool at WL seemed cooler, but I don't know overall. I think the theming just makes you think that way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter