Do you suggest trip insurance for my cruise?

MommaluvsDis

DIS Veteran
Hi,

DH and I are cruising using our DVC points in September on the 11 night. Seeing as how his mom is 88 and we CERTAINLY wish nothing but continued great health for her, do you suggest insurance and if so which one?

Disney's is $115.36 for the both of us. If we're using our points and have to cancel, how do we get paid since we used points to book?

I don't know about the points part since we are not DVC (darn!). However, I would buy insurance. Try www.insuremytrip.com for other quotes. I don't buy insurance for any of our other travel, but I did buy it for our cruise last summer, and it was worth it. DD ended up needing to go to the infirmary (ear infection) and we were fully reimbursed after the trip by Travelex.

MommaluvsDis said:
Hi,

DH and I are cruising using our DVC points in September on the 11 night. Seeing as how his mom is 88 and we CERTAINLY wish nothing but continued great health for her, do you suggest insurance and if so which one?

You may ordinarily lead a damage-free life but on a cruise vacation you will be exposed to situations that are quite out of the ordinary...the purpose of a vacation, right?...Undoubtedly some of those new situations could cause you to be injured... Ohhh, the stories! For any little trip to the infirmary the bill will start at $100 and go up from there. One of the purposes of trip insurance is to protect you from and reimburse you for those $100 and up charges, especially if your insurance is like mine...Not in effect when I am out of the U.S. The other purpose of trip insurance is to protect you from catastrophic loss (the unavoidable cancellation of your vacation or really, really serious medical problems that might require that you be sent home...

Disney's is $115.36 for the both of us. If we're using our points and have to cancel, how do we get paid since we used points to book?

For either of these situations...minor medical or total vacation loss, trip insurance is a good thing. It will cover your expenses should the cruise have problems caused by fire, weather, or who knows what other problem and unforseeable circumstance. It is for the second situation that you need to check on the possibility of losing your points investment. I cannot answer that with regards to the loss of points, but whatever currency you pay off your trip in, you're a whole lot better off if you have the trip insurance to reimburse you for non-point costs such as lodging, food, transportation, that will be required if your trip should be interrupted mid-vacation by Norwalk virus, hurricane, or other catastrophe.

Buy some sort of travel insurance. I can only speak of the insurance through Disney. MY in laws were suppose to travel with us 4/8/06 on the Magic, but my dear father in law was in the ER on Sunday and cannot travel. DCL insurance is reimbursing the cruise portion. We didn't take DCL airfare, so they won't be reimbursed for the airfare. You never know what is going to happen.

Poconoboatniks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter