Do you like Riverside or French Quarter?

disneyvoice

DIS Veteran
DH and I are planning at quick trip in June before our big trip in July. It will just be the two of us and we would like to stay somewhere we haven't stayed before so we are looking at Port Orleans. For those who stay there, do you prefer Riverside or French Quarter.

We aren't planning on going to the parks this trip because we are actually going to house hunt, so we will be most likely just be hanging out at the resort in the evenings and heading to Disney Springs/Boardwalk.

DH and I love POFQ. It is DH's favorite resort. Quick boat ride to DS. Smaller resort and love the quaint feeling.

I've never been, but almost every thread about these resorts I've read, clearly states how people prefer French Quarter.

DH and I are planning at quick trip in June before our big trip in July. It will just be the two of us and we would like to stay somewhere we haven't stayed before so we are looking at Port Orleans. For those who stay there, do you prefer Riverside or French Quarter.

We aren't planning on going to the parks this trip because we are actually going to house hunt, so we will be most likely just be hanging out at the resort in the evenings and heading to Disney Springs/Boardwalk.
Riverside is just so beautiful. I wish I could just live there all winter long.

I like them both for different reasons. FQ is smaller and less chaotic. But the landscaping at Riverside is hands down better than FQ. If I was just staying at the resort and no parks I would go with Riverside.

For two adults, French quarters.

I prefer POFQ, and with husband or one DD that is the resort we would go. but with other DD we would do POR, because she wants needs more action, more noise, more life. we all like less noise, relax, peace so if she is not going we do FQ.

Love POR. Quick service is awesome, large with lots of options. I think it's an incredibly pretty resort.

POFQ:

Smaller resort
one bus stop (only important if going to theme parks)
No table service restaurant
New Orleans theme - haven't been since the FC makeover, but found it garish in the past with giant Mardi Gras heads
one pool, relatively child themed
splash area for children at pool
food court
boat to DS
rooms sleep 4
walkway to POR to use their facilities
lovely river views
walkways are like city street scenes

POR

large resort
lots of trails
two themed areas - Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend
Themed pool
other nice but unthemed pools throughout the resort
large food court
Table service restaurant
Yee Haa Bob entertainment
surrey bike rentals
horse and carriage rides
boat to DS
Over the top themed Royal Rooms, mansion rooms or 'rustic cabin' style bayou rooms
walkway to POFQ to use their facilities
some rooms sleep 4, some rooms sleep 5 (small trundle)
much nicer foliage, more lushly landscaped grounds
very relaxing, nice quiet trails to explore
fishing (catch and release)
large gift shop
Lovely river views
picturesque gardens and fountains

We prefer the larger array of options at POR. If not going to the theme parks, the one advantage of POFQ (one bus stop) is immaterial, so I would definitely choose riverside in that scenario as the more interesting/convenient of the two. If you want to be close to everything at POR, then you do need to book either preferred or RR's. Standard rooms have a longer walk to the main building. At POFQ standard rooms are close to everything. Unfortunately there isn't as much of 'everything' to be close to.

You can use all the amenities of both, regardless of where you stay, but obviously if you want to avail of the amenities of either one more than those of the other, it is preferable to stay at the resort with the amenities that appeal to you the most.

We aren't planning on going to the parks this trip because we are actually going to house hunt,

Another Dis-er living MY fantasy! :sad2: ;) Please do a thread just on this trip so we can live vicariously through you. If you'll do that I'm sure we could all vicariously help you unpack when you move in.;)

We've only stayed at PO one time and that was years ago, I don't even remember if it was Riverside or FQ. It was nice but we always preferred CSR if we were staying at a mod. Lots of big fans here on the Dis though, I'm guessing you can't go too far wrong with either choice. :)

When my son was seven years old, the French Quarters worked out well because of the size of the resort and the pool. Now that he is 24 and normally doesn't vacation with us any more, my wife and I prefer Riverside. We like the theme much more, the pool, dining selection and the FQ is just a short hike down the path along the Sassagoula River. Or a nice boat ride if you prefer that mode of transportation.
POR is the first Disney resort that we have returned to, our goal is/was to stay at as many WDW resorts as we can. During our first stay at POR we were in the Magnolia Bend area, but after taking a horse drawn carriage ride through Alligator Bayou we really wanted to give it a try. If/when we return to PO we will stay in Alligator Bayou again.

Personally, I can't stand the theming of FQ. like POR (Alligator Bayou side) best. I enjoy walking the trails through the lush landscaping, so I actually prefer a room in one of the buildings further away from the main building. Favorite is building 25 which is right by one of the quiet pools. Very peaceful and quiet. Boatwrights is one of our favorite TS places. DW, on the other hand, prefers FQ, but not by much. She just likes the smallness of the resort.

We had a running feud for several years. We solved it by buying into DVC. Now we stay at Poly - relaxing and still relatively small.

Steve

POFQ:

Smaller resort
New Orleans theme - haven't been since the FC makeover, but found it garish in the past with giant Mardi Gras heads
food court
boat to DS
rooms sleep 4
lovely river views

POR

large resort
lots of trails
Themed pool
large food court
Table service restaurant
surrey bike rentals
horse and carriage rides
boat to DS
Over the top themed Royal Rooms, mansion rooms or 'rustic cabin' style bayou rooms
large gift shop
Lovely river views

We prefer the larger array of options at POR. If not going to the theme parks, the one advantage of POFQ (one bus stop) is immaterial, so I would definitely choose riverside in that scenario as the more interesting/convenient of the two. If you want to be close to everything at POR, then you do need to book either preferred or RR's. Standard rooms have a longer walk to the main building. At POFQ standard rooms are close to everything. Unfortunately there isn't as much of 'everything' to be close to.

You can use all the amenities of both, regardless of where you stay, but obviously if you want to avail of the amenities of either one more than those of the other, it is preferable to stay at the resort with the amenities that appeal to you the most.

I would add Scat Cat's Lounge to POFQ. We really enjoyed the live music there on our last trip. Perfect way to relax at night if you aren't up to going to DS.

FQ is the best moderate I've stayed at (I've stayed at all of them) and the food court was even closed when I visited. I absolutely love how compact the resort is, one bus stop and the design. I didn't have to share a bus being picked up, but I did a few times on the way back. However they always stop at FQ first so sharing a bus back isn't bad, just can get packed. Something to keep in mind is that Riverside will get discounts and FQ will almost never have one. I lucked out big time getting a discount last year.

I picked Riverside for my last trip only because we decided to go to Disney, there was only 2 choices left, POR or Swan. Everything else was gone, no Pop, no CBR, no Poly, nothing. So we decided to go with the actual Disney resort. I must say, my entire family fell in love with it! My girlfriend loves New Orleans, and our first date together was The Princess and The Frog, so it all fit in rather nicely.

We walked around Riverside and French Quarter, and we liked the Riverside landscaping better. Also, the FQ lobby just feels too garish. I know it's a Mardi Gras theme, but we felt it was a bit overdone. Maybe the Christmas Tree around Mardi Gras decorations clashing with one another?

It's seriously personal preference. Some people like FQ because it's smaller and easier to get around. Some people like Riverside because it's more spread out, so it's quieter.

POFQ:

Smaller resort
food court
boat to DS
rooms sleep 4
lovely river views

POR

large resort
lots of trails
Themed pool
large food court
Table service restaurant
surrey bike rentals
horse and carriage rides
boat to DS
large gift shop
Lovely river views

This is an awesome comparison:)

After staying at both including the mansions and the bayou at Riverside that is a really tough decision but if it were me and we weren't going to the parks (and we've done our share of NON park trips) I have to vote for Riverside as well but the BAYOU.

I wasn't a big fan of the mansions really. Unless you stay in a royal room we thought they had more of a motel feel to them than the bayou. We love the "lush" grounds and woodsy feel of the bayou plus you have the smaller pools if you don't want to go to the main pool which is usually pretty busy (FQ only has the main pool). You also have Boatrights and River Roost for a relaxing dinner and a fun lounge area at Riverside.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter