Do you have a garden? Are you allowed to?

Kay7979

FANTASY NOVEL AUTHOR
I was just wondering how many people have a garden, to grow their own produce and save money. Also wondering if you live in a community that has restrictions as to what you can do with your lot. Are you allowed to have a vegetable garden? We have a small garden and have grown vegetables using non-hybrid, heirloom seeds. We will save our seeds and use them to grow another crop next year. Not everything turned out well since we are gardening newbies, but most of our vegetables are doing well.

You know,we had a garden for the first couple of years we lived in our house, and it seemed to be a very expensive proposition.

We grow tomatoes, green pepper, green beans, and lettuce. Ours isn't expensive because we just get plants (pepper and tomato) or plant seeds (beans and lettuce) and pretty much ignore them. We don't fertilize, rarely water, and occasionally pull up a few weeds. We have a ton of tomatoes, had a good crop of lettuce, and some beans and peppers (peppers will continue into the fall). We hadn't bothered in a few years, but the kids asked to have a garden this summer.

Our homeowners association prohibits them, but that doesn't stop people from putting in small gardens or a few plants.

I might put some tomato plants in next year, but no full garden.

My DS 11 wants us to put in a garden next year but I don't know where to begin! :confused3 The thought of digging up our yard full of rocks is not at all appealing to me, though it would be great to walk outside and pick part of our dinner! :flower:

Our HOA has restricted sizes only 4'X10' but next year ours will be 16'X8' I don't think that's too big and nothing beats a garden tomato! I'm on the board so I guess if anyone "turns me in" I'll just suggest we change the covenants. I can understand not having your whole entire yard not being a garden but I don't think it should matter too much how big it is as long as it is maintained within the boundaries of the homeowners property, and not visible from the street.

We live in a townhouse with NO yard space (well, we have a great front yard, just can't touch it!), so DH and I planted a "porch" garden. We have peppers, tomatos and cucumbers in pots on our back deck. The peppers and cucumbers did great! The tomatos did pretty well, except for the fact I thought I had bought window box variety and ended up with "Big Boys!" We didnt' get many, but the ones we got were great.

Yes, we have a few different gardens. In my own garden, I have green peppers, two different types of tomatoes, eggplant, squash, two different types of chives, green beans, cilantro, and some flowers.
Eggplant here is on the pricier side and our family likes it, so we do save money by planting our own and family and friends enjoy it as well.

No garden, but hearing that it may be possible to plant a garden, ignore it, and still have some veggies is pretty appealing! :earsgirl: I would love to grow some tomatoes--anybody know where to get heirloom variety seeds?

We live in an older neighborhood (built in the 50s and 60s) with no homeowner's association, so we can do anything we want with our yard (which was all woods until the hurricanes hit last year--20 trees down--so we do have some sunny areas for gardeining now!)

We have grown corn on the cob (just a few stalks), tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, peppers and this year, we did watermelon. It was the BEST i've ever had! I think i'd have to think twice about living somewhere where i couldn't touch my land. We have a triple lot and live in a regular town, not in the country.

We have always had a garden of sorts. The quality of the produce you get by growing your own really can't be beat. When space was limited (apartment living or rental property) we would grow our vegies in planter boxes or pots. Combine in a few flowering plants along with the vegies & you have a really attractive potted display.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter