• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you get special occasion perks during DVC stays?

Rock'n Robin

Disney Queen
We will be celebrating our 15th anniversary on our stay, and our son's BDay as well. last year my son got acard signed by Mickey, and I have seen some people getting a card and chocolates in their room for anniversaries. Do you get these type of things on DVC stays? I don't know if I should tell BWV we are celebrating or not.
Robin M.

The only experience we had was at HH last Sept. We were at the member update meeting and at the end of the event I asked the DVC rep to recommend dining options for our anniversary dinner. She gave us a great list of places to try. On the day of our anniversary we received a delivery from the DVC staff -- a Hilton Head basket filled with goodies and a card wishing us a happy anniversary. We assume the DVC rep at the member update checked the sign in sheet and got our name and room number. A total surprise! We called the DVC sales office at HH to thank them for the gift.

I think you can arrange with the front desk to have things delivered to your room (chargeable, of course)

Have a wonderful trip! Happy Anniversary!

Some people have gotten things in recognition so you can try mentioning it. However, PrincessAngel just reported that she mentioned her anniversary and did not receive any gift (although she mentions it might have played a part in the very nice room they were assigned.) I've mentioned a 25th Anniversary, a 50th Anniversary, a 16th Birthday and a 40th Birthday and have never received any recognition. So, it doesn't hurt to try but don't be disappointed.

My wife and I just got back from VB and BWV, where we celebrated our 4th Anniversary. At VB we received chocolate cake after dinner at Shutters (Happy Anniversary written in raspberry sauce), and while at BWV we received a card along with a Boardwalk Photo Frame. When we checked in to both places we were Welcomed Home as well as wished Happy Anniversary.

I guess that we got lucky!

On another Note --- Make sure you check out the New AK Lodge, it is amazing!

:wave:

We were at BWV last June and received a lovely cake for our anniversary. The only time I had mentioned it was when making dinner ressies for the actual day. Guess the CM put it in the computer.

I know that when we were at OKW in jan., one of our party had a BD and we told MS about it. When we came back from the park that day, there were balloons and a card signed by Cinderella. Jerry

When I first made reservations at OKW for our trip in March 2001, I mentioned that DGS would be 6 years old on March 17. I also mentioned it when we checked in.

The day before, on March 16, I again went to the desk to ask about buying a birthday cake. The CM sent us to Olivia's where we were told that they only have chocolate cake. The CM then called the Boardwalk bakery for us, and we ordered just what we wanted.

No balloons, no pictures, nothing...and a lot of CMs knew that it was his birthday, and on St. Patrick"s Day, too!

So, I guess that recognition for a special day is not the usual thing! Consider yourself very lucky if you get a special present!

June

Remember who pays the operating budget at DVC resorts -- the DVC members through annual dues. Any "special occasion perks" at DVC would need to come out of the operating budget. (I can't imagine that DVC management could charge such expenses to some other department's P&L at The Walt Disney Company.)

Should the couple that goes every year for their anniversary be subsidized by the family that goes when their kids are not in school?

It's different at a conventional resort hotel. "Special occasion perks" encourage repeat visits and are a good marketing expense.

Yes, we pay the operating budge at DVC Resorts with our Annual Dues.....so....if we hear other members getting special treatment, and then hear that our "special" occasions are ignored....well, I want my dues back <vbg>. (<vbg> means I'm kidding...I don't want my dues back, I want a cookie!)

Maybe they do every 5th one or something, so people won't expect it, and then, when it does happen, it seems even more special :-).

I was at Cape May once....and, when I made the reservation, I told them that it was my Uncle's birthday, it was his very first trip to WDW, and the CM told me that she was going to put it on the reservation and to be sure that I told them again, when I checked in. So I did! And I made sure that I told the waitress too, I wanted this to be very special for my Uncle (a little Disney Magic), but at the end of our meal all we got was a bill. I was bumming :-(. I talked to the girl at check in and asked them why I was to make sure that I told everyone about my Uncle's Birthday when it appeared that nothing happened, they appoligized (I guess the tears that I couldn't stop really affected them) and came out with a cookie. They wanted to sing Happy Birthday right there...to which I just laughed....it just kind of lost the luster. :-(. My Uncle, of course, did not mind, and we took the cake back to the room and celebrated later that night. I guess this really has nothing to do with DVC huh? :p

We go every year during my son's birthday and I have to agree with the post that said that if people go every year you probably won't have anything special. Actually we only told DVC one time (our first way back in 1991) that it was our son's birthday. We didn't receive any special treatment. We never mentioned another occasion again until 2 years ago when it was our 25th Anniversary. We stayed at Vero, OKW and CRB and told them when we made our reservations. Again, nothing. I will admit I was very disappointed, especially because I'm always hearing such wonderful stories from other people. If anyone receives anything special consider yourself very lucky, but as Pam and others have said, don't expect it. I think what makes it disappinting is reading the posts on line and hearing people's tales of greeting from CMS, pictures, cards, special desserts, etc. Let's face it, all of us want to be recognized, but it seems it just depends on whatever CMS are on duty.

I agree. CM's are only human and sometimes it's alot more fun to surprise someone who doesn't expect it rather than the person who feels entitled to it. ;) Not the best use of grammar but you get my point. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter