Do you ever divide the family for the day?

mom25kiddos

Mouseketeer
We have older and younger children, the older two are really into Harry Potter and we have made the commitment that we will be taking them to US. We have three younger children that really don't know much about Harry Potter, and given we have five kids, the tickets are $$. We were debating one parent doing a couple of days at US with the older two and the other keeping the little three at MK, where we can add a few extra days for cheap. Do you ever divide and conquer? for those that have done US with their kids, at what age is it worth the $$?

We did this on our trip in November. My oldest is really into HP but my younger two are just not interested, plus like you said, it's $$. My husband and ODS Ubered over to see just the HP parts of US/IOA for the day while I took the other two to do whatever they wanted to do at MK.

Not for the whole day, but having a 12, 10 and 2 yr old, we do split up attractions from time to time.

Oh sure! We haven't done for the whole day as there wasn't a need like that but absolutely would in that situation. DD is a thrill junkie and DS not so much, so for example, DD and DH went on MM on the orange side while DS and I went to Mexico pavilion and did the ride there. I couldn't do the tea cups or the carousel so DH took the kids while I browsed some shops or waiting in a M&G line.

We have a big age gap with our kids. They are grown now 35,26 and 20, but when they were little we always split up. DH would take the younger kids and I would take the older kids. I remember the first time I took middle DS to universal, we had planned to take youngest DD with us, but all she wanted to do was play with her new friends in the pool. It was much cheaper for her and DH to stay at the pool than go to Universal!

I don't know how old your kids are, but youngest DD loves Universal so much she had a season pass last year and we live in Indiana!

We have a big age gap with our kids. They are grown now 35,26 and 20, but when they were little we always split up. DH would take the younger kids and I would take the older kids. I remember the first time I took middle DS to universal, we had planned to take youngest DD with us, but all she wanted to do was play with her new friends in the pool. It was much cheaper for her and DH to stay at the pool than go to Universal!

I don't know how old your kids are, but youngest DD loves Universal so much she had a season pass last year and we live in Indiana!
our kiddos are 13, 11, 6, 5, 4. We were figuring the younger ones would not be as keen on US and the $1000 is a lot to spend when we could just add a day to WDW tickets?

our kiddos are 13, 11, 6, 5, 4. We were figuring the younger ones would not be as keen on US and the $1000 is a lot to spend when we could just add a day to WDW tickets?

Just remember that anyone under 7 cannot ride by themselves on rides. It might be difficult to have 3 under 7 at any of the parks with one adult.

Just remember that anyone under 7 cannot ride by themselves on rides. It might be difficult to have 3 under 7 at any of the parks with one adult.

That a great point. You'd be limited to multi person rides like IASW, teacups, etc. Even the carousel may be difficult trying to get the kids on houses near each other so you can keep track of them.

I have 4 kids. 8, 5, 4 & 1. If my sister hadn't come along, with DH not riding rides, I don't know what we would've done.

We always divide and conquer. My husband is the worst for not wanting to do what anyone else wants to do on the day and at the time that they want to do it. So - we cast him off onto his own. When my kids were younger, someone would take the older one to the park of her choice, and someone else would take the younger to the park of her choice. I can't imagine a week of constant togetherness. I guess that's what wine was invented for.

We always divide and conquer. My husband is the worst for not wanting to do what anyone else wants to do on the day and at the time that they want to do it. So - we cast him off onto his own. When my kids were younger, someone would take the older one to the park of her choice, and someone else would take the younger to the park of her choice. I can't imagine a week of constant togetherness. I guess that's what wine was invented for.
your awesome, I love that.

Our oldest little will be turning 7 for our trip, so we should be ok, and we typically go every year so isn't a big deal if we have limited ride choices for a day or two. Thanks for all the suggestions!

We have older and younger children, the older two are really into Harry Potter and we have made the commitment that we will be taking them to US. We have three younger children that really don't know much about Harry Potter, and given we have five kids, the tickets are $$. We were debating one parent doing a couple of days at US with the older two and the other keeping the little three at MK, where we can add a few extra days for cheap. Do you ever divide and conquer? for those that have done US with their kids, at what age is it worth the $$?

Yes we have done that. In 2015, we all went to Orlando, we stayed on property at Universal, and each day DH and DD18 went to Universal while DS12 and I went to Disney. One of the days DH came to Disney with us while DD went to Universal alone.

One trip DH went to see the Harry Potter stuff with his sister and I went to the Magic Kingdom with a 2 and 4 yr old. It worked out well. I had no interest in Harry Potter and it would have been a lot of money for the kids. We had a lazy day and checked out a few things that we normally would have skipped. I really enjoyed that time with the children.

You described my husband, LOL!

We've always split up a bit, but now when he comes, he wants to be lazy in the morning, then hit the gym or go for a run. So, I get going at some point and he'll either meet up at a park, or at the pool for an afternoon break. Wine does help!

I would split up- it seems everyone will be happier (well, most- the parent who stays at MK might have to console him/herself with the money saved).

Last trip, I spent most of a day helping my 5 yo finish Wilderness Explorers while DH and 3 yo went to MK. 3 yo would not have enjoyed another trip to AK, and 5 yo was dead set on finishing. Everyone was happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter