Do you do cash stays in Values/Moderates?

Do you do cash stays in Values/Moderates?

• Total voters

TikiRob

In a Tropical Hideaway
In planning a trip for this summer we decided to book a split stay via cash at Pop Century to get the “2 days free” ticket deal and then 4 nights at Poly. My wife thinks it is odd for us to stay on cash when we are DVC members, but I think it is a wise point-saving move.

Do other DVC owners do this?

*Note: We bought resale so we are ineligible for the DVC ticket promo.

One of the reasons we ended up with so many points was to go more often. I do plan out my points in such a way to get the trips I need. I like 1 bedrooms but if I need to save points, I book a studio or cut a day here or there.

If we're out of points, we'll do that. Havent in a few years, but 5 years ago, Jan, stayed at Coronado for a quick trip, had a summer stay at All Star Music, and then a couple pre and post DVC nights at All Star Movies. Don't think we would if we had points to use, but sure.

Several times in Moderates.
A year ago, I think my room at CBR was closer to the Riviera Skyliner station than any Riviera room, and we went to Riviera to eat several times. The Skyliner almost eliminates the proximity advantage many deluxe have over a moderate or value (Pop or AoA)

We drive down and sometimes we'll get there a day or two early....in that case we'll grab a cash room. We'll just get a room at POP since the refurb or at a moderate. These are just kind of bonus nights.

I didn’t vote because none was exactly right. I stay at value and moderate because I don’t have a lot of points so I can only get one trip a year from my points and we travel down 4-5 times a year.

Several times in Moderates.
A year ago, I think my room at CBR was closer to the Riviera Skyliner station than any Riviera room, and we went to Riviera to eat several times. The Skyliner almost eliminates the proximity advantage many deluxe have over a moderate or value (Pop or AoA)
The Skyliner is great but that depends on what style of park days people like. Skyliner can be very disappointing if using for rope drop or park close. Last Fri the Epcot line snaked back and forth and then all the way down almost to the Beach Club main lobby.
For that reason I don't think Skyliner resorts are in the same league as the other park resorts.

When we bought in weekends had a much higher premium, so if we generally flew down on Friday, we stayed for cash at least Friday night. Eventually point cost came down, and we bought more points. I don’t expect to pay cash anymore for rooms at WDW.

Yes I have paid cash for a room instead of using our points. Before Covid, Special Olympics would hold Stare (Florida) games at ESPN. If my son was picked to participate, I would book my stay at a value, because you’re really never in the room until it’s time to sleep

I could not vote.

We have stayed one night twice at POR and one night at POP. This was because we drove straight through and needed a room for the night before checking in.
Definitely prefer a moderate. Last time we drove straight through, we stayed at the Holiday Inn by Disney Springs.

Otherwise, we have not had a "cash" stay only since buying DVC.

Cash stays are for non-DVC trips.

In the past, I've booked one night in a Value Resort at the start of a trip if I arrived at MCO late at night. The whole reason being that DME would get me on property, I could have Disney transfer my luggage to the DVC resort in the morning and I could hit a park for rope drop.

With skyrocketing resort prices and the elimination of DME, that's just not going to happen any more. Given what I paid for my points way back when, it's actually cheaper to burn those points on a studio for one night than it is to spend cash on a Value room.

We never pay Disney prices on other rooms once we became DVC owners. We will get a room using Marriott points if we are driving up later in the evening on a Friday after the kids get out of school before checking into our DVC room the next day.

Reactions: cm8
Yes! We discovered we love to stay club level! Two stays at Gran Destino, two stays cancelled since club level hasn’t opened yet. More planned in future. I love BWV boardwalk view rooms but club level has its perks.

Since we bought in 2007 we have never stayed at anything but DVC ,we just never needed to .With 1 grandchild and another one on the way If could happen, or we could buy more points.

We’ve had cash stays at values and moderates when we were out of points or saving up for a big trip with family. Now that I’ve inherited other timeshare properties, we stay offsite, but we would consider onsite if we ran out of exchange points too! 😁

Yes! We discovered we love to stay club level! Two stays at Gran Destino, two stays cancelled since club level hasn’t opened yet. More planned in future. I love BWV boardwalk view rooms but club level has its perks.
Random question but I’ve never staid club level and was wondering what draws are. Is it the food availability or are there other perks included as well?

Random question but I’ve never staid club level and was wondering what draws are. Is it the food availability or are there other perks included as well?
Snacks (some resorts much more substantial), coffee, mini cocktail hour, some breakfast style items, and turndown service.
If you truly want to take advantage of the offerings you need to be hanging at the resort the majority of the time.

We have only stayed at Gran Destino so I can’t speak for the others, but the lounge was huge, with a ton of comfortable and inviting seating at tables.. The cast members ( the premier plus of club level in my opinion) in the lounge were very accommodating and friendly (and young)! There was an awesome coffee machine and at night 6 liquors to drink straight up and made an awesome addition to the coffee. Many varieties of beer and soft drinks offered self serve and a variety of Spanish wines. Snacks throughout the day, hearty hot breakfast and more small plates at lunch and dinner, in addition to desserts at dinner. The rooms at Gran Destino are also very nice, new, and the resort has a Spanish theme throughout that appealed to us. There was also access to purchase additional fast passes. We don’t spend endless hours at the park, or go at rope drop any more, so the pace was right for us.

Last summer, we planned A DL trip for the end of September. Too late to get a points room. My friend is a CM and got us discounted rooms at GCH. I did manage to book 2 of 4 nights points and cancelled a couple of the cash nights (first 2). When t
it was apparent that wasn’t happening, we decided to switch to WDW. There wasn’t much available points wise, so we booked a room at CBR. i stayed there pre-DVC and liked it. Plus on the Skyliner.

As we have some dietary restrictions, the lack of Microwaves in the Values and Moderates make staying there for more than a night problematic. That is why we rented a 1BR villa and then bought DVC.

If we did not have the points for our full stay, I could easily see shaving off points by spending cash for our arrival night. Most trips to the East coast from our local airport arrive late in the day, so that first night is usually just a shower and a bed. With DME going away and car rentals more likely - a first night to save points would probably be offsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter