Do I really need to wake up at 3 am?

mlggator22

Mouseketeer
I live in California and I am going out for a short trip in July when we do my son's college orientation. So ADRs open at 3 am my time and I am trying to decide if I need to get up at 3 am to do them.
Day 1 of our trip is just checking in and enjoying the hotel.
Day 2 is Epcot and daughter's birthday - She wants to eat at the Mexican restaurant, but is also turning 21 that day and would like to get a drink at Space 220 lounge. I am thinking this is the hardest one to get.
Day 3 is Animal Kingdom and we don't have any special food plans this day
Day 4 is Hollywood studios - She wants to go to the Cantina and we are also thinking lunch or dinner at Sci-Fi.

Thoughts? Do I need to wake up at 3 am? I'm okay doing it, but would rather not if I don't have to.

Our booking day was a week ago, and we were up at 5:30 am for the 6 am booking. By the time we were making reservations for the last reservations (around 6:15), the only reservations available were 8:00am or 12:10 for Chef's Mickeys.

I did not book any of the reservations you want, but 100% you need to do Space 220 as soon as it opens and most likely the Cantina as well. Not too sure about the Mexican restaurant, and I think you would probably be okay for Sci Fi as long as you are not set on eating at a particular time of day.

I honestly don’t think so though Oga’s MIGHT require it. I haven’t tried for it so can’t be sure. San Angel at Epcot will likely be there when you wake up at your normal time. Space 220 isn’t likely going to happen regardless of when you wake up so I wouldn’t get up early just for that as it 99.9% won’t be there anyway.

You say you don’t have plans for AK so might I recommend Tiffins? We had lunch there last week and it was one of the best meals of the trip. It’s not cheap as it’s a signature restaurant but it’s a great meal and a beautiful venue.

Thank you for your recommendation. I will check that out. Yeah, I figured Space 220 is going to be difficult, especially since its the first day that we want it.

Honestly, even if you are up at 3:00 a.m., I think you have virtually no chance to get Space 220 Lounge at 60+1, and very little chance to get Sci-Fi at 60+3. Oga's at 60+3 and San Angel Inn at 60+1 are probably doable, but you may not get a time you want.

I really wish things were not this way . . .

Space 220 has a stand by line too that at one point was guaranteed to get you a spot if you were willing to wait. Not sure if it’s changed since the video I watched was made or not.

I live in California and I am going out for a short trip in July when we do my son's college orientation. So ADRs open at 3 am my time and I am trying to decide if I need to get up at 3 am to do them.
Day 1 of our trip is just checking in and enjoying the hotel.
Day 2 is Epcot and daughter's birthday - She wants to eat at the Mexican restaurant, but is also turning 21 that day and would like to get a drink at Space 220 lounge. I am thinking this is the hardest one to get.
Day 3 is Animal Kingdom and we don't have any special food plans this day
Day 4 is Hollywood studios - She wants to go to the Cantina and we are also thinking lunch or dinner at Sci-Fi.

Thoughts? Do I need to wake up at 3 am? I'm okay doing it, but would rather not if I don't have to.
Even at 3am Space 220 is hard to get if you’re staying off site. Some places (Sci-fi especially) you really have to book 60 days before, and I say this as a very last minute person. My last trip I got Space 220 only by checking the dis boards cancellation thread every day, couldn’t get sci-fi, got Oga’s pretty easily and got everything else I wanted. Good luck :)

Edit: I see you’re staying on site but for a short period. Gonna be pretty hard: definitely check cancellation thread.

I would prepare to make reservations at 3 am and also be prepared to not get Space 220, Oga's or Sci-Fi. If you don't get them, I would sign up for a reservation alert service. I have been incredibley successful in snagging cancellations through various ADR alert sites - you just have to be prepared to not get those alerts until it's much closer to your trip and, sometimes, the day before you want to dine.

I was able to get all these but absolutely had to be up to do them. By the time I checked to change things later in the day most were gone. I got space 220 lounge at 60+3 by checking for any day available during my stay. There were several times available for sci-fi at 60+5. And a couple times at Ogas for 60+6. And San Angel I was able to go back and change times a day later so that one wasn’t an issue. I wouldn’t wake up early for that one.

I would definitely get up at 3 am you never know unless you try. We went in November around Thanksgiving and when we booked in September got everything we wanted including a dinner at Space 220. Have multiple devices and both the app and website under different browsers all ready. I had issues and had to bring up each restaurant to book. Make sure you search by date and time not just where it says lunch or dinner. Also I recommend you do 50’s Prime Time Cafe at HS instead of Sci Fi. It is a much better experience with great food. At AK we like for TS Rainforest Cafe and for CS Pizzafari. If you don’t mind leaving for dinner we love Boma at AKL.

3am is a normal wake up time for my 65 year old body so I can't comment honestly. :)

We booked 45 days out for an almost sold out week. Every restaurant came available at some point, mostly from constant checking and a little success with finders. Tons of Ogas, all the character dining, Sci Fi. Even Space 220, but that was just once. So many people started canceling and releasing their hoarded ADRs about a week out.

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I am going to go ahead and wake up in a few hours and see what happens. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to sleep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter