Do crowd levels drop after New Years Eve?

IllinoisMommy

Mouseketeer
Please tell me how (or if??) crowd levels drop after December 31st? As in the first week of January...not mid month or end of month. Does this depend if New Years Eve falls on the weekend or mid week (Dec 31st 2012 is mid-week)

I'm in the very early stages of considering a holiday trip...but have read about horrible crowd levels the week between Christmas and New Years.

And how late do Christmas decorations stay up??

THANKS!! :santa:

We were in Magic Kingdom one year on Jan 3rd (don't remember what day of the week it was) and it was very crowded.

Please tell me how (or if??) crowd levels drop after December 31st? As in the first week of January...not mid month or end of month. Does this depend if New Years Eve falls on the weekend or mid week (Dec 31st 2012 is mid-week)

I'm in the very early stages of considering a holiday trip...but have read about horrible crowd levels the week between Christmas and New Years.

And how late do Christmas decorations stay up??

THANKS!! :santa:

Of course they do kids are back in school.

Anytime school is out you are going to have your most crowded days at WDW. Anytime school is in session you are going to see less people. Is it going to be empty - NO - less - YES.

The crowds really start to die down after Marathon weekend. Since NYE is midweek they will die down some after the weekend following NYE but the big drop will come following the next weekend once the Marathon is over. If you wait until the crowds die down the holiday decorations will be gone.

They drop a little after Jan 2nd.Decorations are usually on their way down around Jan 3-4th( usually around the last night of the Osborne Lights)

We were there from the 3rd-10th this year and crowds were really light. We had no problems getting on anything at all. Just be aware that many rides will go down for maintenance following the busy Christmas season, specifically the water-based rides like Splash Mountain and Kali.

We went two times the first week of January, and the parks stayed packed the whole week. That was because of when New Years Day fell; most schools didn't resume til the following week. Last year we went that week again, and the crowds were more on the moderate side. At least half of the visitors were from South America!

Yes, they do drop quickly. By the 3rd or so you'll wonder where all the people went. And all the decorations.

It used to be that parks emptied out after NYE, but no more. Some of it depends on when the holidays fall, but many people plan for the week after now since its value and decorations are still up. We checked in Jan 2 and were there for 4 nights - I didn't notice much decrease over the days we were there. It was as busier than I care for. It wasn't as crowded as the holiday week of course, but it wasn't empty by any means. Our schools didn't go back until the Wed after NY.

Just like the weeks before Christmas aren't like they used to be - there is never a truly off time anymore. We're booked for 7 nights at BLT checking in on Jan 2 next year. Schools here don't go back until the 9th. I expect it will be busy again.

We went the first week of January in 2006, when New Years Day was on a Sunday (hence NYE on Sat. night). The parks were packed that whole week. Because so many schools (like ours) didn't resume til January 9. So much depends on when schools resume; best to check into that first. Great Britain and South America (and lots of colleges) always seem to have extended Christmas/New Years holidays too, as evidenced in the parks during that time.

We're planning on booking our trip for Jan 5-12th, so hopefully we'll miss all the leftover new years crowds, and get out of there around the time mlk crowds come in...wishful thinking?
Or are there other dates in jan that would be better? DH will be going back to school around the 3rd week in Jan, so we're trying to go before then...otherwise we may have to try the week before christmas (which we don't really want to do either). I'm going to be so sad about splash being down :headache:, it's my favorite, but if this is the only time I can go, then so be it I guess.

NYE 2011 is on a Saturday night this year.

I bet most families will travel home on Sunday since school will start Monday.

Most schools in our area and the surrounding districts don't go back until the following week. So many schools have had to cut days from the academic year - breaks are stretched out like crazy.

I've been the first week of january twice. 1st time was in 2006. crowds were very light, then again in '08, crowd were heavier than the first time, but still very managable. Sounds like crowd have picked up for that week over the past few years.

Oh, and Splash was down both times.

I was last there Jan. 1 - Jan. 7, 2004 (Thursday to Wednesday). It was packed through the weekend, and much emptier beginning the 5th or 6th (Monday or Tuesday). I think the decorations were up on the 4th (Sunday) but gone on the 5th (Monday). I remember planning the trip and being sad that the park hours were shorter for part of the trip. When we were there, though, we were able to do so much more (even with shorter park hours) because the parks were empty. I would love to go back in January, you get cheaper rates and it's much less crowded. All the water rides were open, and it was warm enough to hit Blizzard Beach.

From what I'm seeing here the best time to go in January is the last week. The weather may not be great, but the crowds are absent:earsboy:

Most of the schools here in the Chicago area do not go back until Jan 9th. I know we are planning on being in Disney Jan 1st-7th. My guess...it will be packed

Most of the schools here in the Chicago area do not go back until Jan 9th. I know we are planning on being in Disney Jan 1st-7th. My guess...it will be packed

Its the same where I live. Christmas is on a Sunday so schools don't get out until the 22nd this year and go back on the 9th. Normally they are off the week before Christmas and go back right after New years.

Our kids (in Ontario, Canada) don't go back until the 9th as well. We are planning a trip Dec.29-Jan.7th. We expect it to be busy, but are looking forward to it. NYE at Disney - woot!

We were there this year at that time so I had researched it and thought that the crowds would be gone by Monday. (NYeve was on a Friday night) but that was not the case.
Our trip was from Monday the 3rd through Saturday the 8th. And the crowds were still very heavy. We normally travel during Veteren's day week or the week after Thanksgiving so those are the crowd levels we are used to. This was MUCH busier then that! Usually by the mid to late week we have a day that we sleep in just to catch up on extra rest but not this time because we had to be at the park watching the opening ceremonies every morning or else we wouldn't have gotten anything accomplished. And while that is our plan for some of our days it's not what we normally have to do every day in order to feel we are getting anything out of the week. We all 4 were very bummed about the size of the crowds.
Also we spoke to at least 3-4 CM's who commented that the holiday crowds were lingering a lot longer this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter