DLR in May, Grad Night Crowds?

alexi120

Earning My Ears
We're planning an LA trip 5/17 (Wed) -21 (Sun.) I'm trying to decide which two days we should plan for DLR. My first assumption was to make Wed and Thurs the Disney days since they're more likely to be less busy than Fri and Sat. However, by the time we get our rental and drive to DL, we'd be there between 10 and 11am, which would be a tough pill to swallow for this rope-drop girl. My best friend has never been, so I'd like to make DL her first Disney day. If we chose to push this out a day, and spend Wed in LA, we'd be at DCA on Fri, which is a grad night. Any suggestions? How bad are the crowds on a grad night? Does the regular schedule, WOC included, still apply?

TIA!

I'm going from 5/17 to 5/20. Our entire trip is DL-oriented, so we're getting four day hoppers, so our situation is a bit different (We're taking the first flight in, going even though it's past rope drop, and the last flight out for us on Saturday around 3:45pm, so we'll have the morning to squeeze in a few more rides.). However, I have researched this topic quite a bit. You're going to find mixed opinions on grad nite crowds. Someone can correct me if I'm off base, but the impression I get is that if you're not taking kids and you're not generally offended by high school behavior (including language and such), crowds can be manageable. Start off early at DL, because most of the kids won't show up until later in the day. Hop over to DCA later in the day, then back to DL late. The kids have to be in DCA by 10pm for their exclusive party, so DL should clear out of the kids by then (provided the day in question has hours past 10pm).

I would also opt to go on Thu and Fri. Grad Nite is an after hours event, so DCA should be on it's normal operating schedule (including WoC). I would also add a Fri into your schedule because of when you're going; it's before the peak summer season starts, so there is a good chance that some of the entertainment (e.g., fireworks) will only be offered on weekends (Fri-Sun).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter