DLH or GCH Concierge in October?

Jennafoo

Mouseketeer
Now that I've returned from a great week at the GCH Concierge level, I'm ready to book my next trip! My plan is to go for my birthday the week of October 20-27, with probably two Halloween parties that week. I will definitely stay concierge and with a nice view.

One caveat: I am recently disabled post-chemo and I discovered from the amount of pain and serious recovery time on this trip that I'll need to swallow my pride and rent a scooter going forward. (Boo) So, that negates the distance a bit.

The GCH has balconies, park views, afternoon tea at the lounge, and proximity. DLH has fireworks views, a different experience (never stayed there before) and again, proximity may be mooted by a scooter.

However, I think DD is going to be torn up this summer, and I have no idea how that will affect views, distance, noise levels, etc.

What are your thoughts? Should I take the chance, or bite the bullet at stay at the Grand?

Last edited:
Okay, you know what? Let's erase the money part of it, because I'm afraid we'll get into a discussion about affordability and that's not what I'm asking. Plus, while I plan to book now, I will probably have a chance to get less than rack rate as I get closer.

Let's assume the price is equal. Will the construction make the DLH less desirable?

Last edited:

I actually prefer DLH. With a scooter, the room size will be important.

Thanks, Malcon10t. That's actually something I hadn't considered. The room I was in at GCH this week seemed fairly spacious, but I don't know how it would have worked with a scooter... (I've never used one before, but with the amount of pain pills I had to hit this week I should have!)

PS...I also read your posts in the GCH super thread about some issues you had. It seems DLH concierge service is more consistent?

Okay, you know what? Let's erase the money part of it, because I'm afraid we'll get into a discussion about affordability and that's not what I'm asking.

Let's assume the price is equal. Will the construction make the DLH less desirable?
I'd pick the hotel by the one that best suits your preference.
Don't let the new hotel construction interfere with your choice.
Once you are on the grounds of the hotel, DTD construction won't be an issue.

Staying at the DLH, you'll pass the construction but Disney has a way to hide ugly stuff from the guests.
We stayed in the Adventure Tower last week and I thought we'd hear the bands play in the evenings. But nothing...
I did hear the booms of the fireworks and that was it.
My grandkids prefer the pool and slides at the DLH.

As far as room size and a scooter, I've seen many parked in the hallways and plugged in re-charging overnight at both the DLH and GCH.

Geemo

I'd pick the hotel by the one that best suits your preference.
Don't let the new hotel construction interfere with your choice.
Once you are on the grounds of the hotel, DTD construction won't be an issue.

Staying at the DLH, you'll pass the construction but Disney has a way to hide ugly stuff from the guests.
We stayed in the Adventure Tower last week and I thought we'd hear the bands play in the evenings. But nothing...
I did hear the booms of the fireworks and that was it.
My grandkids prefer the pool and slides at the DLH.

As far as room size and a scooter, I've seen many parked in the hallways and plugged in re-charging overnight at both the DLH and GCH.

Geemo

Thanks so much! Right now, I kind of don't have a preference and the GCH had a lot of pluses. But I have always wanted to stay at the DLH and I know at the end of the day, it'll be nice either way.

The scooter thing...I'll deal with that a little closer. I still have to get my head around that I'm disabled enough to need one. :(

. It seems DLH concierge service is more consistent?

The E-ticket club at DLH is our favorite concierge level experience on property. The staff is outstanding (we found the staff at GCH concierge to be somewhat rude/snippy), and we actually preferred the food offerings at DLH much more than GCH. YMMV but I’d personally choose DLH every time for club level.

Post-chemo it takes time to regain strength! You truly may surprise yourself by October. Speaking from experience, things DO get better.
I vote GCH again for its closeness and easiness, along with lots of nice breaks for people-watching and table service meals....and no scooter.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide!
:tink::smickey:

If you do stay at DLH, I would request a tower other than the Adventure tower. If you happen to get a view facing DTD and the construction has started, there's no way they can cover that up.

Since you still get tired, I'd stick with GCH. I've been reading your trip report and I know tired and in pain you were on your last visit. Even if it is only 5-10 minutes closer, that can make a really big difference.

I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of the construction zone for the new hotel. If when it gets a lot closer, it looks like there's an easy way to get through it on a scooter, then you can always change your hotel to DLH. I do have to say, though, that the proximity of GCH is so much nicer.

The E-ticket club at DLH is our favorite concierge level experience on property. The staff is outstanding (we found the staff at GCH concierge to be somewhat rude/snippy), and we actually preferred the food offerings at DLH much more than GCH. YMMV but I’d personally choose DLH every time for club level.

Oddly enough, they were snippy at times to me, too. They REALLY don't like having their group conversations interrupted...

Post-chemo it takes time to regain strength! You truly may surprise yourself by October. Speaking from experience, things DO get better.
I vote GCH again for its closeness and easiness, along with lots of nice breaks for people-watching and table service meals....and no scooter.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide!
:tink::smickey:

I'm thinking you may be right. I know things get better, but unfortunately there are some side effects that become permanent with my regimen, so it may not get better.

If you do stay at DLH, I would request a tower other than the Adventure tower. If you happen to get a view facing DTD and the construction has started, there's no way they can cover that up.

What tower is the lounge in? If I'm in one tower and the lounge is in another tower, there would definitely be no point.

Since you still get tired, I'd stick with GCH. I've been reading your trip report and I know tired and in pain you were on your last visit. Even if it is only 5-10 minutes closer, that can make a really big difference.

I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of the construction zone for the new hotel. If when it gets a lot closer, it looks like there's an easy way to get through it on a scooter, then you can always change your hotel to DLH. I do have to say, though, that the proximity of GCH is so much nicer.

Yeah, good point about those 5-10 minutes....

This is why I didn't want to get into a conversation about how much extra it was, because for ME that money might end up being worth it...

Oddly enough, they were snippy at times to me, too. They REALLY don't like having their group conversations interrupted...

So sorry to hear you were on the receiving end of that as well. Seriously inappropriate IMO. :sad2:

What tower is the lounge in? If I'm in one tower and the lounge is in another tower, there would definitely be no point.

The E-ticket lounge is in the adventure tower... I am interested to see how Disney handles the construction proceedings for those staying at DLH. I’ve heard of huge credits being given at WDW during massive resort construction, so hopefully something substantial will be in place to compensate if needed. Best wishes for an amazing trip wherever you decide to stay. October at DLR is fantastic. :flower:

You'll probably need to get your answer from someone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter