DLH hotel room configuration and Magic Band Glitch..

katyringo

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me about the standard room options at DLH? I thought they all came with the day bed but I guess not. I assume they save those for the folks with 5 people in the room. I was hoping to have it as an option for us since my 10 year old is huge! Our reservation says two queens- but it didn't give me the option. Is there anyway to request those rooms? I don't want a family who needs the 5th sleeper to lose out, but if we ask and they have one do you think we would be lucky?

Second- I am the latest victim of the Magic band glitch. I got a message on my Disneyland account that our magic bands had shipped. Even has a tracking number. The tracking number just states that USPS is awaiting the package. I don't think this means anything and I have seen others getting this glitch on their account. I am hopeful the Magic Bands are at DL by our trip in October. After doing WDW I will shell out the $$ for them. I'm getting tired of the "later this year.. or later this summer" statements...

That is all...

Weird, I hadn't heard about that glitch with DL.

With WDW, ours said it was waiting to be picked up by USPS up until the day they were delivered :rotfl: So that part doesn't really faze me. But interesting that it's even giving you that message since we don't even know when MB+ is going to exist. Hmmmm.

Can anyone tell me about the standard room options at DLH? I thought they all came with the day bed but I guess not. I assume they save those for the folks with 5 people in the room. I was hoping to have it as an option for us since my 10 year old is huge! Our reservation says two queens- but it didn't give me the option. Is there anyway to request those rooms? I don't want a family who needs the 5th sleeper to lose out, but if we ask and they have one do you think we would be lucky?

This is a crap shoot- the only way to ensure you get the daybed is to have 5 people on the reservation (and if you can't book a particular view/room type for 5 for your dates then you already know the daybed rooms are sold out for that view/room type so definitely don't count on getting one if you book for 4). If you have 4 in the room you can ask at check-in but there is definitely no guarantee and we have been denied this before- there are actually quite a few rooms at DLH that do not have the daybed (or we have bad luck?). One time they offered at the front desk to bring a roll away instead but then, after waiting an hour+ for it they called the room and told us actually it wasn't allowed in the room we were in due to space- I'm pretty sure it would have fit between the second bed and the window but would have been tight but they had some kind of list of rooms where rollaways were not allowed and that room was on it. I can understand if they would see it as a safety precaution or something but wish they hadn't initially said it was ok and then backtracked. After two nights of little sleep for anyone due to kids fighting (sometimes while they were asleep even o_O) they did have a room with a daybed available for our last night and let us move over to that but we had to pack up everything, store bags at bell services and "re-check in" to the new room in the afternoon. So now so even when its only 4 of us and not all 5 sometimes I still book for 5 (but I never book packages where you would also be forced to buy the same number of park tickets as room guests).

The other back up option might be to bring a small air mattress or something if your packing space allows and one of the kids is amenable to that option.

Since it's a Disney package that would also add another set of tickets..
Unless its for the payment plan (and even then there's other ways to approach that) there's no reason to book it as a package- there are no savings with this (and you can probably save some buying the tickets through someone like Undercover Tourist).

Unless its for the payment plan (and even then there's other ways to approach that) there's no reason to book it as a package- there are no savings with this (and you can probably save some buying the tickets through someone like Undercover Tourist).

One other reason to book a (WDTC) package is if something were to happen and you had to cancel, you get everything refunded. If you book separately, you're stuck with nonrefundable tickets.

Not a biggie if you know for sure that you're able to reschedule or if you're a local. But if you travel long distance and/or you don't know if or when you'll be back a package is a good insurance policy.

We always do packages at WDW for this very reason.

One other reason to book a (WDTC) package is if something were to happen and you had to cancel, you get everything refunded. If you book separately, you're stuck with nonrefundable tickets.

Not a biggie if you know for sure that you're able to reschedule or if you're a local. But if you travel long distance and/or you don't know if or when you'll be back a package is a good insurance policy.

True- but UT does offer refundable tickets now as well.

I think it's random. My dd and I were in a standard view in May and ended up with a king bed, daybed and pullout chair bed, just for the 2 of us. In 2019 our family of 4 was upgraded to a deluxe view with 2 queens and a daybed.

I'd call and request the daybed. You can also ask at the desk when you check in. They'll try their best to give you what you need.

...wait, really? The WDTC is the one you book through the Disneyland website if I'm recalling correctly. I had no idea everything was refundable. That is a really good perk.

...wait, really? The WDTC is the one you book through the Disneyland website if I'm recalling correctly. I had no idea everything was refundable. That is a really good perk.
It's refundable up until X days before you check in. I just can't remember what X equals. It's either 30 or 5, I think. It might be that is has to be paid in full 30 days before check in, and it's fully refundable up until 5 days before check in? Anyway, that's the only reason we booked a packaged when we did WDW in January.

It's refundable up until X days before you check in. I just can't remember what X equals. It's either 30 or 5, I think. It might be that is has to be paid in full 30 days before check in, and it's fully refundable up until 5 days before check in? Anyway, that's the only reason we booked a packaged when we did WDW in January.
payment is due 30 days before

If canceled before 30 days it's a full refund.

5-29 days before you forfit the $200 deposit but get the rest refunded.

4 days or less there is no refund.

However I've never heard of Disney refusing to refund or refusing to reschedule... have you?

We like to make the payments up to the trip and apply gift cards. The Disney package also allows you to make theme park reservations before your tickets are "paid off"..

I have no idea how I've never known this. Thanks for the info!

True- but UT does offer refundable tickets now as well.

The thing about travel agents is that they 'own' your reservation. Any changes or whatever must be done through them. At least that's the way it was the one time I used a TA for a trip to DLR. I couldn't make monthly payments, couldn't add days, nada. It all had to be done thru her and it was a pain.

Yes, that's correct. There's a refund 'policy' but it's pretty reasonable:

30+ days before check in - full refund
2-29 days before check in - $200 cancel fee
1 day or less before check in - no refund

You can also make monthly payments online. It just has to be paid in full 30 days before your arrival date. And they give you the 'must pay before' date when you book.

The thing about travel agents is that they 'own' your reservation. Any changes or whatever must be done through them. At least that's the way it was the one time I used a TA for a trip to DLR. I couldn't make monthly payments, couldn't add days, nada. It all had to be done thru her and it was a pain.
That's true. I didn't know that when we booked through a TA for our WDW trip and I hated it.

That said, tickets purchased through UT are not this way. You just pay them for the tickets and you're done. They're still refundable, though I think there's a small convenience/restocking fee

True, but as mentioned by another poster, in this case I'm just talking about purchasing tickets, not booking the whole thing through a TA. You purchase the discounted tickets on their site, they send you eTickets within 24hrs (usually it's near instantly). Then you can book your own park reservations etc. as you are ready and all involvement with UT (or GAT or whoever) is done. I have not had a need to make use of UT's ticket refunds but others have reported here that there were able to do so successfully.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter