DLH Area, High Prices 1st Week of 12/19

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
On fence trying to decide whether to add on @ DL for 4/27 & 4/28 prior to our first hawaiian trip:) or skip WDW for our winter trip. Would focus on Vegas & a DL visit during the 1st week of December.

I was shocked at the higher prices I’m finding for the Dec vs April (which isn’t exactly cheap BTW)

Checked crowd calendars & convention schedules, but not really seeing anything huge going on then that might cause a bump up in price. Am I missing something or is does that week in Dec tend to price out higher?

Perhaps, it’s just a bit early to be pricing it? Have only stayed in onsite hotels in the past, not sure when the ‘sweet spot’ is to book the harbor ones?

If your first week in December includes the first full weekend, that is the traditional time for Candlelight Processional at DL. Also, Holiday Time at DLR is a big deal -- large crowds = higher hotel rates. Holiday Time + SWGE? I don't even want to think about how big the crowds could be.
As for booking hotels on Harbor, look for your dates now and book the best deals you can find, after making sure that there is a no penalty cancellation policy. Keep checking the rates as your dates get closer. If you find the rates for your dates have dropped or a special deal has come up, call the hotel to rebook and cancel your old reservation.
This thread has helpful information: www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/.

I've been going around then (last week of Nov, first week of Dec) for the last 3 years. The crowds have progressively gotten worse each year. Now that is the trend for the parks in general, but I think the "secret" may be out in the sense that that is a good time to see Holiday Time before crowds get REALLY bad.

I'm going to add another thought into the mix, although I don't know if it would fit into your schedule. I'm not sure what your time zone difference is between your home and Hawaii, but we added days at Disneyland to the end of our Hawaii trip to soften the jet leg from coming back from Hawaii into the central time zone. It worked great! We didn't feel the time zone change at all coming home. Going to Hawaii we were so excited and having so much fun when we first got there that we stayed up a full 24 hours (could have gone to bed at 23 hours, but at that point, we decided we just had to make it that last hour to say we did!).

If you are looking at this April or this December, you may be looking at the before Star Wars land opens price and the after Star Wars land opens price. December is popular-- we have never been that time of year to DL (have done WDW) and we really want to go!

If your first week in December includes the first full weekend, that is the traditional time for Candlelight Processional at DL. Also, Holiday Time at DLR is a big deal -- large crowds = higher hotel rates. Holiday Time + SWGE? I don't even want to think about how big the crowds could be.
As for booking hotels on Harbor, look for your dates now and book the best deals you can find, after making sure that there is a no penalty cancellation policy. Keep checking the rates as your dates get closer. If you find the rates for your dates have dropped or a special deal has come up, call the hotel to rebook and cancel your old reservation.
This thread has helpful information: www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/.

Thank you for that link. I need to get up to speed re Xmas events at DL. Have never visted that time of year. Had no idea they also offered CP. duh

I'm going to add another thought into the mix, although I don't know if it would fit into your schedule. I'm not sure what your time zone difference is between your home and Hawaii, but we added days at Disneyland to the end of our Hawaii trip to soften the jet leg from coming back from Hawaii into the central time zone. It worked great! We didn't feel the time zone change at all coming home. Going to Hawaii we were so excited and having so much fun when we first got there that we stayed up a full 24 hours (could have gone to bed at 23 hours, but at that point, we decided we just had to make it that last hour to say we did!).

If you are looking at this April or this December, you may be looking at the before Star Wars land opens price and the after Star Wars land opens price. December is popular-- we have never been that time of year to DL (have done WDW) and we really want to go!

My DH would need to take a 3rd week of vacation if not back home 2 days after the cruise.

Finally, got airfare booked for that trip. Was waiting out SWA expanding to Hawaii but received notice yesterday it’s been delayed until likely June, due to government shutdown :crazy: Had to scramble to book flights on alternate airlines.

Will book something to have a place holder then revisit plans.

Thanks for the help

Thank you for that link. I need to get up to speed re Xmas events at DL. Have never visted that time of year. Had no idea they also offered CP...
CP started at DL -- a tradition that Walt originated. Because of this, CP is extra special at DL. If you get a chance to see it, do -- such a special holiday celebration at DL!

CP started at DL -- a tradition that Walt originated. Because of this, CP is extra special at DL. If you get a chance to see it, do -- such a special holiday celebration at DL!

We are going to try, if only SRO for 2nd show. Interesting how secretative and exclusive, oh to be on that special invite list lol

Appears that it’s usually scheduled the first Saturday & Sunday in December. Any guesses if that means Nov 30 & Dec 1 or Dec 7 & 8 this year? If the latter, would need to move our vacation week forward a week to try and catch it.

9CF605B6-E971-41F4-B378-BAD8092D4A1B.jpeg

We are going to try, if only SRO for 2nd show. Interesting how secretative and exclusive, oh to be on that special invite list lol

Appears that it’s usually scheduled the first Saturday & Sunday in December. Any guesses if that means Nov 30 & Dec 1 or Dec 7 & 8 this year? If the latter, would need to move our vacation week forward a week to try and catch it...
I would go with the 7th & 8th -- CP is usually the first "full" weekend in December. Do a search for Candlelight Processional 2018 -- people posted about how they got spots for the 2nd show.

I would go with the 7th & 8th -- CP is usually the first "full" weekend in December. Do a search for Candlelight Processional 2018 -- people posted about how they got spots for the 2nd show.

Sounds good, thanks. I did find some blogs with strategies. An older one mentioned that there are ‘thousands’ of choral performers vs what I have experienced at Epcot. Not sure if they still parade down Main Street or not, but that would be something to see.

Sounds good, thanks. I did find some blogs with strategies. An older one mentioned that there are ‘thousands’ of choral performers vs what I have experienced at Epcot. Not sure if they still parade down Main Street or not, but that would be something to see.
Yup, they do! I caught the last show this year (first time seeing it), and it’s pretty cool!

"Thousands" is a very generous exaggeration! The choirs do still process down Main Street, but not from IASW like they used to. Only from south of the Hub area to the train station. Here is a post with photos from 2018: Candlelight Processional with Chris Pratt - photos and audio Saturday 5:30 showing. And there are posts from 2018 with detailed info about getting a spot for the second show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter