DL / San Diego combo-any suggestions?

kittycruize

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! We are planning a trip to DL in May, or August. We would like to do 3 nights at DL, and go to San Diego for 3 nights. We are WDW vets, so this would be very new to us! Would 2 and a half days in DL be enough? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? We do not want to rent a car, and it will be multi generational. 12 people! Where would you suggest to stay in DL? We would love to stay at the DL Hotel, but I think too expensive. So we are thinking Courtyard Anaheim Theme park entrance. How would you all suggest we get to San Diego? Is there any kind of bus service? Would you recommend the San Diego Zoo, or Sea World? What else would you do in San Diego? Where to stay? Any suggestions would be so helpful!:)

2.5 days is enough to get a good taste of DL, but just know that you won't have time to do everything in that amount of time.

There really isn't any sort of public transportation that will take you to San Diego in 1 straight shot. You could take the ART bus to the Anaheim Amtrak station, I think, and take Amtrak down to San Diego. Then you'll need to take a taxi or Uber from the San Diego Amtrak station to your hotel. But with 12 people, you will probably need 3 or 4 Ubers or taxis.

Amtrak for 8 adults will cost you ~$224 for non-business class, for example, and that doesn't include the other 4 in your party. Renting a 14-passenger van one way would be less expensive than that.

There's also something called Lux Bus, but prices start at $42/person according to their website.

I would do the San Diego Safari park, much better than the zoo and most of the animals aren't in cages but rather in large enclosures together. Food isn't too bad there either.
I agree with PP and rent a large van or maybe two minivans to get that many people down to San Diego.

We're doing something similar except in reverse. We're doing Amtrak/Lyft between SD and Anaheim.
In SD we're staying at the Omni, and doing the maritime museum/Midway, a Padres game, zoo, and Legoland.

The Zoo, The Safari Park and Seaworld are all popular attractions with tourists. The Sarfari Park is in Escondido so if you do not have a car it won't work. But the San Diego Zoo and Seaworld are about a 5/10 minute drive (non rush hour times) so your group could take a couple of vehicles (Uber or Lyft) easily to both places.

But I have to warn you, the San Diego Zoo is a lot of walking up and down some pretty good hills but they have bus tours around the zoo also. It is a fantastic Zoo. I also love Seaworld. It's much easier to get around Seaworld since it's right on the bay and flat. Lots if incredibly beautiful fish/mammals. And a couple of good rides for people in your group who enjoy them. And if you do go to Seaworld, I strongly recommend you go to the Pets Rule show. It is great!!

We are in the early stages of planning a similar trip, though starting in San Diego. We've been to San Diego over a dozen times and enjoy the zoo, Balboa Park, the Midway, going to Padres games, exploring the Gaslamp and Coronado, and driving up to La Jolla and Del Mar. San Diego is a good walking city and it is reasonably possible to get around without a car (in fact, we were just there and my DS and I didn't have a car while DH was at his company's west coast office; we walked everywhere). You can even get to Coronado by ferry, though you then have a bit of a walk to get to the main shopping/dining area.

For the trip we are thinking about now, we'd fly into San Diego and stay 3 days/2 nights, either in Coronado or the Gaslamp. We'd then rent a car and drive to Anaheim and stay at or very near to DL for 3 days. As others have said, there's a train that goes between LA and San Diego but I doubt it's an economical option, though I've not priced it.

We are WDW vets also and the DL aspect of this trip would be new for us too. I'm excited about the prospect! I hope your trip planning works out and you have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter