• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DL accuracy of height requirements

I'm lucky my granddaughter is tall. But it is hard for any age to not understand when they rode earlier in the day, then can't later in the day. It really is a common issue though. My granddaughter is hoping to hit the next marker, 52" so she can ride Autopia alone. So now I get to explain, you can't ride alone til you are 7, and even then someone is going to ride with you because you ARE only 7....

Here she is at 2 years 10 mos...

10405283_10205435150661762_1953200711303189647_n.jpg

Last edited:
Beware of Big Thunder. We just went a few weeks ago with my nephew who measured 40in home. They measured him at the entrance of the queue and he just made it, but they measured him again on the ride platform and he was a smudge too short, so he couldn't ride. I was pretty upset, I mean, why even measure at the queue entrance then? The CM was really nice about it though and gave us a family FP for any ride. He also just missed the height requirement for star Tours but made it onto RSR twice. Go figure.

They measure at the entrance so that people aren't waiting in line forever for a ride their kid may be too short for. Then they measure again to play it safe in case the person at the entrance happened to miss anyone. I'm glad they do it. Better safe than sorry.

They measure at the entrance so that people aren't waiting in line forever for a ride their kid may be too short for. Then they measure again to play it safe in case the person at the entrance happened to miss anyone. I'm glad they do it. Better safe than sorry.
But we did get measured at the entrance and they passed us, then we waited in line and we were still disappointed. They should have wristbands or something that a CM can put on the kid so other CMs know they have been measured. They did not have the double height check for RSR. We rode that twice and he passed both times.

But we did get measured at the entrance and they passed us, then we waited in line and we were still disappointed. They should have wristbands or something that a CM can put on the kid so other CMs know they have been measured. They did not have the double height check for RSR. We rode that twice and he passed both times.

California Law is clear, there is ONE official measuring device per ride, that has been certified by the state, and it is the one that must be used if the child is questionable.

Any other measurement device is only a tool to prevent folks from entering the line when their child is too short.

California does not allow the use of wristbands as proof of measurement, and it is for safety reasons.

Sorry if that wasn't clearly communicated by Disney to you, but they don't make the safety rules. In California, you will find rides have a higher height limits as compared to other states, as the state (DOSH) has an active team that regularly inspects Theme Parks, Amusement Parks and anywhere that has a Permanent Ride at its location. They also must approve any new attraction before it is open to the public, including testing and soft openings. (Only park employees can participate in tests). There is a separate division that deals with travelling rides, such as for County Fairs.

Parents of a child close to the limit really need to prepare their child ahead of time for the possibility that they might not make the cut. Or that they might pass the first check but not the second. It really helps to set up the appropriate expectations.

Do the important rides early in the day, and tell your child the goal is to "hit" the bar. Some sort of shy away from that.

Unfortunately parents have been known to slip wristbands off of one kid and onto another.

I found it accurate. Nthing the suggestion to practice at home. I put a notch on the wall and would hold a book or box (something with a right angle so it was perpendicular), and had my kid touch his head to it. Hitting 40", especially if there's a taller sibling, is huge. When my younger one was two on our previous trip, he was an inch too short, but old enough to know his brother was going on the ride. That trip was a disaster, lots of tantrums. With this ride though, being 40" made everything so much easier, and he was pretty good once he got that his head was supposed to touch, not to duck underneath.

I hadn't thought about kids shying away. My son will likely be around 40 inches on our trip. But when we try to measure him at home he also scrunches down. So I have a feeling we won't be making it on any of the 40 inch rides. Because of his communication delays there's really no way to teach him the proper way, unfortunately. Thankfully...he will know no difference when it comes to missing rides.

There is a second check on RSR, it just meant the CM didn't think there was a need to remeasure. The person that would be held responsible should anything happen will be the CM at the loading position. Back around when DCA first opened, they tried a wristband idea. Parents would get the wristband off a child who was definitely tall enough and place it on a child who just barely missed it. Like I had previously said, my granddaughter made the height requirement for Screamin' for several days, but then one day without me coaching, she didn't make it, simply because she wasn't standing properly. If they are close, they really have to be coached thru how to do it.

ClaraOswald - I would try measuring him away from a ride he'd want. We measured at Soarin' at the stick that is about 15' from the entrance and just told her I wanted to see how tall she was. She was only 2 so didn't realize why we were doing it, but at least we weren't neat a favorite ride. There is also a stick by the fastpass line for TOT and one at the exit for BTMRR.

There is a second check on RSR, it just meant the CM didn't think there was a need to remeasure. The person that would be held responsible should anything happen will be the CM at the loading position. Back around when DCA first opened, they tried a wristband idea. Parents would get the wristband off a child who was definitely tall enough and place it on a child who just barely missed it. Like I had previously said, my granddaughter made the height requirement for Screamin' for several days, but then one day without me coaching, she didn't make it, simply because she wasn't standing properly. If they are close, they really have to be coached thru how to do it.

ClaraOswald - I would try measuring him away from a ride he'd want. We measured at Soarin' at the stick that is about 15' from the entrance and just told her I wanted to see how tall she was. She was only 2 so didn't realize why we were doing it, but at least we weren't neat a favorite ride. There is also a stick by the fastpass line for TOT and one at the exit for BTMRR.
Wow, I can't believe people would be so dishonest! I guess I am a little naive in that respect. It's all moot for us now anyway since we won't be taking the little guy again for another year or two anyway. He is a little daredevil though so I can see him wanting to do Matterhorn, Space and Screamin! Yikes!

I'm just going to say it. If your kiddo is within a half inch, no safety parameter is that critical for a Disney ride, stack some quarters in the heel of the kid's shoe and ride the ride. There's at least that much variance built in to account for differing styles of footwear.

Wow, I can't believe people would be so dishonest! I guess I am a little naive in that respect. It's all moot for us now anyway since we won't be taking the little guy again for another year or two anyway. He is a little daredevil though so I can see him wanting to do Matterhorn, Space and Screamin! Yikes!
They do it. Some people will ignore safety because it is more important that their child ride something. I've seen a mom try hiding an obviously too short child behind her skirt to try and slip him on Indy. The child's comment when the CM called him out was "I guess I didn't hide well enough..." Kid was at least 2 inches too short. Another instance, young girl was wearing a long skirt and stumbling trying to get to Big Thunder. When the CM asked to see the shoes, she had a 3 in clogs on. Without the shoes, she was a full 2" too short.

My granddaughter was 2.5 years when she was passing the 40" mark. I was willing to take her on Racers and Soarin', but I was concerned with Space, and the other faster rides. Two days later, her dad took her on Space and Star Tours. She loved them and has been a daredevil on rides. As soon as she made Matterhorn, that was her new favorite ride, until she hit Indy, then again with Screamin'. Her cousin who is the same age (they are 5 now) still won't ride Space or at of the other fast rides. Every kid is different. Oh, and for her birthday trip, she wants to ride Screamin' 100 times.

He is basically oblivious to what rides even are so that shouldn't be a problem. He's seen some on youtube (Winnie the Pooh and Radiator Springs Racers are his favorites to watch) but I don't think he's recognize them from the outside. I don't even think he "gets" that they are rides.

If your kid is close to the height limit of any ride, the best thing to do is to make them go get measured before the cast member asks. Shows confidence that you know they will get on. And yes, stand tall. I find many kids try to duck under it to avoid hitting their head. Tell them to reach for it.

I'm just going to say it. If your kiddo is within a half inch, no safety parameter is that critical for a Disney ride, stack some quarters in the heel of the kid's shoe and ride the ride. There's at least that much variance built in to account for differing styles of footwear.

Am I the only one who finds these two posts being back to back ironic? :rotfl:

In Nov., my barely 40" DD made it on all the rides in 40" height rides at WDW & UOR in FL. The only issue was at Star Tours, towards the end of PM EMH, when they cleared her at the entrance, but not at the loading area, even though she had ridden earlier in the day. At least we got a paper FP, that we used on our last day to all go on Star Tours again. At Epcot, we were worried about the 50 minute wait for Test Track in case she was not cleared at some point, but it all worked out. In fact, the CM who cleared her at the entrance was also at the loading platform, and was happy to see us, as we were to see her!

Regarding wrist bands, Hershey Park in PA uses them. Once, my son measured just under 48" at the wristband station, but measured at 48" at a ride where that was the threshold for riding alone. So we took his wristband off, and he cleared the 48" requirement the rest of the day!

Hershey also has a 54" MAX height requirement for some kiddie rides, which is an issue for my son on our last trip because he wants to ride them with his little sister. This was in the fall, so he was hiding his 54"+ wristband under his sweatshirt sleeve to sneak on the kiddie rides with his sister!

I made a measuring device out of pvc pipe that is 40.25 inches and we are practicing to have him hit his head on it rather then going under it. He makes contact with it. Hoping it helps him get on the rides.

We were behind a mom and her three kids at Star Tours. One of them was just a smidge too short. The CM even had they try standing and raising their hands in the air.

Her other two were tall enough but not old enough to ride alone together. My son and I offered to take them and she said yes. They were so excited. I later felt a little bad...she might not have really wanted two strangers taking her kids on the ride but wasn't comfortable telling them no. I hope she wasn't too worried.

I wanted to follow up with my experience with my sons height. He got on every ride that had a 40 inch requirement. It was an amazing time. He loved it and couldn't get enough of splash mounts and big thunder. So I would say that all of the ride measurements are definitely very accurate

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter