Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Andre is correct that the Royal rooms have not been refurbished. But they do have the interactive TV's. Here is a picture of the room we had in Feb 2023. It isn't a good picture but you can see that it has the new Welcome screen.

The TVs in Royal Rooms are not the latest 55" Samsung smart sets (almost rimless) that have been installed as part of the refurbs in the other room types. They wouldn't fit inside the decorative enclosure on top of the drawer unit. However although older, they do support some interactive features. This is one of the newer sets above the bench seat in a Alligator Bayou room for example:

1710695815318.png

Andre

Last edited:
The TVs in Royal Rooms are not the latest 55" Samsung smart sets (almost rimless) that have been installed as part of the refurbs in the other room types. They wouldn't inside the decorative enclosure on top of the drawer unit. However although older, they do support some interactive features. This is one of the newer sets above the bench seat in a Alligator Bayou room for example:

View attachment 842573

Andre
Thanks for the clarification. I don't think we did more than just watch TV on the set. :)

We have a standard view room reserved. How do the rooms in Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend differ? What is the theming like? Do you have a preference, and why?

Found the answer on the first page of this thread- sorry! But you can still make suggestions, we always like more information!

Last edited:
We have a standard view room reserved. How do the rooms in Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend differ? What is the theming like? Do you have a preference, and why?

Found the answer on the first page of this thread- sorry! But you can still make suggestions, we always like more information!
The rooms in the manors have a regular dresser. The AB rooms have three drawers along the bottom of the Murphy bed. We always fully unpack our suitcases when we stay more than two nights, which is almost always. The drawers in the AB room are very inconvenient, but we make do. That is the only significant difference for us between the two room types.

The theme of the AB rooms is very woodsy. They remind me of the Wilderness Lodge. I prefer this theme over the manor rooms.

Is Alligator Bayou woods view worth the extra vs. the standard (wanting 5th sleeper)?
How loud is the AC?
Can we easily request extra blankets at check in? I know it is a large resort, so not sure best way to get service.
Can 5'1" DD sleep comfortably on Murphy bed? Thanks!!

Yes, you can request extra blankets when you check in at the resort. The phone in your room no longer calls direct to housekeeping, so any message for housekeeping is passed on to housekeeping from a call center that is not even located at the resort.
Save some money and just go with standard- fifth sleeper. You won’t have a balcony to enjoy the view and you will likely want to keep drapes closed anyway because people will be walking right by your window.
Standard means you will have a parking lot view or sometimes an obstruction like a wall, etc. Buy yourself a Disney gift card with the savings and see what fun you can have with that.
I have never thought the air conditioner is too loud. I actually like the fan noise.
A 5’1” person will find the Murphy bed long enough, but we all have different mattress comfort ideas. They are much more comfortable than most old style pull out sofa beds. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
I never understood keeping the drapes closed during the day, once in a while people may walk by but I could care less. Plus its a lot harder to see into a room during the day because of the reflection. We actually do usually upgrade to a garden view etc. because we do open our drapes and look out the window during the day, not to mention it really makes the room more brighter, which is so much better then staying in a room with lights on during the day. Plus 1st thing in the morning you can see rabbits or ducks in the AB area.

Hi, a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind sharing their experiences.

I have never stayed at Port Orleans before. We have always stayed at Coronado, AK, or off property. I'm debating a short trip with a friend from work to Disney in mid May and leaning heavily towards a 3 night stay at Port Orleans in the Royal Rooms if we go. I've always wanted to stay in one.

1. I noticed Riverside is one of the cheapest option available for my dates in mid May. I was wondering why? Usually, when a hotel is a lot less, there is construction or something about it people just don't like. Is there anything to be aware of?

2. Along that same line, I saw people mention a pool closure in the French Quarter. Any idea when that reopens? We will spend at least one day simply at the resort, and I had very much wanted to see the French Quarter pool.

3. Any ideas or recommendations besides the pool for just hanging out at the resort? We only plan on doing 1 park day.

4. Is there anywhere you can gain access to a microwave on property? Just came back from a trip to Universal, and the hotel had this great warming station open to guests with toasters and microwaves that could be used. Does Port Royal have anything similar? I know there aren't microwaves in the rooms.

5. Considering getting a Royal room. Any thoughts on those? Anything I should know? I've always wanted to try them, and this is such a short trip that it actually makes sense to pay the higher price, but I'm a little concerned about the condition they are in. It's been 10+ years since they were refurbish-ed if I understand correctly. I don't want to pay extra for a room that is falling apart or getting shabby.

6. Lastly, anything in particular to keep in mind or know? Just wondering what all people like or dislike about the resort. Anything special you wish you knew before your first visit, that kind of thing.

Thanks

Hi, a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind sharing their experiences.

I have never stayed at Port Orleans before. We have always stayed at Coronado, AK, or off property. I'm debating a short trip with a friend from work to Disney in mid May and leaning heavily towards a 3 night stay at Port Orleans in the Royal Rooms if we go. I've always wanted to stay in one.

1. I noticed Riverside is one of the cheapest option available for my dates in mid May. I was wondering why? Usually, when a hotel is a lot less, there is construction or something about it people just don't like. Is there anything to be aware of?

2. Along that same line, I saw people mention a pool closure in the French Quarter. Any idea when that reopens? We will spend at least one day simply at the resort, and I had very much wanted to see the French Quarter pool.

3. Any ideas or recommendations besides the pool for just hanging out at the resort? We only plan on doing 1 park day.

4. Is there anywhere you can gain access to a microwave on property? Just came back from a trip to Universal, and the hotel had this great warming station open to guests with toasters and microwaves that could be used. Does Port Royal have anything similar? I know there aren't microwaves in the rooms.

5. Considering getting a Royal room. Any thoughts on those? Anything I should know? I've always wanted to try them, and this is such a short trip that it actually makes sense to pay the higher price, but I'm a little concerned about the condition they are in. It's been 10+ years since they were refurbish-ed if I understand correctly. I don't want to pay extra for a room that is falling apart or getting shabby.

6. Lastly, anything in particular to keep in mind or know? Just wondering what all people like or dislike about the resort. Anything special you wish you knew before your first visit, that kind of thing.

Thanks
1. Riverside is lovely and is always my first pick for a moderate.
2. The French Quarter pool is open.
3. Take a walk along the river and over bridges to enjoy the amazingly peaceful and beautiful resort. Take a horse drawn carriage ride in the evening or just be outside to enjoy the ambiance that the beautiful horses create as they clip-clop clip-clop along the river pathways. Take a boat ride 20 minutes down the river to Disney Springs for shopping and dining. Watch a movie under the stars. Go fishing with a rented pole.
4. There is a microwave for your use in the quick service food court.
5. The royal rooms are unique and are in pretty good shape but don’t have the larger TV or as many places to charge your phone. The Royal Rooms are also the only way to guarantee you will be in the Mansion section vs Alligator Bayou.
6. The resort is absolutely gorgeous with all the landscaping, huge old trees, gazebo, fountains, bridges, riverside walkways, and leisure pools.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! Is the Mansion section better than Alligator Bayou in someway or is it just personal preference which one people like more? Not worried about the tv, doubt we will even turn it on.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to ask. How quiet are the rooms? Do they have the old fashion air-con units you can turn on to drown out noise? I'm a super light sleeper.

Thanks so much! Is the Mansion section better than Alligator Bayou in someway or is it just personal preference which one people like more? Not worried about the tv, doubt we will even turn it on.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to ask. How quiet are the rooms? Do they have the old fashion air-con units you can turn on to drown out noise? I'm a super light sleeper.
It’s a personal preference for me to stay in the Mansion section. Some folks want a preferred room that puts them closer to the main building for food etc. The preferred rooms and rooms with fifth sleeper are always in alligator bayou. The alligator bayou buildings do not have elevators. It’s more woodsy and even swampy in the bayou.
I definitely prefer the Mansions.
The rooms have always been quiet enough for me. The air conditioner is the old fashioned type with plenty of fan noise. I like that too!

Considering getting a Royal room. Any thoughts on those? Anything I should know?
We had a free upgrade to a Royal room last year. The rooms are very cute, but they haven't received an upgrade lately. They still have a carpet while the rest of the resort rooms have vinyl flooring. My one complaint is that they don't have any USB ports. They don't have very many outlets, either. If you decide to book a Royal room then bring a power strip. And they don't have the larger Smart TV that the other rooms have.

Thanks so much! Is the Mansion section better than Alligator Bayou in someway or is it just personal preference which one people like more?
I believe it’s personal preference. First time I stayed I was in AB, I think building 27. I liked the walk through the woods we had to go through to get from our room to the main area. Peaceful and secluded.

Next time I stayed we ended up in a Mansion room. The room was right off the parking lot and our door was 10 feet from our parking space. Coming in the back it felt like a normal motel.

Both times we did mostly the quiet pools and the rectangular pools between mansion buildings felt very “motel” to me. I preferred the smaller but secluded AB quiet pools.

That being said, both choices are great, I just prefer AB.

Well, I'm all booked and super excited!!!

But I thought of a couple more things.

If you store luggage with Bell Services, do they deliver it to your room when it is ready, or do you have to go get it and take it yourself? I feel like I remember both situations happening on past trips, but I might be remembering deluxe resorts not moderate.

How is the current bus situation? It seems like sometimes it is fine and others it is a nightmare. Will it get us to AK early enough (like 30+ minutes before early entry) or should we just Uber. How are the Ubers? Where do they pick up and drop off at the hotel and at AK?

Well, I ended up with Royal Room Woods view whatever that means. It was all that was left for my dates. I am assuming that is somewhere in the Mansion section probably facing the parking lot?

Well, I ended up with Royal Room Woods view whatever that means. It was all that was left for my dates. I am assuming that is somewhere in the Mansion section probably facing the parking lot?
Yes, The Royal Rooms will definitely be in the Mansion section. You won’t directly face the parking lot but you might be close to it. You’ll have a view of trees, landscaping, fountain etc.
As far as buses go, you will want to be out at the bus stop 15 minutes or more before that first bus to Animal Kingdom you mentioned and you might do better to walk a bit extra to use the East Depot instead of the South Depot because South Depot can sometimes be crowded and even confusing. Your experience may vary depending on time of day.
Enjoy Port Orleans Riverside!

Thanks, I know from past experience Disney buses are iffy, so I always give myself plenty of time to walk to the stop and wait. I just wasn't sure how early the first bus got to AK. Sometimes if you are trying to rope drop taking a Disney bus can be iffy on how early it gets there, but I haven't been since pre-pandemic, so I wasn't sure how things were working now. Plus, I know RP is not near AK at all, so it will be a longer ride to begin with.

Thanks, I know from past experience Disney buses are iffy, so I always give myself plenty of time to walk to the stop and wait. I just wasn't sure how early the first bus got to AK. Sometimes if you are trying to rope drop taking a Disney bus can be iffy on how early it gets there, but I haven't been since pre-pandemic, so I wasn't sure how things were working now. Plus, I know RP is not near AK at all, so it will be a longer ride to begin with.
We’ve had good luck with the buses during our trips to POR. The early MK bus can get really long lines for rope drop. But otherwise the buses aren’t too bad.

We stayed in a Royal Room with a Woods View last year and absolutely loved it - it didn't make it feel like a motel at all (though I can see how it might if you were in standard view/facing the parking lot instead). It was peaceful and quiet and we had a lot of lush greenery outside our door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter