Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Need advice on room request. I've stayed at POR before but always in AB, because we had a party of 5. this time it's just two adults, but we MUST HAVE two beds (it's my mom coming with me and she snores terribly.) I booked a garden view, because it's all that was available. I also need to be as far from the designated smoking areas as possible. Any thoughts on where to look for a room request? TIA!

Need advice on room request. I've stayed at POR before but always in AB, because we had a party of 5. this time it's just two adults, but we MUST HAVE two beds (it's my mom coming with me and she snores terribly.) I booked a garden view, because it's all that was available. I also need to be as far from the designated smoking areas as possible. Any thoughts on where to look for a room request? TIA!

I'm not sure where the smoking areas are (maybe try portorleans.org?), but unless you book a king room, you'll have 2 beds.

I'd say word your request just like you told us. The smoking areas change all the time, and what is on the map, today, may be completely different tomorrow. The CMs in charge of room assignments know where the smoking areas are, and they'll do their best to get you as far away as they can.

Trying to book POR for 9/9 - 9/16. The site says no availability. Is that even possible during one of the least crowded weeks of the year? What am I missing?

Trying to book POR for 9/9 - 9/16. The site says no availability. Is that even possible during one of the least crowded weeks of the year? What am I missing?

Try it day-by-day to see which date is blocking you. Port Orleans is likely to be busy for a while though, as guests move over from CSR and CBR while work is going on there. However I see availability for both POR and POFQ for those dates (slightly more limited category choices at Riverside though).

Andre

Last edited:
Lots of people take refillable mugs into the River Roost, but please do remember that you will be in a lounge bar and taking up a table which the wait staff earn tips from, so it would be polite to at least buy a drink or two from them.

No conflict that I can see. All of the Preferred Location category rooms are in Alligator Bayou buildings 14, 15, 18 or 27 ONLY (although not every room in those buildings is Preferred - the King Bed, Pool View and River View rooms are all sold under their own categories). Here's an example of the room layout for building 27, with the yellow rooms sold under the 'Preferred' category:

Floorplan-POR-AlligatorBayou-27.png

There are 12 more buildings in Alligator Bayou though, all of which have the same amenities (such as the Murphy Beds) and can sleep five, and they fall into the regular booking categories Standard, Garden, Pool, River and King Bed. If you simply book any regular room category you might get Alligator Bayou or you might get a mansion building room. AB is not restricted solely for families of five people by the way, there are 800 or so rooms in AB versus 512 in the regular mansions, so they need to accommodate people on both sides. However if you DO have five people (excluding under-3s) then you would definitely get an AB room.

One slight caveat about the AB section by the way: Accessible Rooms have a slightly different layout which means there isn't enough space for a fold-down bed. While it's unusual for a guest who does not have special needs to be assigned to one of those rooms (which are marked with red text on my floorplan maps) it can happen, especially when the resort is very full.

Andre

Yes. This is what happened to our family of 4. Busy August. I believe it was the Room 2733. No problem for us, as we didn't care about the Murphy bed, just the Preferred.

Thank you Andre for the detailed reply - much appreciated!! My mom will have her scooter, but an accessible room shouldn't be necessary & we would never book one and take it from someone who would need it.

I don't care about the Murphy bed at all - just want to stay ground floor AB preferred!

Thanks to all that responded and sorry for the confusion on my part.

Just got home yesterday from a two night stay and as we were walking to the car leaving the resort I literally had a pouty face!!! So sad to go! I switched our reservations for this stay about a month ago from CSR to POR and I am so glad I did! We stayed in the Acadia house in room 8414 a river view, it was beautiful. Thanks to everyone for their feedback about my stay prior when I had questions. This is my new favorite resort. I could just walk and look around for hours if I had the time. We already are talking about when we can stay again!

Just got home yesterday from a two night stay and as we were walking to the car leaving the resort I literally had a pouty face!!! So sad to go! I switched our reservations for this stay about a month ago from CSR to POR and I am so glad I did! We stayed in the Acadia house in room 8414 a river view, it was beautiful. Thanks to everyone for their feedback about my stay prior when I had questions. This is my new favorite resort. I could just walk and look around for hours if I had the time. We already are talking about when we can stay again!

I know what you mean. I'm always so sad to leave. I kind of start getting sad before it's ever even over, because I know I have to go home soon.

I know what you mean. I'm always so sad to leave. I kind of start getting sad before it's ever even over, because I know I have to go home soon.

Yes my favorite time is the week before vacation- all the anticipation of the week ahead.

We fly down this Saturday- just staying one night at POR before moving to WBC. Very excited for our first stay at POR -albeit short.

A bit busy getting everything cleaned up at work but it is sooo worth that bit of inconvenience.

Happily this will be an annual vacation for us for the next four-six years so we can watch our kids play ball at ESPN and enjoy Orlando

Just joining in on the conversation. We are excited for our stay the week after Thanksgiving this year. Celebrating my daughter's 7th birthday and excited to see a lot of Christmas decorations and go to the MVMCP. We reserved a royal room because my daughter said our room was boring when we stayed at the Contemporary in October 2015 (our first trip with her). :laughing:

Just joining in on the conversation. We are excited for our stay the week after Thanksgiving this year. Celebrating my daughter's 7th birthday and excited to see a lot of Christmas decorations and go to the MVMCP. We reserved a royal room because my daughter said our room was boring when we stayed at the Contemporary in October 2015 (our first trip with her). :laughing:

You'll love this resort. We're going back this year, but are going to start the trip with 2 nights at the Contemporary this time, (a new one for us), but wanted to try it for the convenience (plus I want to try them all!). But the point is, even though I have loved a couple of the other resorts, this is the one that we always want to go back to. IMO beats the other mod's hands down.

You'll love this resort. We're going back this year, but are going to start the trip with 2 nights at the Contemporary this time, (a new one for us), but wanted to try it for the convenience (plus I want to try them all!). But the point is, even though I have loved a couple of the other resorts, this is the one that we always want to go back to. IMO beats the other mod's hands down.

Glad to hear! It was our original plan to stay here last time, but I got a 30% off deal with a travel agency and after doing lots of math I couldn't pass up the Contemporary. I remember going as a child and riding the monorail through there and dreaming to stay there as an adult. I made my own dreams come true! It really is SO convenient! We walked back and forth to MK many times and sometimes even carrying a sleepy or sleeping almost 5 year old at the time. It was easier to walk than to walk and wait for the monorail. I loved the room, but I can understand why my daughter thought it was boring. She is really excited about the royal room. I look froward to walking to FQ for beignets.

Easily my favorite stroll in the entire World, and also one of my favorite strolls in the entire world!
No doubt!:)

I LOVE to walk along the ole' Sassagoula while waving at the boats and listening to Blue Sky by The Allman Brothers Band-we're talking MAGICAL!:)

Walk along the river, sweet lullaby, it just keeps on flowing,
It don't worry 'bout where it's going, no, no.
Don't fly, mister blue bird, I'm just walking down the road,
Early morning sunshine tell me all I need to know

I spent a ton of time looking at room views on Touring Plans last night and configured my room request fax to be sent out automatically before our trip. Here's to hoping we'll get one of the rooms we'd like at Acadian House. Is it July yet?? :hyper:

Are the beignets served all day at FQ? We are staying POR in May but won't be around much in the mornings, but plan on taking a walk over for an afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter