Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

Just back from a wonderful stay at POFQ! I think it's become our family's favorite resort.

We have a garden view room and my only room request was for a corner room because they just seem to be a smidge bigger. ...

Andre will know - he's our Port Orleans expert, after all! - but I believe that at POFQ and POR, *all* rooms are the same size, and the handicapped accessible rooms have the same footprint, just a different arrangement of the bathroom space. The rooms that have a "flat" door (meaning that the doorway is not on an angle) gain some very small amount of square footage, (I believe it is something like 4 square feet? Andre?) but that is because they are for people like me who are wheelchair users, and it makes entering and exiting the room with a mobility device much easier.

I too love a corner room at POR and POFQ; I personally think they feel bigger because they tend to have more light coming in during the day! It's silly, but it makes me feel less claustrophobic as well. If I were planning a new Resort at WDW, every room would have corner windows like those; it just makes the rooms so much nicer!

Andre will know - he's our Port Orleans expert, after all! - but I believe that at POFQ and POR, *all* rooms are the same size

Correct, all POFQ rooms are exactly the same size. Corner rooms can feel a bit bigger though as the extra window lets in more light (as long as you have the curtains open anyway) so it's worth requesting one.

You are also correct that Accessible rooms do technically have a couple of square feet of extra space because a couple of refits ago they opted to 'push out' the angled recess for the entrance doorways to allow more space for the armoire and/or wheelchairs.

Andre

Staying at POFQ for the first time for my 40th birthday in May! This is my favorite resort based on theming (the beignets help too), but it will be my first time getting to stay there. We booked a king room and I would love a river view. Does anyone know which building or even which specific room I should try requesting?
Just to let you know, WDW just released a hotel discount today which covers the month of May. I was able to change my February trip at POR to dates in early May at POFQ with a 20% discount.

Last edited:
Just to let you know, WDW just released a hotel discount today which covers the month of May. I was able to change my February trip at POR to dates in early May at POFQ with a 20% discount.
That's so interesting. We didn't even see POFQ for our dates (May 3-11). Maybe we were too late!

Yep just changed my package to get the discount. I did have to move to a standard room from a king room.

That's so interesting. We didn't even see POFQ for our dates (May 3-11). Maybe we were too late!
Check again! All room categories, with the exception of pool view, are showing availability with the discount for those dates.

Check again! All room categories, with the exception of pool view, are showing availability with the discount for those dates.
OOoo! Taking a look right now.

Update 10:59 am: Nothing for POFQ on the AP discount offer. I'll keep looking, but we have GDT and are happy with that

Last edited:
OOoo! Taking a look right now.

Update 10:59 am: Nothing for POFQ on the AP discount offer. I'll keep looking, but we have GDT and are happy with that
Try the general discount offer, which is for anyone. Don't know how much the AP discount is, but the general discount offer is 20% at POFQ

Getting super excited. We check in on the 26th staying for 10 nights. REALLY hoping we get our one and only request of connecting rooms. Kinda worried about it though because we won't arrive at the resort until around 8pm-ish. Last trip we were only there 7 nights and had adjoining rooms. It was probably just as annoying to our neighbors that we were constantly going from room-to-room. Crossing fingers that the room assigner can work some connecting magic :wizard:

We are already salivating thinking of the shrimp and grits......:cloud9:

Getting super excited. We check in on the 26th staying for 10 nights. REALLY hoping we get our one and only request of connecting rooms. Kinda worried about it though because we won't arrive at the resort until around 8pm-ish. Last trip we were only there 7 nights and had adjoining rooms. It was probably just as annoying to our neighbors that we were constantly going from room-to-room. Crossing fingers that the room assigner can work some connecting magic :wizard:

We are already salivating thinking of the shrimp and grits......:cloud9:

At almost every hotel we have stayed *everywhere* in the last 10 years, connecting rooms are considered a “request” not a guarantee. So they know in advance that you really really really want it, but they can’t promise it.

It’s my understanding that all of the Disney Resort Hotels now have centralized, offsite room assignment CMs. That’s a whole ‘nother topic for a different day, but the end result is that rooms are being assigned differently now.

Ideally, you will get those texts from Disney that tell you your room number(s) before you even arrive, so you may be able to tell exactly where your rooms are. Our fearless leader, Andre, has excellent maps at his website, PortOrleans.org that can show you exactly where each room is in each building. This page is the one to bookmark.

And so, (me, personally) I would just stop by the front desk before you even go to your rooms, and ask - if your rooms don’t connect as originally assigned - is there a possibility that you could be reassigned rooms - either now, or maybe in a day or two?
We have found the CMs at both of the Port Orleans resort hotels to be so helpful and considerate, and they really do want all of their Guests to have the best possible experience.

Good luck, and Laissez les bons temps rouler!

At almost every hotel we have stayed *everywhere* in the last 10 years, connecting rooms are considered a “request” not a guarantee. So they know in advance that you really really really want it, but they can’t promise it.

It’s my understanding that all of the Disney Resort Hotels now have centralized, offsite room assignment CMs. That’s a whole ‘nother topic for a different day, but the end result is that rooms are being assigned differently now.

Ideally, you will get those texts from Disney that tell you your room number(s) before you even arrive, so you may be able to tell exactly where your rooms are. Our fearless leader, Andre, has excellent maps at his website, PortOrleans.org that can show you exactly where each room is in each building. This page is the one to bookmark.

And so, (me, personally) I would just stop by the front desk before you even go to your rooms, and ask - if your rooms don’t connect as originally assigned - is there a possibility that you could be reassigned rooms - either now, or maybe in a day or two?
We have found the CMs at both of the Port Orleans resort hotels to be so helpful and considerate, and they really do want all of their Guests to have the best possible experience.

Good luck, and Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Yes, basically all room requests are just that....a request. If we aren't in connecting rooms, it's definitely just a quick walk to the lobby to chat with the front desk to see if a room change is available. I love how compact the resort is and nothing is a far walk.

Love his website. I have been visiting it for years. :surfweb:

Crossing my fingers that we don't have any snowstorms next week that would interfere with our SW flights :littleangel:

Three weeks ago today we arrived at POFQ for my birthday trip .... and last night, my sister and I booked a trip to stay there at the end of February for *her* birthday! We looked at ASMu and Pop, which would have both been cheaper, but ultimately, we decided that for a girls' trip, POFQ was a quieter choice that fit our style better. So, I'm POFQ bound again!

Yes, basically all room requests are just that....a request. If we aren't in connecting rooms, it's definitely just a quick walk to the lobby to chat with the front desk to see if a room change is available. I love how compact the resort is and nothing is a far walk.

Love his website. I have been visiting it for years. :surfweb:

Crossing my fingers that we don't have any snowstorms next week that would interfere with our SW flights :littleangel:
I would put a much earlier arrival time on your reservation, that way they will try and have your rooms ready earlier. If you get the text with your room numbers before you arrive, call the resort to ask if they can tell you if they are connecting. If the rooms are not, ask them if they can move you to connects. They will have more inventory to try and move rooms around earlier in the day than at 8pm when you are scheduled to arrive. If you don't get the room numbers earlier, stop at the front desk before you go to the rooms to ask if they connect. Other than having fewer vacant rooms available at night because most people have arrived, the FD is reluctant to room change people later in the evening if they have gone into the rooms. Even if you have only entered and looked around, housekeeping has to go back in to those rooms and do a refresh (they default to pick up status in the housekeeping system). If they are short housekeepers and are finishing cleaning other rooms for later arrivals, you may be told there are no rooms to move into that evening because they don't have the staff to go back into your rooms to clean (though it could be true that there are no connects left). They will offer a room change for the next day, but that can be a hassle. If you are at the FD and not gone to the rooms, you may have a better chance. Hopefully it won't be an issue!

I would put a much earlier arrival time on your reservation, that way they will try and have your rooms ready earlier. If you get the text with your room numbers before you arrive, call the resort to ask if they can tell you if they are connecting. If the rooms are not, ask them if they can move you to connects. They will have more inventory to try and move rooms around earlier in the day than at 8pm when you are scheduled to arrive. If you don't get the room numbers earlier, stop at the front desk before you go to the rooms to ask if they connect. Other than having fewer vacant rooms available at night because most people have arrived, the FD is reluctant to room change people later in the evening if they have gone into the rooms. Even if you have only entered and looked around, housekeeping has to go back in to those rooms and do a refresh (they default to pick up status in the housekeeping system). If they are short housekeepers and are finishing cleaning other rooms for later arrivals, you may be told there are no rooms to move into that evening because they don't have the staff to go back into your rooms to clean (though it could be true that there are no connects left). They will offer a room change for the next day, but that can be a hassle. If you are at the FD and not gone to the rooms, you may have a better chance. Hopefully it won't be an issue!

Very interesting!! Thank you for the insight. I think I will change my arrival time and follow this scenario. Didn't think about the housekeeping issue if we go in person to look at the rooms. If I get the room numbers early, I can also look on portorleans.org to see if these rooms are connecting. How would I get in touch with the front desk before arrival?

Really good point on not going to look at the room first. When we didn't get our request at the Contemporary (which I could tell by the room number), I called and asked to switch. The first question was "Have you gone to the room yet?"...since my answer was no, we were able to change the room.

Very interesting!! Thank you for the insight. I think I will change my arrival time and follow this scenario. Didn't think about the housekeeping issue if we go in person to look at the rooms. If I get the room numbers early, I can also look on portorleans.org to see if these rooms are connecting. How would I get in touch with the front desk before arrival?
As long as you do online check-in, when you get your text/email with your room numbers there will be a phone number listed on the text/email to call if you need to change your room location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter