Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

We stayed in a standard room in building 4 back in December. It was super close to the bus stop and food court! The pool was not a long walk at all either, since its such a small resort. This was the best room location I have ever had at any resort. Loved getting off the bus, grabbing a snack at the food court, and heading right back to the room!

Thanks so much! Which floor were you on? And how far were you from POR? My kids love that pool. Thanks! :)

Thanks so much! Which floor were you on? And how far were you from POR? My kids love that pool. Thanks! :)
We were on the second floor. I'm not sure about the distance to POR as we were only there for a long weekend and didn't take the time to head over there.

Another question I have about POFQ. It will be my DD 6, DS 9 and myself. This will be our first trip without another adult with us. I will have my car and do a mix of car/buses. We will have a standard room. Would love suggestions for buildings to request. Seeing that there are elevators is a plus! We have stayed twice at POR in AB and the 2nd floor was tough, packing and unpacking on my own with 2 small children (my 60+ year old aunt was with me). I am thinking building 4, 5 and 6 would be good central locations to pool/food court/bus stop and close to walk to POR - my kids love the pool there. I am not worried about foot traffic or proximity to DS. Thanks so much for your input!

Based on the map on Andre's website , there are no standard view rooms in 6 or 5 (same with #2). To be on the POR side request 4 or 7. No matter what building you end up in , spend a minute or 2 reviewing the resort map to find the shortcuts rather than following the river path the whole way.

Do you know what the age and height restrictions will be for this? TIA!

I think probably 48" max height, but it's not been posted yet. The water depth in the middle of the play area is 11" incidentally.

What is the other picture posted? Looks like where the hot tub or playground is? What kind of construction is going on there?

If the mean the dug-up pathway, I believe they are removing stepped access on the path to the hot tub area for better wheelchair accessibility (they have done the same on Ol' Man Island at Riverside). The hot tub itself is still open, you just need to use the other paths to access it until they are done.

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160229-080647_small.jpg

Personally I think it's a shame that they got rid of the creepers on the brickwork a few years ago:

POFQ-Doubloon-2009-9852_small.jpg

Andre

Last edited:
Thanks for the great updates and photos of the new children's splash area, Andre!

I totally agree that the creeping vines just added another layer to the themeing of being in the Deep South.

The French Quarter splash play area will be opening on Monday morning. The ribbon-cutting ceremony will be at 9am if anyone wants to go along:

upload_2016-3-5_18-46-3.png

(And yes, I'm not sure how this is the first such featured area at a moderate either - it does appear to be very much along the same lines as the one at Caribbean Beach)

Andre

Last edited:
I'm new to the POFQ. First time visitors later this year.

The grand opening is tomorrow for the aquatic play area, from my understanding it's in the pool area/right next to it. I'm wondering if there will be an area I can sit and watch my 6 year old play in the Aquatic area and watch my 9 year old in the pool (both are excellent swimmers)? Or if a lifeguard will be in the play area, I'm not sure 11 inches deep requires one? My oldest won't be allowed into the play area due to height restrictions. And it's hard to tell in pictures.

Thanks!

The grand opening is tomorrow for the aquatic play area, from my understanding it's in the pool area/right next to it. I'm wondering if there will be an area I can sit and watch my 6 year old play in the Aquatic area and watch my 9 year old in the pool (both are excellent swimmers)? Or if a lifeguard will be in the play area, I'm not sure 11 inches deep requires one? My oldest won't be allowed into the play area due to height restrictions.

There are lifeguards beside the main pool, but not in the new Aquatic Play Area. Both pool areas are fenced off, and there are sunbeds near to main pool but it doesn't look like there is going to be any seating space in the water play section. You can sort of see both from one location, but you certainly couldn't oversee both kids at the same time.

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160306-103727_forum.jpg

It should just have opened this morning, so I wonder who will be the first to send their kids in to get soaked! :)

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160306-103142_forum.jpg

Edit: Actually, it does look like they've added some seating overnight:

upload_2016-3-7_14-59-55.png

Andre

Last edited:
There are lifeguards beside the main pool, but not in the new Aquatic Play Area. Both pool areas are fenced off, and there are sunbeds near to main pool but it doesn't look like there is going to be any seating space in the water play section. You can sort of see both from one location, but you certainly couldn't oversee both kids at the same time.

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160306-103727_forum.jpg

It should just have opened this morning, so I wonder who will be the first to send their kids in to get soaked! :)

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160306-103142_forum.jpg

Edit: Actually, it does look like they've added some seating overnight:

View attachment 155349

Andre

Thank you so much!

I just received my welcome packet for my June stay! I'm so excited. It is our second visit and first at a resort, so I'm hoping POFQ is as great as everyone says. Thank you everyone for the great info on this page. I will keep lurking.

Water area looks so fun! I am so sad for my 8 and 9 year old boys that there is a height and not age restriction. Oh well....guess we will stick to the slide at the main pool! Can't wait for March 31st!!

So now that the new Aquatic Play Area is open - whatever happened to my old friend the Saxophone Gator who used to spray water into the old kiddie pool? Did he get moved somewhere else, or is he just gone?

Potentially dumb question:

If you book a Room with a king bed, is the maximum occupancy 2 + 1 under 3 years or can you have a 3rd over 3 years in that room? I'm thinking either with an extra bed or if it's parents and a preschooler who bed shares.

Anyone?

Potentially dumb question:

If you book a Room with a king bed, is the maximum occupancy 2 + 1 under 3 years or can you have a 3rd over 3 years in that room? I'm thinking either with an extra bed or if it's parents and a preschooler who bed shares.

Anyone?

Year before last there was 3 of us over 3 (me, DW, and DS5) and DS2+ with no issues?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter