Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

I believe that they have discontinued having free push wheelchairs at the resorts. Too bad, too, as more than once for us, they have been a "tripsaver!"

Have you thought about bringing her rollator on the trip? My mom brought hers for our trip last week and it worked wonderfully. In fact, she bought it specifically FOR our trip and doesn't use it regularly at home. But she knew we'd be doing much more walking than normal and she's got some knee problems and balance issues. Three hours into day 1 and she was already raving about how she never could have done the trip without it. (We considered a wheelchair, but she refused to have me push her around.) I had to slow my personal walking pace a bit, but other than that, it worked great for us! Something to think about...
We have talked about that a little bit. We hesitate because we have to take a cab to/from the airport, and we're wondering whether folding it, unfolding it for the buses and other places would make it difficult. Maybe if I cast my mind back to the days when I had a stroller, and thought of it that way, it wouldn't seem like a struggle.

Were there any drawbacks at all to the rollator?

We have talked about that a little bit. We hesitate because we have to take a cab to/from the airport, and we're wondering whether folding it, unfolding it for the buses and other places would make it difficult. Maybe if I cast my mind back to the days when I had a stroller, and thought of it that way, it wouldn't seem like a struggle.

Why do you have to take a cab instead of using DME? Looking at pictures of them online, it doesn't look like a rollator should be any more difficult to fold up than a stroller, and unlike a wheelchair or an ECV doesn't need to be tied down, which would make it quicker to get on and off the bus.

I sent you a private message to kind of outline our experience. Bottom line - mom said without her rollator, she wouldn't have made it past the first (half) day and would have spent the majority of the trip in the resort room. One of the reasons we chose POFQ was the compact size and shorter bus lines, and it worked out beautifully for us!

I guess if it were my decision, I would plan to bring it, and then if it turns out she doesn't need it everyday, just leave it in the resort room...can always come back for it if there is a need. And from the photos, it just doesn't look like that big of a deal to fold it up for the buses. When I was there in October, I saw several folks with these...

My philosophy is "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..."

Just my two cents... :)

Will the Scat Club have any special events on New Years Eve? That will be our arrival day and not all of our party wants to do a park on on that busy night.

Quick question. .. one of my favorite things about this resort is that it's a single bus stop and we've never shared a bus with POR except for blizzard beach/DTD. We've only ever gone end of Apri/beginning of May, and it is my understanding that during certain times of the year both resorts share buses. Has anyone gone mid to late August, and when you were there at that time of year did you share buses with POR to the parks? Thank you :)

Quick question. .. one of my favorite things about this resort is that it's a single bus stop and we've never shared a bus with POR except for blizzard beach/DTD. We've only ever gone end of Apri/beginning of May, and it is my understanding that during certain times of the year both resorts share buses. Has anyone gone mid to late August, and when you were there at that time of year did you share buses with POR to the parks? Thank you :)

Bus sharing is based more on time of day and destination park rather than time of year - see www.portorleans.org/buses.php

Andre

Ok weird POFQ question. Normally we stay at the Poly, but are thinking POFQ for spring break to be cheap. However, DD is in a wheelchair, and our trip last week to the Boardwalk was frustrating because it seemed like every time we went to the MK on the bus or back to the hotel, we had to wait a long time because we were shut out due to lots of people on ECVs/in chairs. I had never experienced that with any regularity before, and I have stayed at almost every Disney hotel. Truly there were multiple times last week that we had to wait through more than two bus cycles to get a spot. It was extremely frustrating because they were not quick to send a new bus because the only people waiting for it were people in the wheelchair line-- all the other people were able to make it onto a single bus! I'm concerned because POFQ seems to be a "disability friendly" hotel due to it's small footprint, so I guess my question is specifically when it comes to wheelchairs/ECV's, how is the bus service?

On my to WDW right now and just got my room number. If I don't like my room assignment, do I go to the front desk and see if they can change it?

Ok weird POFQ question. Normally we stay at the Poly, but are thinking POFQ for spring break to be cheap. However, DD is in a wheelchair, and our trip last week to the Boardwalk was frustrating because it seemed like every time we went to the MK on the bus or back to the hotel, we had to wait a long time because we were shut out due to lots of people on ECVs/in chairs. I had never experienced that with any regularity before, and I have stayed at almost every Disney hotel. Truly there were multiple times last week that we had to wait through more than two bus cycles to get a spot. It was extremely frustrating because they were not quick to send a new bus because the only people waiting for it were people in the wheelchair line-- all the other people were able to make it onto a single bus! I'm concerned because POFQ seems to be a "disability friendly" hotel due to it's small footprint, so I guess my question is specifically when it comes to wheelchairs/ECV's, how is the bus service?

I've only stayed here twice - once in 2010 and once just a couple of weeks ago - so I'm by no means an expert. However, we never saw a wheelchair/ECV guest left behind because of lack of space on the bus. I don't know if that's the 'norm' for this resort or not, but that's my off-hand observation.

We brought my adult daughter in her wheelchair for the first time to POFQ last May. We never were left behind for the entire week. The bus drivers were amazing with her and always made her feel good about herself instead of huffing and sighing for the extra work (like at the Poly)

While we're usually Poly people also, we fell in love with the light, airy feel of POFQ and the quaint small size. I don't think we'll ever go back to the Polynesian. Also we had several issues, back in 2013 getting DD on the first or second bus at the Poly. The wait was so horrendous, we usually just grabbed a cab to the parks.

I don't have any personal experience with the wheelchair/ECV issue, but I never saw anyone left behind going from resort to parks. I did see a lot of people left behind going from parks back to resort, but that may have been more to do with the time of day. For example, going back from MK after the parade and fireworks were finished, there were at least 10-12 guests in wheelchairs/ECV in line. I think that might have been out of the norm, though, because the regular line also got crazy backed up. We had to wait over 20 minutes for a bus to arrive, which is just nuts at a time like that when the whole park is emptying out. We must have seen at least 2-3 buses for just about every other resort go by.

Thanks for your thoughts and the information on PortOrleans.org. I've booked a Port Orleans French Quarter room for the trip with my Mom in May, 2016. She and I are really looking forward to staying there.

havent been back to French Quarter for a number of years..we have tried other resorts....so question ..the food court items listed is not listing any type of bounty platter like the other resorts do ...like eggs, bacon or sausage, home fries, and a waffle and biscuit...I ususally dont get the waffle or biscuit..but this platter is not listed..if some one is there or just returned ..can they fill us in on that..and also ice cream...no ice cream at most of the other resorts..but it is still listed here...( not a gelato fan)..thanks for any info

I haven't been there, but this pic was posted on the Disboards as a breakfast bowl. Not sure if this works for you, but this was their caption:

"The "Create Your Own" Breakfast Bowl. I got mine with potatoes, scrambled eggs, ham, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, and double cheese. It was delicious!"

20150425_084119-1.jpg

I haven't been there, but this pic was posted on the Disboards as a breakfast bowl. Not sure if this works for you, but this was their caption:

"The "Create Your Own" Breakfast Bowl. I got mine with potatoes, scrambled eggs, ham, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, and double cheese. It was delicious!"

20150425_084119-1.jpg

Could that feed two people? That looks like a lot for a single person to eat, but very good.

I had that one day... it was good, and pretty big. There's a layer of potatoes, 2 scoops of scrambled eggs, then whatever toppings you want of an omelette-type variety. Ham, peppers, onions, mushrooms, cheese, sausage, bacon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter