(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally understand, I don't have celiac either but a few years ago I was diagnosed with an anaphylactic reaction to gluten/wheat, it really came out of left field for me because I thought my reactions were from other anaphylactic allergies (food dyes) and it took awhile to pinpoint gluten as the issue but once we did I haven't had any gluten or wheat since. It can be a big adjustment to have to make quickly I know. I'm like you though I constantly look at menus when I'm traveling planning, the rest of my group doesn't have allergies, but I look at menus to make sure everyone has at least a couple of options I know they would eat! Most places we've tried, we love and everyone can get something they've enjoyed. If you are new to GF and you miss battered and fried food you have to try Raglan Road they will make pretty much any of their hand battered dishes in a GF batter and dedicated fryer for you. This year will be my fifth time to Disney since my allergy diagnosis and I've been fine, I'm sure you guys will find plenty of variety for food and snacks!

It looks like we will be at the Grand Floridian just a couple days after you in August 2017!

Wow! Quite a discovery on the gluten allergy after all those years of thinking it was food dyes. For me, I have been plagued with getting very ill sporadically over the past 8-10 years or so and it only happens at night until this past spring when it became very frequent. After exhaustive testing/imaging/xrays, I was finally diagnosed. Unfortunately it has also contributed to a histamine intolerance but I am managing that with a watchful eye on eating lower histamine foods and taking an enzyme supplement when eating higher histamine foods.

I do have Raglan Road on my list! I am excited to try their fish and chips as well as the onion rings. I am also planning to get the gluten free fried chicken at 50sPT Cafe although I hear I need to advise the restaurant ahead of time so they can heat up the special fryer. Fried chicken is what I miss the most....along with sub sandwiches:P

Also planning on GF Cafe, The Wave, Kona, Frontera Cocina(sp?), and Bongos Cuban Cafe. They seem to have so many great options now at Disney Springs. We don't eat TS every day as we prefer the spontaneity of eating when/where we want without feeling so scheduled. I am going to take the advice I have read on the Restaurant boards and make my dining ressies for DS eateries thru OpenTable for cancellation ease and for last minute ressies that aren't in the Disney Dining system.

Sorry we will miss you all. We are at the GF Aug 16 - 26.:wave2:

10 days until my first stay!!! :)

Very exciting!! Have you started packing? You will love it. All the extra touches at the GF are addictive. My DH and DDs were so excited to come back to the room each night and find the turndown service with the chocolates on the pillows, the sheets turned down, the soft lighting and TV turned on low. I appreciated the extra tidiness and the refilled toiletries.;) The beautiful fresh flowers throughout the resort and the live music in the main building are just so intoxicating:love:

Reactions: TJA
Wow! Quite a discovery on the gluten allergy after all those years of thinking it was food dyes. For me, I have been plagued with getting very ill sporadically over the past 8-10 years or so and it only happens at night until this past spring when it became very frequent. After exhaustive testing/imaging/xrays, I was finally diagnosed. Unfortunately it has also contributed to a histamine intolerance but I am managing that with a watchful eye on eating lower histamine foods and taking an enzyme supplement when eating higher histamine foods.

I do have Raglan Road on my list! I am excited to try their fish and chips as well as the onion rings. I am also planning to get the gluten free fried chicken at 50sPT Cafe although I hear I need to advise the restaurant ahead of time so they can heat up the special fryer. Fried chicken is what I miss the most....along with sub sandwiches:P

Also planning on GF Cafe, The Wave, Kona, Frontera Cocina(sp?), and Bongos Cuban Cafe. They seem to have so many great options now at Disney Springs. We don't eat TS every day as we prefer the spontaneity of eating when/where we want without feeling so scheduled. I am going to take the advice I have read on the Restaurant boards and make my dining ressies for DS eateries thru OpenTable for cancellation ease and for last minute ressies that aren't in the Disney Dining system.

Sorry we will miss you all. We are at the GF Aug 16 - 26.:wave2:

Wow sorry it took you so long and so many tests to get a diagnosis, that sucks. Having food allergies is hard! I find wheat and dyes in just about everything so I'm constantly checking labels and get so excited when I find new items that work for me.

I haven't tried the chicken at 50s prime time cafe but I'm born and raised in the south so once I became gluten free my family tested out a bunch of different ways to make fried chicken gluten free at home and we have it down pat to the way I like it and my other family members eat the GF fried foods and like them just as much as regular fried items. I've heard good things about prime time you'll have to let us all know how you like it!

We are arriving August 28th, but I really want to add a couple extra days to the beginning of our trip I just don't want to have to go through all the trouble or cancelling and rebooking with the extra time..

Have fun on your upcoming trip, the Polynesian is great too I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I just wanted to say I love your dress in your profile picture so pretty!

Happy Anniversary!!! So excited for you guys!! My DH and I had our honeymoon there too 25 years ago. We go every year but this year will be only the second time for my anniversary. I informed my DH I am thinking this is something we should do every year:woohoo:. The Poly is great too, nice and close.

I agree with BabyFu18, your dress is gorgeous. Have fun planning and packing it will be here before you know it:cheer2:!!

Aww thank you both so much for your kind wishes and comments about my dress, I loved wearing it so much :lovestruc Have fun on your upcoming trips too!

Wow sorry it took you so long and so many tests to get a diagnosis, that sucks. Having food allergies is hard! I find wheat and dyes in just about everything so I'm constantly checking labels and get so excited when I find new items that work for me.

I haven't tried the chicken at 50s prime time cafe but I'm born and raised in the south so once I became gluten free my family tested out a bunch of different ways to make fried chicken gluten free at home and we have it down pat to the way I like it and my other family members eat the GF fried foods and like them just as much as regular fried items. I've heard good things about prime time you'll have to let us all know how you like it!

We are arriving August 28th, but I really want to add a couple extra days to the beginning of our trip I just don't want to have to go through all the trouble or cancelling and rebooking with the extra time..

I too am a southern girl....from SC. I met my hubby in college and moved north :teleport: So, yes, I love my fried chicken,,,hahaha. Would love to hear your recipe for gluten free fried chicken. I am planning to start experimenting with that closer to summer!

It is always a temptation to add more days. I keep dreaming about adding a few more to the beginning of my trip...sigh.

Back in my gluten eating days, I had the allergy safe fried chicken at PT50s and it was awesome BUT it was allergy safe for DD (peanuts/tree nuts/eggs/bananas) so I am unsure if that one was gluten free or not since that wasn't a concern.
Has anyone been to Gaspie's since the refurb and seen the allergy menu? Curious as to what is being offered now.

Just wanted to share some videos of our room 7225.

Don't mind the commentary, kids and me talking to specific people - it was a live Facebook video, so I was responding to my friends posting comments lol. But I thought it was a good video to share here to give people an idea what the suites are like in Conch Key.

Hi @Regan117 We are staying in a 2-bedroom suite at The Grand Floridan next month, and are debating between a suite in Conch Key or Sugar Loaf. Which do you recommend? Are these videos still available? I'd LOVE to see them.

Thanks!
mk

A couple weeks ago I posted a picture of my cup of coffee and my balcony and the monorail going by. I finally found my checkin paperwork, and we were in room 1229 in the Villas. :) For anyone who remembered the picture (not a great picture, but a good calm morning moment) and wondered if I was ever going to followup. :)

I haven't tried the chicken at 50s prime time cafe but I'm born and raised in the south so once I became gluten free my family tested out a bunch of different ways to make fried chicken gluten free at home and we have it down pat to the way I like it and my other family members eat the GF fried foods and like them just as much as regular fried items.

Makes me cry that your family was so supportive. So often families aren't!

Although it's not an allergy, some of our family are very flippant about DS's (and, it turns out, DH's) extreme reactions to anything based on corn syrup. My brother, when DS was still reacting with *violence* to it, suggested just feeding him corn syrup until he loses his sensitivity to it. I said "sure, but he'll be staying with you while you do that and I won't be here." He stopped suggesting that method immediately.

And now that we've realized it's a blood sugar issue, and we've tracked what happens with DH's blood sugar especially and DS's sometimes, when they get corn syruped, and when we've see what happens when MIL is in the hospital and is fed a sandwich with bread made with HFCS (despite her being on insulin when in the hospital), we are NOT messing with it. Their family has to be careful and constantly vigilant. Might not be an allergy but it's life-threatening over time all the same.

Makes me cry that your family was so supportive. So often families aren't!

Although it's not an allergy, some of our family are very flippant about DS's (and, it turns out, DH's) extreme reactions to anything based on corn syrup. My brother, when DS was still reacting with *violence* to it, suggested just feeding him corn syrup until he loses his sensitivity to it. I said "sure, but he'll be staying with you while you do that and I won't be here." He stopped suggesting that method immediately.

And now that we've realized it's a blood sugar issue, and we've tracked what happens with DH's blood sugar especially and DS's sometimes, when they get corn syruped, and when we've see what happens when MIL is in the hospital and is fed a sandwich with bread made with HFCS (despite her being on insulin when in the hospital), we are NOT messing with it. Their family has to be careful and constantly vigilant. Might not be an allergy but it's life-threatening over time all the same.

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear some of your family isn't supportive and sensitive to your DH and DS medical issues, that's just crazy to me. Whether it's an allergy or a medical condition or just a choice to avoid certain things I think families should always support each other and try to enrich each other's lives not put them down or act as if their issues aren't relevant.

My family has been great with my allergy, my mother embraced GF the most and she tried to change all of her recipes to accommodate me and she and I together are constantly trying new recipes and coming up with ways that everyone in our family can eat the same things. At holidays we make sure what's on the table is safe for everyone eating and things that aren't safe for whatever reason we always have an alternative even if we have to make one dish two ways! My family is really great about it, they always go out of their way to make sure I'm not left out food wise so I'm really lucky. I do love to experiment in the kitchen with cooking so I think that helps, I make lots of stuff that's GF and my family is always willing to try it, even if they don't love everything, we make sure there are things in the house that everyone can eat!

I hope your family members can learn to embrace everyone's food challenges and see that it's really not so hard to accommodate each other in order to make sure everyone is safe and healthy. Good luck!

Last edited:
bumbershoot - So sad to hear about your family's disregard of the medical issue with HFCS. It just creates frustration and tension when you would expect compassion and accommodation given that it IS your family. Sigh....:grouphug:

How has your experience been at WDW with HFCS? It must be challenging given it is in SO MANY processed foods and drinks. Were you at GFV after Gaspie's refurb? Did you try any of the new food offerings?

I know this isn't a laughing matter, but this made me laugh out loud.

:) I figure it's like people saying they were glutened.

So off topic! :). You've been warned lol. Wow I wrote a novel. Sorry!

How has your experience been at WDW with HFCS? It must be challenging given it is in SO MANY processed foods and drinks.

It was actually Disneyland that helped us narrow down what they do and don't have problems with. Back before DS turned 3 I noticed something was off. He would fly into the worst rages. One day he was suddenly angry with me and walked up to me as I sat on the ground. I thought he was going to hug me but he bit me hard on the skin over my shoulder blade. The pain was indescribable. I was starting to worry about him. He turned three and we went to a local festival and had the most perfect day. Then he had a dumdum lollipop. And 20+ minutes later he was raging and violent. It was awful. As I stood there trying to just hold him, as he kicked my legs and headbutted me and tried to squeeze my face sooo hard...I put two and two together. Then he passed out on my shoulder and I carried him home in the July heat. He slept for 4-5 hours and I researched and cried the whole time.

Over that year we went to Disneyland three+ times. Dole whips back then had corn syrup solids, which we determined quickly was poison to him. (The product does NOT have that ingredient anymore I am happy to say!) Uncrustables are unspeakable bc they are corn syrup, color (from what I recall), and hfcs. Ketchup is almost always a no (but there was a packet at OKW quick service this December without corn syrup!). Figuring it all out helped us understand some really negative times in the past, like why all zoo trips ended in misery, after we had a snack of French fries with ketchup. It was good to figure it out.

Soda obviously is not something we drink unless its non-mainstream. Sierra Mist broke our hearts by becoming a new product with hfcs.

Overall we just try our best and are glad he's grown out of the violent phase. He knows how he feels when he accidentally eats it so he tries to not eat it. Keeps a lot of junk food out of his diet, which is nice. its the main reason we almost always have a car at Disney, so we can go to the store and get safe ice cream etc etc. Edie's doesn't have great ingredients and that's what's in the parks.

Realized it affects dh one day when he was awake and driving, then we got a small coke to share, and a few minutes later he had fallen asleep at the wheel on the highway. I started watching carefully after that. A couple years later when it turned out he was still drinking soda at work, he was diagnosed with type 2 and he finally stopped drinking coke etc. He can have homemade cake with proper sugar and his blood sugar is fine. Get anything based on corn syrup and it's sky high. Alcohol is a problem for his blood sugar as well, so dh doesn't drink anymore, and we are not quiet about this with ds. I think it's going to be best with the family history (grandma can't handle alcohol and is diabetic, both grandpas were alcoholic, and my mom, like me, had to watch over consumption very carefully) if he just stays away from it.

ON topic!!!!!

You asked about GF counter service. We did have breakfast at gasparilla and it was very tasty. Had omelets or something like that and they were perfection.

We really loved our short stay at GF villas, and your kind questions and comments here are reflecting positivity on GF as well! :) The place is just wrapped in goodness.

Hello fellow GF fans! Trying to catch up....not easy to do....lol...:blush: ..sounds like lots of food talk!! :thumbsup2 Its really always about the food isn't it???

Can I carry the luggage- homesick for the resort and the sun!

Me too...::yes::

Morning all!! Nice to see everyone, way too quiet around here!!:wave:

Forgot to quote, but I read lots about the GF Cafe & Kona. We usually visit both every trip with it being so quick and easy to get to but never for breakfast. My kids are older and sleep in, my DH and I usually save all our vacation eating for lunch, dinner and snacks :rotfl2:. With that being said, we have always had a great meal at both restaurants. GF Cafe is a little on the boring side, but for the first night after a day of traveling and trying to get a park in and unpacking its a welcome location and a warm meal when your just to tired to move. The kids love the steak and lobster burger. My DH and love the wine and beer choices and the staff is ALWAYS so friendly too. As for Kona, The kids love the sushi, the wings, noodles etc etc. Hope this helps.

As for visiting AK, we never really go over there, but Pandora opening is definitely making me look over our plans.:confused3

We like both Kona and GF Cafe too....GFC can have slow service at times tho...so we try to dine there when the plans are light for the day..Kona is just yummy..any meal..any time...and such a nice walk over from the GF over to the Poly...:cloud9:..I would recommend either...antoher hidden gem IMO for breakfats is The Wave....all I'm gonna say is key lime eggs benedict....:thumbsup2

Ugh. I can't stay in a musty place. I would have had to go right back to the front desk.

Good to know there's another kid out there that doesn't like icky bathrooms. The one time we stayed at my dad's my kid (3 at the time) had to be carried into the bathroom and nearly held over or on the toilet to do his business because he didn't want to touch anything in there. Neither did I, actually!

Should this happen in the future go to the front desk. Hitting "front desk" on the phone gets you to an offsite call center and they have limited options.

Thanks for pointing that out bumbershoot.. not sure if people are aware of this...which is absolutely the strangest thing!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused3 Makes no sense to me at all...

We hopped on the monorail and had a delicious dinner at the Wave during our December trip. :)

I just posted about that too...what a nice meal...nice atmosphere too...relaxing after a day in the parks...but when you have to go back up to the 4th floor concourse to get back to the monorail...chaos...:eek: I sure wish that there was water transportation directly from the GF to the CR..:boat:

Thank you so much for the info! I was just diagnosed with NCGS this summer so this will be my first trip to WDW since going gluten free. My DD15 has lots of allergies (peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, bananas) so I am familiar with how great dining at Disney is with allergies but we have never tried GF Cafe. It has made planning for this trip....more challenging. With me gluten free(and I have an egg yolk intolerance), DD15's allergies, and my DD18 is a picky eater in general.......let's just say I am obsessed with looking over menus!:rotfl:

:thumbsup2 me too.....:blush:..and for no particular reason....lol....

Afternoon fellow GF lovers! We're heading back to WDW from the UK next Saturday to celebrate our first wedding anniversary - can't believe on this day last year we were checking into the GF for our Disney Wedding / honeymoon and we were pixie dusted upon check in to a TPV room! It really was a dream come true :lovestruc

Well for this trip we decided to change it up and stay at the Poly as we've always wanted to stay there too, but we will definitely be spending a lot of time at the GF still seeing as we will still be so close - we have ADRs at GFC for breakfast (just like our first 'married' breakfast last year) and we're also doing the Afternoon Tea at the Garden View Lounge which will be a first for my husband, so I hope he likes it as much as I did last year! I'm also hoping to stock up on some bits from Basin White too - just love everything about the GF! Just wanted to share my excitement even though we're not staying there this time, I will still enjoy being back at the GF! :yay:

:woohoo:You are in the right place to share your excitement alright!!! Happy Anniversary...Enjoying the GF and the Poly too...:lovestruc How wonderful!

10 days until my first stay!!! :)

Get packing!!

I have my suitcase out. I need to start filling it.
:thumbsup2 Do you happen to know our resident slow packer KonaKaiTom...lol...JK..he truly packs on departure day....and posts about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool2::laughing:...lol...

Speaking of....Tom Hope that you had a a grand trip!! :goodvibes We are very possibly going to take a spring trip...and seems like we may be overlapping with some August trippers too! :dance3:It sure is hot at that time of year...but..pool time is terrific...and the GF has two lovely pools to enjoy!

~So ROL is finally a reality...would love feed back from anyone who does this before we do.... :goodvibes..Thinking a Tiffins dinner package would be nice...def don't want to use a FPP...and we are not particularly AK folks..:blush:... so I would make that an evening adventure for sure....

Just a quick shout out...Wishes..So glad that we got to catch up! And that you are going to enjoy another GF stay this year!:goodvibes grannyminnie :hug: its been ages...glad you have a trip coming up too!!! Trish many thanks for always sharing your wonderful pictures! the tea pics made me wish I was at the GF right now...:goodvibes

Hope that everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday!! :earsgirl: GF gal who need a new ticker or two...

I have been a GF thread "lurker" for a few months. I have enjoyed all the pictures and comments, and they have made me very excited. Our last two trips we stayed at the Polynesian (2009) and Boardwalk (2014). My parents wanted to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary at Disney with the grandkids and we booked GF from 4/16-4/21. I am super excited! The enthusiasm of all the GF lovers is so fun to read about. So really I just wanted to say thanks for all the info, happiness, pictures!

bumbershoot - Your DS is so lucky to have such an intuitive mom! There are many children who aren't so lucky and will be plagued with endless cycles of emotional issues because of similar undiagnosed issues. It is interesting that you have also seen a correlation with alcohol and it makes perfect sense. As a mom I know how validated you feel when your gut is telling you something is wrong and you finally get an answer! My DD15 has had (has) many issues over the years with being in the autism spectrum, having food allergies, medical issues, etc. and it brings a sense of calm to have answers even though you pray that there isn't an issue to begin with. KWIM?

back to regularly scheduled programming..............:p

Blueskies.....YES, it is always about the food isn't it :rotfl2: I too love The Wave. We just discovered this gem on our last meal of our last trip. We felt so dismayed that we hadn't tried it before! It was the best meal of our entire trip. I am drooling just thinking about my dish of perfectly cooked fish over a bed of fresh vegetable succotash in a light savory broth....:faint: DD had her first ever reuben sandwich made allergy safe by an amazingly friendly chef and has been begging for them ever since. Since looking over the menus, I am intent on trying their gluten free sweet potato pancakes. It is intriguing because of my love for those delectable orange tubers.

ROL and Pandora has thrown a wrench in my original itinerary but I think I have everything reworked. I can't bring myself to spend the cash on a ROL dining package after looking over the menus and knowing how my crew eats. I am opting to go to AK on a night when I do not need fastpasses for the morning so that I can schedule a FP for ROL and what I assume will be a FP for each of the new Pandora rides?? Luckily I have lots of time before my FP window opens. I feel compassion for those who are having to make a quick change to accommodate ROL AND Pandora at the beginning of summer without any concrete information to form a decision.

I have been a GF thread "lurker" for a few months. I have enjoyed all the pictures and comments, and they have made me very excited. Our last two trips we stayed at the Polynesian (2009) and Boardwalk (2014). My parents wanted to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary at Disney with the grandkids and we booked GF from 4/16-4/21. I am super excited! The enthusiasm of all the GF lovers is so fun to read about. So really I just wanted to say thanks for all the info, happiness, pictures!

What a great way to celebrate a 50th wedding anniversary:cheer2::cheer2: If your parents enjoy listening to live piano and jazz/big band music, staying at the GF will be the icing on the cake (pun intended) to add to the family celebration! The many beautiful scenic backdrops around the resort will make for great family pictures. Are you hiring a photographer for a family picture session? I have never done so but I know many DISSERs have and their posted pics were very professional and creative :goodvibes

Our big 180 days is coming this Friday!
We're at 182 today and I'm still changing my mind on ADR's :rolleyes:
Can't wait for the 180 though, time usually flies after this! GF here we come!!

IKR!!!! Even though I don't have many ressies to make, I still love the process and euphoria of each little item ticked off on my itinerary. Confused though.....the dining calculator says we can make ressies on 2/18. Is it really 2/17??

I have done so much rearranging and striking out and circles and arrows on my planning sheets....:faint: Today I need to make a FRESH new sheet before I start adding confirmation numbers. I don't put everything on the computer into a word doc until all the fastpasses are chosen. Plus--I am old school and love the organization of seeing everything written on paper. My DD18 thinks I am nuts but hey--it works for me and I do ALL the planning :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter