Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

A few pictures, notes, and comments from my walk around GF today. We are staying this weekend in a DVC Resort Studio (lagoon view). Please note that my experience and opinions may differ from others. These are just my thoughts.

So, that recent video posted by *vlogger who will not be named* grossly misinterprets the current state of construction at the Grand Floridian. It's not nearly as bad as he made it out to be. I have seen much worse over the years.

There are many rooms on property right now that are totally unaffected. As a reference point, I am extremely sensitive to noise.

Blue = I would have no issue staying there.
Yellow = Questionable, depending on how noisy the construction is that day.
Red = I would ask to be moved to a different room.

Sago Cay and Sugarloaf are currently closed, with no foot traffic allowed in or out.

You may be asking why part of the DVC Villas building is marked in yellow. Well, surprisingly, I was able to hear quite a lot of construction noise due to the new Poly DVC tower. I can't confirm if it was loud enough to hear in a room with the door closed... however I definitely heard drilling, construction vehicles, and yelling from the covered dropoff area.

View attachment 746817

The biggest disruption for me was the chaos with the Club Cars (golf carts). They are everywhere. And they are travelling full speed... on the lawn, walkways, everywhere. BVCC is using them to haul construction equipment, Mousekeeping is using them as they always do, and then you have the everyday Cast Members just using them to drive around. It was uncomfortable to walk around mid-day, and I'm a fast walker in my early 30s. You can *feel* them driving slowly behind you waiting to pass.

On a brighter note... the main Beach Pool is far enough away from all construction where you are not affected by it. And the main building has nothing going on right now construction wise, besides the Easter snacks. If you're OK tolerating some noise, the Courtyard Pool is fine, too (it was packed today... Spring Break). But, personally, I would stick to the Beach Pool.

Oh, and the boats are running!

So, would I spend money to stay here with the current state? Absolutely, assuming I can get a room in one of the areas highlighted in blue on my map. I think the vloggers are making it out to be much worse than it actually is.

View attachment 746819

View attachment 746823

View attachment 746824

View attachment 746825

View attachment 746821

View attachment 746820

View attachment 746822
This is fantastic, thank you so much! How was your view from your room? Specifically wondering about the Poly construction from there.

We'll be staying in the main DVC building later this year and I know I may end up with a Poly construction view, but I'm expecting the noise will be contained with the door closed. It's going up so fast that maybe they'll be starting some of the indoor work while I'm there.

This is fantastic, thank you so much! How was your view from your room? Specifically wondering about the Poly construction from there.

We'll be staying in the main DVC building later this year and I know I may end up with a Poly construction view, but I'm expecting the noise will be contained with the door closed. It's going up so fast that maybe they'll be starting some of the indoor work while I'm there.

They’re moving very fast now that the construction is vertical. You might be OK by then, honestly.

We check in on Saturday and leave Monday, my post was just in regards to my walk today (I live nearby).

I spent time at the main pool yesterday and it was extremely noisy from what sounded like steel saw cutting
...personally, I can't STAND dentist office drills myself....especially if the dentist is working on ME!

Hey everyone! Quick question for the group. Will a theme park view room always have a view in which you’re able to see the fireworks at night? Or are there some that might not? Thank you!

Question for anyone who knows. I was lucky enough to get Destination D23 tickets, and a discounted hotel room for the event (plus a few extra days). The booking was not through the standard Disney site for the room, but it appeared in MDE and I can edit my stay there. I picked a Lagoon View room, however the booking shows "water view" in MDE. Does anyone know what the difference is there? Also, do all Lagoon View rooms have two queens? Have any of them been updated yet, or are the only rooms that are updated the building that was converted to DVC? Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone! Quick question for the group. Will a theme park view room always have a view in which you’re able to see the fireworks at night? Or are there some that might not? Thank you!
I am by far not the best person to answer any of these questions but I'll try my best until someone better comes along...lol.

I pretty sure you can see some level of fireworks in all theme park view rooms. Keep in mind it could be very very little to a reflection. MK is wide spread, for instance from your room you can see Space Mountain which isn't near were the fireworks are. But like I said I am not exactly positive, just something to think about. Good luck.

Question for anyone who knows. I was lucky enough to get Destination D23 tickets, and a discounted hotel room for the event (plus a few extra days). The booking was not through the standard Disney site for the room, but it appeared in MDE and I can edit my stay there. I picked a Lagoon View room, however the booking shows "water view" in MDE. Does anyone know what the difference is there? Also, do all Lagoon View rooms have two queens? Have any of them been updated yet, or are the only rooms that are updated the building that was converted to DVC? Thanks in advance!
Hi, all room at the GF have either two Queen or a King and honestly a king room is hard to get in my experience. All of the rooms have been updated except the ones their working on and the main building. But I would call and place requests on the reservation over the phone just to make sure. Again, I hope someone better come along....Good luck.

Hi all, just to clarify, if I rented dvc points for a studio, will it be a renovated room regardless of view? Is there any chance at all of getting the older, less...spruced up rooms?

Hi all, just to clarify, if I rented dvc points for a studio, will it be a renovated room regardless of view? Is there any chance at all of getting the older, less...spruced up rooms?
All the DVC rooms have been updated. If you get a Resort Studio, you’ll be in the new Big Pine Key building (converted resort rooms with no kitchenette), and a Deluxe Studio will be in the original DVC building. Enjoy!

Question for anyone who knows. I was lucky enough to get Destination D23 tickets,
Me too!
and a discounted hotel room for the event (plus a few extra days). The booking was not through the standard Disney site for the room, but it appeared in MDE and I can edit my stay there. I picked a Lagoon View room, however the booking shows "water view" in MDE.
Water view and lagoon are the same. Disney has been tweaking their room category descriptions lately.
Does anyone know what the difference is there? Also, do all Lagoon View rooms have two queens? Have any of them been updated yet, or are the only rooms that are updated the building that was converted to DVC? Thanks in advance!
By September the outer buildings will be complete . I cant rememeber when the main building will be worked on but we won’t be assigned rooms there anyways so basically you will get a new room.

Also the great majority of the rooms are the 2Q with twin room. IF you look and get a king run back to the lobby and request queens.

Generally for convention rates they assign rooms in Sago. Although we could end up SL. conch or BC. BPK is now DVC so we won’t be assigned there,

For those curious CR and GF were $350 a night with the purchase of the D23 event tickets.

Me too!

Water view and lagoon are the same. Disney has been tweaking their room category descriptions lately.

By September the outer buildings will be complete . I cant rememeber when the main building will be worked on but we won’t be assigned rooms there anyways so basically you will get a new room.

Also the great majority of the rooms are the 2Q with twin room. IF you look and get a king run back to the lobby and request queens.

Generally for convention rates they assign rooms in Sago. Although we could end up SL. conch or BC. BPK is now DVC so we won’t be assigned there,

For those curious CR and GF were $350 a night with the purchase of the D23 event tickets.
I actually want a king, since this trip it's just my husband and I (no kiddo). But I'm also totally fine with two queens as well.
Thanks for the information! The new room design for the DVC studios is very pretty so I was hoping that I'd be getting a room that looks like that (last time we stayed GF was in 2018 and the rooms were getting a bit dated then, so I'm glad all of them should be done).

Anyone know when it's estimated this construction will be done? I'm going in early Dec and hoping to avoid it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter