Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

Hi all! A bit lengthy here but we are in crunch time to book a bounce back offer with about a day to go! Considering GF in a resort view room and have some questions!

Background… We did Contemporary last year in the garden wing and LOVED it! We had a resort view and kids loved watching the monorail go by. It’s about $490 cheaper to do that same view again at Contemporary, which we would be FINE with, but I’m also a little interested in trying something new!

We did a savanna view at AKL this year and while kids LOVED it, it was just too far from everything for us. We LOVED walking to MK from Contemporary last year and said never again would we do anything else but monorail or walk option for MK.

We thought the garden view room at Contemporary was a great size for us (2 adults, 2 little kids), but thought the AKL room was small. How do the rooms at GF compare?

I think the things we are most interested in during a 3 night stay (we will go to an Epcot resort for the rest of the stay), are… magic kingdom, having a pool day, and dining - GF seems to have a lot of really great restaurants that I’m excited about.

Questions:
1. What’s the room size like, compared to Contemporary and AKL? (It would just be a standard room).
2. Could a resort view potentially get us a view of the monorail - any specific request for this? At Contemporary we particularly liked having a ground floor as with the stroller it was so easy to just go right back to the room after a long day without having to first take an elevator. So ridiculous but we liked it lol
3. How are the pools? We actually really loved the pool at the contemporary. The AKL pool this year was very overcrowded in comparison. We went the same time of year which was weird to see such a difference.
4. It is my understanding that GF actually DOES have room service?! This will be exciting for us. Do they have poolside service too?
5. Does GF have any character dining at the hotel? For context we are looking at end of Aug/beg Sep for next year. Any restaurants to note?
6. Are there any cool hotel-specific experiences? Do they still do a princess tea for kids? I remember reading about it before we had kids and it being $$$$ but it looked really cute.
7. Has anyone done the walk from GF to MK? Obviously based on distance I’m sure it’s a lot lengthier than from Contemporary. how long did it take? We have a double stroller so it usually takes us a bit longer to get places.

Any thoughts/insights would be helpful! My husband just wants to do contemporary again, as we really did love it there, but I’m pretty into trying GF 😬

Hi all! A bit lengthy here but we are in crunch time to book a bounce back offer with about a day to go! Considering GF in a resort view room and have some questions!

Background… We did Contemporary last year in the garden wing and LOVED it! We had a resort view and kids loved watching the monorail go by. It’s about $490 cheaper to do that same view again at Contemporary, which we would be FINE with, but I’m also a little interested in trying something new!

We did a savanna view at AKL this year and while kids LOVED it, it was just too far from everything for us. We LOVED walking to MK from Contemporary last year and said never again would we do anything else but monorail or walk option for MK.

We thought the garden view room at Contemporary was a great size for us (2 adults, 2 little kids), but thought the AKL room was small. How do the rooms at GF compare?

I think the things we are most interested in during a 3 night stay (we will go to an Epcot resort for the rest of the stay), are… magic kingdom, having a pool day, and dining - GF seems to have a lot of really great restaurants that I’m excited about.

Questions:
1. What’s the room size like, compared to Contemporary and AKL? (It would just be a standard room).
2. Could a resort view potentially get us a view of the monorail - any specific request for this? At Contemporary we particularly liked having a ground floor as with the stroller it was so easy to just go right back to the room after a long day without having to first take an elevator. So ridiculous but we liked it lol
3. How are the pools? We actually really loved the pool at the contemporary. The AKL pool this year was very overcrowded in comparison. We went the same time of year which was weird to see such a difference.
4. It is my understanding that GF actually DOES have room service?! This will be exciting for us. Do they have poolside service too?
5. Does GF have any character dining at the hotel? For context we are looking at end of Aug/beg Sep for next year. Any restaurants to note?
6. Are there any cool hotel-specific experiences? Do they still do a princess tea for kids? I remember reading about it before we had kids and it being $$$$ but it looked really cute.
7. Has anyone done the walk from GF to MK? Obviously based on distance I’m sure it’s a lot lengthier than from Contemporary. how long did it take? We have a double stroller so it usually takes us a bit longer to get places.

Any thoughts/insights would be helpful! My husband just wants to do contemporary again, as we really did love it there, but I’m pretty into trying GF 😬
1. GF rooms are bigger than CR garden wing rooms. GF rooms are 440 sq ft, CR Garden Wing rooms are 394 sq ft, and AK rooms are 344 sq ft.

2. Most resort view rooms will have views of trees, the pool, and GF resort overall. Sago Cay would be your best bet at a monorail view, but it's typically where convention and event blocks are held since it's close to the convention center. It's conveniently located near the MK walking path, but it's feels a little further removed from the resort overall. GF outer buildings each have 2 elevators and they are very fast compared to CR Garden Wing. They are also much larger and in better shape. I don't think you need to worry about a ground level room at GF.

3. I don't think you will find overcrowding to be a problem at GF pools. The Beach Pool has a bar with poolside servers and cabanas. There's also a slide, games, and music. It's also usually colder in temperature. The Courtyard Pool has a bar and poolside patios. It is shallower and tends to attract more kids. It's also usually warmer in temperature.

4. Yes, GF is currently the only WDW with room service. It's breakfast and dinner only. No lunch.

5. At the moment GF has no character dining. 1900 Park Fare has not reopened since the shutdown. We all hope it returns when the lobby refurb is complete, but there is no official information regarding that. You can always walk to Poly for 'Ohana or hop on the monorail for Chef Mickeys.

6. Sadly the tea room hasn't returned since the shutdown either.

7. The walk is definitely longer than CR to MK, but it's also more scenic. CR requires you to cross an acitve roadway and GF's path is a casual stroll past the Seven Seas Lagoon. If you walk BC/YC or BW to DHS I think GF to MK will seem shorter.

For $490 GF would be my clear winner, but I am probably biased. You can always book both under Bounce Back and make the decision closer to your travel date when you see how GF construction is. It would just require two deposits.

1. GF rooms are bigger than CR garden wing rooms. GF rooms are 440 sq ft, CR Garden Wing rooms are 394 sq ft, and AK rooms are 344 sq ft.

2. Most resort view rooms will have views of trees, the pool, and GF resort overall. Sago Cay would be your best bet at a monorail view, but it's typically where convention and event blocks are held since it's close to the convention center. It's conveniently located near the MK walking path, but it's feels a little further removed from the resort overall. GF outer buildings each have 2 elevators and they are very fast compared to CR Garden Wing. They are also much larger and in better shape. I don't think you need to worry about a ground level room at GF.

3. I don't think you will find overcrowding to be a problem at GF pools. The Beach Pool has a bar with poolside servers and cabanas. There's also a slide, games, and music. It's also usually colder in temperature. The Courtyard Pool has a bar and poolside patios. It is shallower and tends to attract more kids. It's also usually warmer in temperature.

4. Yes, GF is currently the only WDW with room service. It's breakfast and dinner only. No lunch.

5. At the moment GF has no character dining. 1900 Park Fare has not reopened since the shutdown. We all hope it returns when the lobby refurb is complete, but there is no official information regarding that. You can always walk to Poly for 'Ohana or hop on the monorail for Chef Mickeys.

7. The walk is definitely longer than CR to MK, but it's also more scenic. CR requires you to cross an acitve roadway and GF's path is a casual stroll past the Seven Seas Lagoon. If you walk BC/YC or BW to DHS I think GF to MK will seem shorter.

For $490 GF would be my clear winner, but I am probably biased. You can always book both under Bounce Back and make the decision closer to your travel date when you see how GF construction is. It would just require two deposits.
Thank you so much for all this info - very helpful! We LOVED Contemporary so I can’t picture anything being “better” but I’m so interested to try GF! That’s interesting I didn’t know you can book two hotels. They let you do that for the same dates? What happens when you cancel one, can i apply the $200 to the other reservation or is it just refunded? Is it true we can cancel up to when the balance is due? We’ve never had to cancel before (fingers crossed) so have not had to deal with that.

Thank you so much for all this info - very helpful! We LOVED Contemporary so I can’t picture anything being “better” but I’m so interested to try GF! That’s interesting I didn’t know you can book two hotels. They let you do that for the same dates? What happens when you cancel one, can i apply the $200 to the other reservation or is it just refunded? Is it true we can cancel up to when the balance is due? We’ve never had to cancel before (fingers crossed) so have not had to deal with that.
I understand. All the Disney resorts offer wonderful experiences! I've had plenty of enjoyable CR Garden Wing stays myself. It was always nice to walk back after MNSSHP and it was more cost effective, but then GF got the walking path.

Booking more than one room for the same dates is YMMV with each CM. Some will insist it is not possible and others will do it without questioning it. It's easy when you can book the rooms online since you can do it yourself, but having to actually have the CM book it on the phone can make it a little more difficult. If the CM you get won't do it I would just book one room, hang up, call back, and make someone else the lead guest on the other reservation. You can hold onto them both no problem. I've had more than two reservations in MDE overlapping the same dates at the same time. The only thing you really can't do is be checked-in to more than one resort. That will cause MB issues, charging issues, etc. Disney room refunds are easy. Since you mentioned $200 you are booking packages. A package can be cancelled 30+ days prior to arrival without penalty. If you cancel before 30 days you will get your $200 deposit refunded back to the original form of payment. If you use a Disney GC hold onto it since it will go back to that same exact GC. Room only can be cancelled 5+ days prior to arrival, but requires a larger deposit since it's the first full night + tax. Disney can apply the money to a different reservation, but I find it simpler to take the refund.

For $490 GF would be my clear winner, but I am probably biased. You can always book both under Bounce Back and make the

decision closer to your travel date when you see how GF construction is. It would just require two deposits.
IMO the new rooms in GF are just so pretty and well laid out, I would call and request view of monorail. 👍
IMG_5983.jpegIMG_5990.jpegIMG_5994.jpeg69031390293__D55EBFC6-8A01-43CE-A595-C83D3A9D5FAD.jpegIMG_5995.jpeg69031392774__F4C5567D-0C76-414A-AA63-AB84C1E91FFD.jpegIMG_5989.jpegIMG_5985.jpeg69031902935__013FDDEF-2431-46C4-964D-431CAE5F94DF.jpeg

@TeamSy I am also stuck between CR and GF. My trip is only 2 nights to do the 2 Christmas parties so we will have a lot of resort time. I’m holding both reservations because the construction at GF scares me. I have stayed at CR several times but not since the room refurb. It’s such a tough decision!

I understand. All the Disney resorts offer wonderful experiences! I've had plenty of enjoyable CR Garden Wing stays myself. It was always nice to walk back after MNSSHP and it was more cost effective, but then GF got the walking path.

Booking more than one room for the same dates is YMMV with each CM. Some will insist it is not possible and others will do it without questioning it. It's easy when you can book the rooms online since you can do it yourself, but having to actually have the CM book it on the phone can make it a little more difficult. If the CM you get won't do it I would just book one room, hang up, call back, and make someone else the lead guest on the other reservation. You can hold onto them both no problem. I've had more than two reservations in MDE overlapping the same dates at the same time. The only thing you really can't do is be checked-in to more than one resort. That will cause MB issues, charging issues, etc. Disney room refunds are easy. Since you mentioned $200 you are booking packages. A package can be cancelled 30+ days prior to arrival without penalty. If you cancel before 30 days you will get your $200 deposit refunded back to the original form of payment. If you use a Disney GC hold onto it since it will go back to that same exact GC. Room only can be cancelled 5+ days prior to arrival, but requires a larger deposit since it's the first full night + tax. Disney can apply the money to a different reservation, but I find it simpler to take the refund.
Can a package be modified within 30 days? If you wanted to change resorts? Thanks!

I agree! I love The Incredibles, but the CR refurb leaves a bit to be desired IMO. GF is luxe and warm with subtle Disney touches. CR is colder and very aggressive Disney theming.

@TeamSy I am also stuck between CR and GF. My trip is only 2 nights to do the 2 Christmas parties so we will have a lot of resort time. I’m holding both reservations because the construction at GF scares me. I have stayed at CR several times but not since the room refurb. It’s such a tough decision!
GF internal lobby construction seems to have recently stopped besides the guest rooms and it's been rumored it will stay open for the holiday season. The scaffolding on the outside is another story.

When did GF Cafe get a new menu?! I’m not great about following GF specifically but I used to love the salmon dish and it’s gone now! Replaced with something with chorizo and vegetable hash, hard pass for me. Trying the new pork shank instead, my server heartily endorsed it…IMG_0271.jpeg

I know. I’m hoping by next September the constitution will be done 🤷🏻‍♀️. I just started looking into photos and cannot believe the construction going on!!! I would not want to stay there right now! Last year at CR we did get the new incredibles room. While we have not seen the movie because the kids are a little too young we absolutely loved the room! Was surprised by how spacious it was. We were in the garden wing and loved the quietness! What a nice walk and break! We loved the ground floor room because it made it seem like such an easy walk everywhere! It was our first time staying there and we fell in love with it! I feel like the kids shouting with glee every time they saw the monorail pass by outside our window has become such a core memory. With that said, I think we are all in to give GF a try! The rooms really do look beautiful, we love that there’s room service, the pools look nice and that and MK are a huge part of our trip, and that walking path option is a huge plus as well! I’m glad to hear for your trip they will pause the construction for the holiday. I’m praying the construction is done in a year 😬. Was hoping they would open 1900 park fare again too but that may be just too big of an ask lol

When did GF Cafe get a new menu?! I’m not great about following GF specifically but I used to love the salmon dish and it’s gone now! Replaced with something with chorizo and vegetable hash, hard pass for me. Trying the new pork shank instead, my server heartily endorsed it…View attachment 791091
IMG_0272.jpeg

Continued- pork shank was DELISH. Would totally have again (unless I wanted to avoid salt, the dish does seem salty but my wine tones that down 😝).

When did GF Cafe get a new menu?! I’m not great about following GF specifically but I used to love the salmon dish and it’s gone now! Replaced with something with chorizo and vegetable hash, hard pass for me. Trying the new pork shank instead, my server heartily endorsed it…View attachment 791091
I was looking at GGG mobile order today and their menu was different as well.

I know. I’m hoping by next September the constitution will be done 🤷🏻‍♀️. I just started looking into photos and cannot believe the construction going on!!! I would not want to stay there right now!

From my understanding, the construction looks a lot worse than it actually is. Yes, in pictures it doesn't look great but that's because it's just pictures of the construction. If you look at the whole resort there is only one building under construction (AFAIK) and the rest are normal. It's not like the whole hotel has scaffolding around it.

I’m at the grand right now and honestly the construction isn’t noticeable until you’re right to the main building area. It’s not disrupting much. Lobby is beautiful and completely reopen minus the main floor rooms.

Thank you for the update. I am leaning toward keeping my GF booking simply off of a room to room comparison with CR. I am not into the Incredibles and I would like the chance to cross GF off my bucket list!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter