• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

I know I know, I hate these types of posts but... I've a three day Grand Flo trip coming up with my wife and 2 and 4 year old. We've a VIP tour one day and then have our park plans sorted for the other days. We've only stayed at POFQ before and was wondering if those who have stayed at The Flo could share some of their favorite things to do to make the most of the resort? Obviously the kiddos will love the pool, but anything else we should seek out or try and do? Are there any character M&Gs? We once met Mr Smee by the pool at PO.

Also do we really need to make a ADR for the cafe if we're planning to dine around 5 / 6 pm or should we be fine with a walk up?

Thanks so much in advance...

I know I know, I hate these types of posts but... I've a three day Grand Flo trip coming up with my wife and 2 and 4 year old. We've a VIP tour one day and then have our park plans sorted for the other days. We've only stayed at POFQ before and was wondering if those who have stayed at The Flo could share some of their favorite things to do to make the most of the resort? Obviously the kiddos will love the pool, but anything else we should seek out or try and do? Are there any character M&Gs? We once met Mr Smee by the pool at PO.

Also do we really need to make a ADR for the cafe if we're planning to dine around 5 / 6 pm or should we be fine with a walk up?

Thanks so much in advance...
Congratulations on your upcoming trip! I'm insanely jealous! Now, I would grab a resort activities sheet to see what's going on around the GF. I haven't been back to WDW since our 2019 trip and so I can't guarantee anything special in terms of characters or the like. But there are usually fun things going on around the Beach Pool (the one with the waterslide) and campfire stuff at the fire pit near the splash pad. There are also movies under the stars. The GF has some fun shops to investigate and a marina for hiring boats, firework cruises etc. The gardens are nice for strolling, too. I would definitely recommend heading down to the Boat Dock (where you can catch a boat to the MK). There are one or two bench seats on the end of the dock where you can get a good view of the Electrical Water Pageant and/or the MK fireworks. Check the nightly show time and get there a little early to snag a good place! Of course, it's fun to jump on the monorail and check out the other monorail resorts. Grab a Dole Whip at the Poly or a cupcake at the CR.

I'm sure there are posters around here with more recent stays and memories who could give you some further selections! But, have a wonderful GF stay and have a lot of fun! As I said, I am insanely jealous!!! :cloud9:

Congratulations on your upcoming trip! I'm insanely jealous! Now, I would grab a resort activities sheet to see what's going on around the GF. I haven't been back to WDW since our 2019 trip and so I can't guarantee anything special in terms of characters or the like. But there are usually fun things going on around the Beach Pool (the one with the waterslide) and campfire stuff at the fire pit near the splash pad. There are also movies under the stars. The GF has some fun shops to investigate and a marina for hiring boats, firework cruises etc. The gardens are nice for strolling, too. I would definitely recommend heading down to the Boat Dock (where you can catch a boat to the MK). There are one or two bench seats on the end of the dock where you can get a good view of the Electrical Water Pageant and/or the MK fireworks. Check the nightly show time and get there a little early to snag a good place! Of course, it's fun to jump on the monorail and check out the other monorail resorts. Grab a Dole Whip at the Poly or a cupcake at the CR.

I'm sure there are posters around here with more recent stays and memories who could give you some further selections! But, have a wonderful GF stay and have a lot of fun! As I said, I am insanely jealous!!! :cloud9:
Thank you so much!

Hi guys!

Just popping in to say that my mom and I were able to snag a DVC rental in one of the new rooms for part of our Marathon Weekend trip (Fri-Mon) and to say I'm excited is an understatement. Never really thought I'd stay at GF but I can't wait to check it off my list. Even more excited after seeing a tour video someone posted of the new rooms. They're gorgeous. 😍

Looking forward to following along with this thread for the next few months to get ready for my trip and learn about everyone's favorite parts of the resort!

I see your signature. Yep my mission too! I also have to try all the club levels. I only have Tonga at poly and YC left.

Only SSR for resorts and Wl, AKL and BC dvc left. Although I’m not sure I’m going to do the dvc ones since I have stayed at those resorts….

It’s hard to get SSR . I have zero interest to try it. I’d rather be at gf lol.
That’s aweomse! We have only done CSR club level, but will be doing GF in nov/December thanks to Bill! Lol we fell in love with CL , loved feeling so spoiled!

I have similar feelings about SSR we had a trip planned during Covid that we booked because it was the only resort available. It got canceled and I just haven’t really felt a desire to book and try it out. I’m sure I’ll make it eventually…

Balconies in the Main Building of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort to Be Refurbished Starting July 18

Beginning July 18, the balconies located on the third floor of the main building of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa will be closed for refurbishment. Refurbishment work will take place during daytime hours (typically from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily) and is expected to be completed by mid-August. No major visual alteration are expected at this time.
Wow that is horrible notice for those checking in next week.

Yeah, they are. But if you booked a TPV room in the main building and had no balcony access for your stay, you might say something, too ;).
That’s what I was just saying to dispro via text. If we know about construction that’s one thing but to spring it on rooms costing $1000+ seems not right. The scaffolds may be visible even if your floor isn’t where work is. Also loud work.

Hope it looks good after!

That’s what I was just saying to dispro via text. If we know about construction that’s one thing but to spring it on rooms costing $1000+ seems not right. The scaffolds may be visible even if your floor isn’t where work is. Also loud work.

Hope it looks good after!
I’ve been trying to talk my sister into switching resorts all morning. We have a D+ discount, but still.

My biggest fear is that they will shut down main building lobby for refurb. I’m not going till next May but still lol. I’ve never been in it

I’ve been trying to talk my sister into switching resorts all morning. We have a D+ discount, but still.
How soon is your trip? Will you have time to see what things look like once they actually start working on the main building balconies? I'm assuming somebody online will post an update...I hope (maybe someone from DIS). I'm going back mid September, and at first I freaked out and booked a backup reservation at CR, but CR really isn't my favorite (not even close) so now I'm thinking maybe it won't be that big a deal??
My biggest fear is that they will shut down main building lobby for refurb. I’m not going till next May but still lol. I’ve never been in it
I wish they had done all of this during the pandemic when not many people were traveling! I remember what a mess it was when they were putting all that marble in the main building...yuck! I really hope they don't replace all of that, but I'm afraid they might if the color scheme doesn't match the new design. That marble must've been so expensive, and the Disney characters in the marble are so cute!

How soon is your trip? Will you have time to see what things look like once they actually start working on the main building balconies? I'm assuming somebody online will post an update...I hope (maybe someone from DIS). I'm going back mid September, and at first I freaked out and booked a backup reservation at CR, but CR really isn't my favorite (not even close) so now I'm thinking maybe it won't be that big a deal?
It’s a nonstarter, I’m going in late August (gotcha covered on updates, they’ll be in the CL thread ;) ) specifically for MNSSHP with my sister and niece, and she won’t switch resorts. I’m also not a big fan of CR (we’re springing for CL, and GF>CR!!). We did get a nice discount, and it is August (bleah, sweltering), so there’s that. I reread that story - can’t tell if they are STARTING on the 3rd floor and the overall balcony reno will take the time specified or whether just the 3rd floor will take that time. I suppose we’ll see. One thing’s for sure, I’ll have to reschedule the 1-4 pm work telecons I was hoping to take on Friday afternoon!!

It’s a nonstarter, I’m going in late August (gotcha covered on updates, they’ll be in the CL thread ;) ) specifically for MNSSHP with my sister and niece, and she won’t switch resorts. I’m also not a big fan of CR (we’re springing for CL, and GF>CR!!). We did get a nice discount, and it is August (bleah, sweltering), so there’s that. I reread that story - can’t tell if they are STARTING on the 3rd floor and the overall balcony reno will take the time specified or whether just the 3rd floor will take that time. I suppose we’ll see. One thing’s for sure, I’ll have to reschedule the 1-4 pm work telecons I was hoping to take on Friday afternoon!!
I’ll be watching for your updates…thanks! If you need a quiet place for a work call, you might consider the couch on the fifth floor of RPC. It’s typically empty up there that time of day…although you may not want to be there for 3 hours lol! The windows/view up there are gorgeous, but these were the only pictures I could find from that couch area.

Attachments

• A334F3B2-EADD-4D51-8C70-78C3959E1C0F.jpeg
    A334F3B2-EADD-4D51-8C70-78C3959E1C0F.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 1E74C036-7F50-474F-8F19-10DA43CB8465.jpeg
    1E74C036-7F50-474F-8F19-10DA43CB8465.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 20
People are gonna be 😡. I’m selfishly worried this will be moving up to the 4th and 5th floors after that (since I’m there late August with a TPV and want to watch fireworks from my balcony).
We have a TPV room booked for mid-October. I will be extremely 🤬 if this impacts our 40th anniversary trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter