Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

We have standard garden view booked. I’ve had back surgery and the stairs can be a pain after a day in the park so I was thinking of asking for ground floor but I don’t like hearing someone upstairs. I know at Pop and AoA upstairs noise can be loud, how is it at the gf.

The TPV rooms are over the marina section with good views of MK. Well CR and Poly views are better but for gf it’s good.
Std has 2 types. One is the rooms facing poly and they are overlooking the lobby . 4x23-28. They have a wet bar which isn’t in other rooms. The others are 4x13-18. 4x17-18 have a partial fireworks view.
There is a 3rd floor balcony from the main building with decent views of fireworks but going down to marina is better.
There is a 2nd elevator just past 4x13 that goes down to Gaspies quick service and marina.
Thanks, hopefully I can get a partial fireworks view if I asked for views of MK. I originally had TPV but read that poly was the best for tpv. Since, it was literally 1 k difference between TPV and standard I switched to standard view. The description in standard view was you could either get the pool view, mk view, or lagoon view. Finger's crossed I get mk view since I will be celebrating my bday there!

I received a notice today that starting 3/1/22 GF will undergo refurbishment. Does anyone have insights to what this refers to? I thought perhaps the big pine key renovation, but was unsure. Depending on what this is, I may change my room request (conch key currently).

They are redoing all the buildings from what I've heard. Our convention is in early December and they're supposed to still be doing renovations then. I also heard that Sugarloaf will not be concierge anymore and will become a regular building with a few Suites that have main building club access.

They are redoing all the buildings from what I've heard.

May I ask where you heard/found that information? The only announced renovations at this current time is the conversion of BPK (standard rooms) to DVC rooms. That would be great, if true, but have not seen any announcements.

The website offers this, but I can only assume it’s the BPK project.

625C1802-A981-480D-9BDE-CE9D4F6554FC.jpeg

Last edited:
May I ask where you heard/found that information? The only announced renovations at this current time is the conversion of BPK (standard rooms) to DVC rooms. That would be great, if true, but have not seen any announcements.

The website offers this, but I can only assume it’s the BPK project.

View attachment 647847
From my Convention Service Manager:

You may see and/or hear an announcement today about there being some “grand” updates coming to the Grand Floridian. This is excellent news on many levels as we continuously enhance our parks and resorts for our guests, but I’m sure you are wondering, “How is this going to affect my event?”

Luckily, the impact will be minimal. There will only be visible construction activity on property from 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. The outer buildings are being worked on individually and one at a time. For example, Building 9 will be worked on first, and when it is complete and reopened for guests, another building will begin construction.

There may be visible evidence of construction taking place at Building 9, which is the building closest to Summerhouse, where you have your Vendor Reception. Luckily again, the view of that building FROM Summerhouse is also minimal (blocked by trees) and we will set the space up closer to the beach anyway, which is at the opposite end of the venue. My hope is that by December this is a moot point. 😊

Your guests will still have a memorable event and we don’t anticipate this causing any challenges whatsoever. But, in the spirit of transparency and planning ahead, I didn’t want you to be surprised by the upcoming changes that will be happening.

As I hear more I'll add to the conversation. Trust me, I wasn't happy to hear we were going to have construction done while at my convention. I've already been through two other rehabs while hosting conventions at Disney, Yacht Club and CSR. Ugh

As @FBS@WDW reported, here’s the official announcement! (Thanks for the heads up!)

Lengthy Construction at Grand Floridian Resort and Spa to Impact Resort Through 2023

Disney has announced that they will be starting construction and refurbishment at Disney’s Grand Floridian and Spa on March 1st. Here’s the announcement:

As we previously shared, we are working on our grand plans to expand and enhance The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.

Beginning March 1, Guests will notice construction and refurbishment work at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa during daytime hours. Most resort amenities will remain available to Guests throughout this work.
Disney World
The work is expected to last into 2023 as Disney works on buildings furthest away from the main building and lobby.

As @FBS@WDW reported, here’s the official announcement! (Thanks for the heads up!)

Lengthy Construction at Grand Floridian Resort and Spa to Impact Resort Through 2023

Disney has announced that they will be starting construction and refurbishment at Disney’s Grand Floridian and Spa on March 1st. Here’s the announcement:

The work is expected to last into 2023 as Disney works on buildings furthest away from the main building and lobby.

Ok, I know this is an announcement saying ALL the buildings, but even in the quote it says…

As we previously shared, we are working on our grand plans to expand and enhance The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.

Disney doesn’t specifically mention all the buildings, just the conversion. What do you guys think?? I’m skeptical and wish there was more information.

Here's what I got from one of the Convention folks.......I have one other contact at GF I sent an email to this morning. Hopefully that will be more concrete on what all they're doing.

"The grand room renovation is all outer buildings, one building at a time, starting with building 9. No mention of the main building in "name removed" email but I imagine that will be done also. Sounds like they expect to be on building 9 in December but maybe "name removed" can clarify."

Here's what I got from one of the Convention folks.......I have one other contact at GF I sent an email to this morning. Hopefully that will be more concrete on what all they're doing.

"The grand room renovation is all outer buildings, one building at a time, starting with building 9. No mention of the main building in "name removed" email but I imagine that will be done also. Sounds like they expect to be on building 9 in December but maybe "name removed" can clarify."

I had to look at a map of the GF to figure out the corresponding building numbers - Building 9 is Big Pine Key, and that's the one being converted to DVC. So makes sense that it will be done first and it absolutely will be done way before December since it's being advertised to open this "summer". It sounds like the regular rooms are all going to be refurbished also though! And having gotten married and had a private event with Disney myself in the past, I would trust the information coming from your convention coordinator to be accurate. I bet more information will be forthcoming, but it makes sense considering the Poly and Contemporary rooms have both been recently refurbed. We are planning on DVC, but still excited to see concept art for the new regular resort rooms. Would love to see them bring back some Alice in Wonderland influences since the DVC rooms seem to be going with more of a Mary Poppins theme.

Yes, Big Pine Key first.........my understanding is Sugarloaf will be going away from Club access building too. The couple suites in there can still go to RPC, but the rest of the rooms will be non-club GV rooms. I would suggest following where my conventions go, that's normally the place they'll do Renovations. lol! It's been my luck......

R they only working on outer buildings? I'm hoping main building gets renovated as well since contemporary and Polynesian finished up.

We have standard garden view booked. I’ve had back surgery and the stairs can be a pain after a day in the park so I was thinking of asking for ground floor but I don’t like hearing someone upstairs. I know at Pop and AoA upstairs noise can be loud, how is it at the gf.
The buildings all have an elevator a you enter the building from the center doors. You could request upper floor. However it’s tricky. All 5th floor would be the top. 4th can be for SL and rooms on the ends for all the other buildings . SL floor on the ends are the top floor. If confusing look at the pix of the buildings, the center is taller than sides.

However gf rooms in general are pretty quiet. Id go with 1st floor. It’s nice if it rains to take short cuts through the buildings and use doors on the end.

I would request SL. It’s only a request and not guaranteed but it’s a nice central location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter