Disney's CARIBBEAN BEACH RESORT Information & Questions

I definitely appreciate all the honest reviews and the video. I think it's important for people to have all the information so that they can make an informed decision. We all have different priorities. For me, personally, this construction is a deal breaker. It might not be for others.
Yes - agreed - different people will have different levels of tolerance for deal breakers. For us, we tour the parks pretty heavily the first 4-5 days but then are ready to kick back at the resort and enter the parks for half days at best. Once I saw the offerings for the modified QS and the video of the construction I realized that chilling by the pool won't be that super relaxed experience we have come to love so much. Factored into this is that I am vegetarian and my younger kid is super picky (he ives on chicken nuggets, fries, pizza and salad at WDW), so for us the food options are overpriced/not great. Anyway, we are still going to stay, but during the first part when we will eat our meals outside of the resort. Since we booked when GCs were being offered plus were able to apply the summer discount rate, CBR costs less than a Value. I figure having the larger and more comy beds makes it doable for the commando part of our trip. And perhaps by the time we arrive, the food options might even improve.

We haven't been to the CBR since the 90s. Tried several other hotels with our favorite being the Boardwalk, but we decided we wanted to try the Caribbean again despite the construction. We will be pretty far out from it at Trinidad South and since we won't be at the resort too much, we decided to chance it. We got the summer discount and are supposed to receive the gift cards which I wasn't sure we qualified for, based on some reservation maneuvering we did. Anyway, we figured why not? Still a few months out so time will tell...popcorn:: Good to see all these points of view, it's really subjective how one views these things.

Thank you to everyone keeping us updated about everything going on during the construction at CBR.

Has anyone had experience with the buffet or food truck that has food allergies?

Gitts2008 reported that she spoke to several CMs on the phone about food allergies and she feels confident that allergy concerns will be addressed and there will be options for those that have food allergies. I wish I could feel confident about this. Hoping to hear reports from someone that has been there since the food truck and buffet have been in operation that has a food allergy.

Same here! Especially Gluten free choices.. TIA

Thank you to everyone keeping us updated about everything going on during the construction at CBR.

Has anyone had experience with the buffet or food truck that has food allergies?

Gitts2008 reported that she spoke to several CMs on the phone about food allergies and she feels confident that allergy concerns will be addressed and there will be options for those that have food allergies. I wish I could feel confident about this. Hoping to hear reports from someone that has been there since the food truck and buffet have been in operation that has a food allergy.

My shellfish allergy is very easy to manage...just stay away from it. I will not be doing the buffet at CBR, due to the people who may cross contaminate. DH has a dairy allergy. He can consume dairy and it will not kill him. My allergy will kill me. So, if you have a severe allergy ask for the chef and at the food trucks as to see the allergy binder. At several places, the CM's had a binder that listed what each meal contained regarding allergies. BUT!!! Once my mom (when she traveled with us) was given a wrap that contained soy (not deadly, but had to do with a medication interaction), so even those binders are not foolproof.
Above all have the allergy noted on the reservation. At Akershus, the chef made me my own meal. At CBR food court, chef's made my mom her own meals.
In all my years going to WDW, I have always felt confident eating the meals served since I speak with the chef before hand to ensure no cross contamination.

Not personally,but I saw a Guest the other night speaking to a Manager about having no options at Centertown Buffet and saying the food situation was a nightmare for her.

The Manager promptly brought a Chef to her,I'm assuming to personally cook for her.

Most Guests I've seen "seem" happy.

I think it just depends on the situation-I'm in Jamaica which is still first bus stop returning from the Parks and still has access to Centertown via the bridge,etc.

The limited food offerings and other inconveniences are "offset" by the $75.00 per night "compensation" from where I am located.

I would NOT stay at the Resort without the compensation,but for a stay in Jamaica with the compensation,I'm happy.

Thank you Wedwdw! It is good to know that you can speak to a chef there. I am hoping they will make the allergy waffles for my daughter.

Hi,
I booked CBR and got a move to another resort but I an now considering adding a few extra days to our trip.
Has anyone else done this and if so did you pay CBR rate or the new resort rate?
I would like to have an idea of cost so I know how many extra days I can "suggest" to my husband.
Thank you for your help

I've been seeing a lot of reports of folks on the FB CBR page and they are all pretty pleased with the state of things at the resort. Haven't seen any complaints so far. I'd guess that most of the guests there now did get the gift card, if not more. That may be the big difference here. We may see much different reports when the guests start stays without gift cards

Hi,
I booked CBR and got a move to another resort but I an now considering adding a few extra days to our trip.
Has anyone else done this and if so did you pay CBR rate or the new resort rate?
I would like to have an idea of cost so I know how many extra days I can "suggest" to my husband.
Thank you for your help

I can't say for certainty because I have not tried to add any days. I was moved from CBR to SSR and they did tell me when the switch was made that I could not make any changes to the dates or add anybody to the reservation while retaining the same price. I would think that you would have to pay the price of the new resort for any days you add since it wasn't part of the original concession offering that they gave you. My reservation has a notification on it that it can't be modified and only Guest Services can make any changes, but they have to basically override the system. My guess is any changes that have to do with the concession offering itself, such as adding, deleting, or changing dates while retaining that concession discount, will not be permitted. I could be wrong though.

I've been seeing a lot of reports of folks on the FB CBR page and they are all pretty pleased with the state of things at the resort. Haven't seen any complaints so far. I'd guess that most of the guests there now did get the gift card, if not more. That may be the big difference here. We may see much different reports when the guests start stays without gift cards

AngiTN -- What is the name of this FB page, please? The only one I've been able to find searching CBR is a general feel good page with a lot of pictures and not a lot of content. Thanks!

Why should people who booked after that gift card offer "expired" not receive them?
Simply because Disney decided that at one arbitrary date they would discontinue the additional compensation?
Will these guests not experience the same discomfort as those who booked a few weeks prior?
Has anyone given thought to emailing the General Manager and asking for some compensation?
Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like the compensation should be for anyone staying while construction is happening.

Why should people who booked after that gift card offer "expired" not receive them?
Simply because Disney decided that at one arbitrary date they would discontinue the additional compensation?
Will these guests not experience the same discomfort as those who booked a few weeks prior?
Has anyone given thought to emailing the General Manager and asking for some compensation?
Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like the compensation should be for anyone staying while construction is happening.
In a word, yes. All offers have end dates. This one did too
While I can't disagree with you regarding it would be nice if they did continue to offer the card all throughout the construction they fact is they are within their rights to not offer it. They do get to decide the dates an offer is available. Guest A can always complain they don't get the offer given to Guest B but really, they haven't a leg to stand on. Offers change all the time. Just the way it is.

I booked a Standard View room for next week. I'm wanting to call in to request a specific building, if possible. What is the best building to book during the construction? I've heard Jamaica 45 isn't bad, but are there others? I want something good for the buses as well - I've read that they can be packed and they stop at every single stop, so it can take an extra 10-20 minutes to get to the parks.

I've said that from Day 1.

The GC is COMPENSATION-very different from a normal DISCOUNT which is of course limited in nature and not available to everyone.

COMPENSATION should be given to everyone experiencing the Construction or to no one.

I am happy staying here with the GC-would NOT stay here without it.

I've said that from Day 1.

The GC is COMPENSATION-very different from a normal DISCOUNT which is of course limited in nature and not available to everyone.

COMPENSATION should be given to everyone experiencing the Construction or to no one.

I am happy staying here with the GC-would NOT stay here without it.
Wait....so your telling me people are staying here with no compensation whatsoever?? ohhh heck no..

This is just my suspicion and based only on my own little mind. I suspect that what happened was that there were such a large number of people who learned of the gift card offer and booked CBR only for that reason, Disney made the decision to suspend the offer because they were reaching capacity. Typically with a big project such as what is happening at CBR, you don't want a resort that is completely full so the construction can move ahead without guests "in the way" for lack of a better term. (Not that paying guests are ever "in the way" but if the resort is 100% full there is the potential for problems. Or from another viewpoint, if something were to go wrong with the construction and guests had to be moved from one area to another or heaven forbid evacuated, that could be a whole other set of problems for a full resort.

Does that mean that those who booked after March 19 (20?) will receive nothing for the inconvenience of construction.... not necessarily. Disney is known for their customer service and going above and beyond for their guests in so many situations (after all, isn't that a big part of why we all love it so much?). While the construction compensation may not be a $75 per night gift card, I have to believe there will be **SOMETHING** for those staying during this time. Perhaps not something that would entice people to book CBR just for the "perk", but some type of offering none the less.

I do believe that Disney severely underestimated guest response to the somewhat late announcement of such major construction, then underestimated again the response to the gift cards. They seem to have finally accepted that this really is a pretty big deal and will have a better plan moving forward.

We booked back in October and it never crossed my mind to stay anywhere else -- even after I learned of the construction by reading these boards. I have yet to receive any emails about construction or gift cards or anything else, although my parents who will be traveling with us have. We check in to CBR next Wednesday and will make the best of whatever comes our way.

As a side note: Has anyone compared the pre-gift card rack rate with the post gift card rack rate? I admit I didn't pay attention to the per night rate when we booked, only our total package cost. If the rack rate is lower now that the gift cards are not available, that may be part of the compensation for the construction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter