Disney's ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm I spent a good amount of money booking the room when it didn't get the refresh. I wonder if I don't like it in person if they can switch me to one with original style. I would assume so, even if it's not DVC floor

Confused. Did you book a DVC villa through DVC Member Services, or by renting points? If yes, I doubt you would be switched to a regular room. But I could be wrong.

I rented points, but I rented points based on how the rooms looked before they were refreshed. I am saying what if I go there and hate the new look? They wouldn't just move me to a room with the old style?
They will not move you from a point DVC studio to a cash reservation room - they are completely different reservation systems.
Also be aware that they are unlikely to be able to relocate you from one studio villa to another as DVC tends to be close to 100% booked, thus they don't usually have available villas to move you to. Even if they can move you if you've been in the original villa they may charge you a cleaning fee to move ($50 I think.)
People rent DVC points and don't understand that DVC stays have some important differences from regular Disney cash reservations. Inability to change villas at check in because of high occupancy v. the easier switch of rooms w/ cash reservations is one such difference.
BTW the refurb villa pix look very much like the villas looked before the refurb - the furniture is the same, the TV is bigger, the clean white bed covering has replaced the ugly dark patterned one they had before. In fact I'm pretty sure our villa last Dec. was refurbed - but the difference from previous years was so de minimus that it made no impression on me. The WOW at AKL IMO is the savanna view from your balcony, the grand lobby w/ it's incredible African artifacts/art, etc.. Hope you have a great time.

They will not move you from a point DVC studio to a cash reservation room - they are completely different reservation systems.
Also be aware that they are unlikely to be able to relocate you from one studio villa to another as DVC tends to be close to 100% booked, thus they don't usually have available villas to move you to. Even if they can move you if you've been in the original villa they may charge you a cleaning fee to move ($50 I think.)
People rent DVC points and don't understand that DVC stays have some important differences from regular Disney cash reservations. Inability to change villas at check in because of high occupancy v. the easier switch of rooms w/ cash reservations is one such difference.
BTW the refurb villa pix look very much like the villas looked before the refurb - the furniture is the same, the TV is bigger, the clean white bed covering has replaced the ugly dark patterned one they had before. In fact I'm pretty sure our villa last Dec. was refurbed - but the difference from previous years was so de minimus that it made no impression on me. The WOW at AKL IMO is the savanna view from your balcony, the grand lobby w/ it's incredible African artifacts/art, etc.. Hope you have a great time.

Great, and correct, info! And I agree that the room is basically the same, except a little lighter.

ITALIANNYC: What you may not know is the darkness of the rooms is/was the biggest complaint guests (both resort and DVC) had about the rooms - that there wasn't enough light!

Greetings AKLites !

Well after much debate on whether we would go back to Wilderness Lodge next year or SSR for two weeks we decided we're long overdue to spend a full 2 weeks at AKL (having spent 3 nights there 8.5 years ago and loved it).
With the new night offerings at AK and the likelihood of Avatar land being open next Summer it feels as though AKL is the right place to be.

Thanks to free dining etc being released today we're all booked for 2017.

AKL here we come (again !).

J

Hi all!

Cancelled a FD BB for September in POR (didn't fit our dates and I just wasn't that excited about having the DDP) and switched to AKL in October because of the kids' Fall Break.

This will be our second time staying here, but the first was in 2010, so it's been a while! Our dates are 10/5-10/10.

Does anyone know the current prices for breakfast at Boma?
According to Rusty Scupper's master thread it's:
bfast . . . 11/15/2015 Adult: $24.49, Child: $13.84

Do ya'll think I need breakfast ADRs for Boma, or do they take walk-ins?

Wanted to ask here and I'll ask in the CL thread too.... I've not been keeping up closely but wondered if they are still doing turn down service for CL rooms?
We stayed AKL CL room last week. I was looking forward to the turn down chocolates and little saying they used to leave. No one ever showed up. Mistake or change?

Wanted to ask here and I'll ask in the CL thread too.... I've not been keeping up closely but wondered if they are still doing turn down service for CL rooms?
We stayed AKL CL room last week. I was looking forward to the turn down chocolates and little saying they used to leave. No one ever showed up. Mistake or change?

At AKL now the turn down service is by request only. If you look at the amenities section for CL Rooms at AKL on the WDW website, turn down service is no longer listed. Currently this is only at AKL. All the other CLs still offer it automatically and still list it as an amenity.

Thanks. Having stayed at them all I never read those things anymore. No big deal. I sure didn't pick it for that, that's for sure. Honestly, we still have a bag of chocolates from our last few stays. I stick them in DH's lunch bag every few weeks. :)

Reading about the refillable mugs. Will definitely be getting one for myself because of my very serious need for multiple cups of coffee. :) But wondering if it's worthwhile for my daughter. What other drinks are available? THANKS!

Reading about the refillable mugs. Will definitely be getting one for myself because of my very serious need for multiple cups of coffee. :) But wondering if it's worthwhile for my daughter. What other drinks are available? THANKS!

Sodas, ice tea (a couple flavors), I think there was lemonade in the soda machine, hot cocoa, tea, coffee.

I have a question about buses that I hope someone can help me with. I am trying to decide between Kidani and Jambo. I have read that the buses, except for the Disney Springs ones, pick up and drop off Kidani first. Does this really make a difference as far as seating etc.? We're currently booked at Jambo but a 1 bedroom at Kidani for the same time frame is about the same price. With three small children I was thinking Jambo, with easier access to quick service would be a better choice, but if there is a bus advantage to Kidani it might be worth considering. Thanks!!

We were there last weekend. The bus was the one thing that I didn't love about AKL. We usually stay at Pop and get to sit on the bus about 90% of the time when leaving the resort. For the 3 days we were at AKL, the bus was almost full and standing room only by the time we got on it at Jambo House every single time. I don't know what would happen if someone in a scooter or a wheelchair ever needed to get on at Jambo house because the bus was already full.

We were there last weekend. The bus was the one thing that I didn't love about AKL. We usually stay at Pop and get to sit on the bus about 90% of the time when leaving the resort. For the 3 days we were at AKL, the bus was almost full and standing room only by the time we got on it at Jambo House every single time. I don't know what would happen if someone in a scooter or a wheelchair ever needed to get on at Jambo house because the bus was already full.
We stayed at AKL and there were plenty of scooters that got on. If the bus was full they'd have to get the guests in those seats to move. Though plenty of times the bus stopped at Jambo first, so it wasn't full every time.

We stayed at AKL and there were plenty of scooters that got on. If the bus was full they'd have to get the guests in those seats to move. Though plenty of times the bus stopped at Jambo first, so it wasn't full every time.

I thought park buses stop at Kidani first and Disney Springs stop at Jambo first? Is this not always the case any more? With a 5 year old and twin 2 year olds, plus a double and single stroller, I am concerned about bus space.

I'm leaving the resort today after a split stay this week between CR and AKL Club level. All of the buses I was on stopped at Kidani first. I'm not sure about Disney Springs as we drove there. I would say we had to stand about half of the time. We have stayed at many of the resorts, but this was our first stay at AKL.

If you had a choice between a value studio (DVC - Jambo house) or standard view hotel room, which would you choose? The DVC studio would be a cash rental from Disney. 2 adults, no kids, one bed is fine. Price is about the same. Thanks in advance!

If you had a choice between a value studio (DVC - Jambo house) or standard view hotel room, which would you choose? The DVC studio would be a cash rental from Disney. 2 adults, no kids, one bed is fine. Price is about the same. Thanks in advance!

Are you sure a value studio will be available? My understanding is that there aren't many of them, and members grab them fast when they become available. Members who have AKV as their home resort can book at 11 months out. My apologies if you already knew this, because I realize that I am not answering your question.

Are you sure a value studio will be available? My understanding is that there aren't many of them, and members grab them fast when they become available. Members who have AKV as their home resort can book at 11 months out. My apologies if you already knew this, because I realize that I am not answering your question.

There are DVC villas in Disney's inventory due to the way DVC points are owned partially between individual owners and partially by Disney Vacation Destinations (or something like that, I'm sure I'm missing something) which is how you can rent DVC villas on a cash basis. I actually already booked the DVC studio the other day when I saw it available - I booked with the AP discount for the studio villa. For a few dollars less I can switch to a standard room, which we've stayed in before. I think we'll be happy in either so I'll probably just keep the reservation I have and experience something different. I was just wondering if there were pros and cons I should be aware of that I didn't already know about. I think we would like having the kitchenette and the sofa, but the standard room was also nice for our needs.

But you are right - I have heard the value villas do go fast! I have been considering DVC so maybe I should consider this a research trip and see how I like it. :rolleyes: It's always good to post extra information in case others have a similar question!!

There are DVC villas in Disney's inventory due to the way DVC points are owned partially between individual owners and partially by Disney Vacation Destinations (or something like that, I'm sure I'm missing something) which is how you can rent DVC villas on a cash basis. I actually already booked the DVC studio the other day when I saw it available - I booked with the AP discount for the studio villa. For a few dollars less I can switch to a standard room, which we've stayed in before. I think we'll be happy in either so I'll probably just keep the reservation I have and experience something different. I was just wondering if there were pros and cons I should be aware of that I didn't already know about. I think we would like having the kitchenette and the sofa, but the standard room was also nice for our needs.

But you are right - I have heard the value villas do go fast! I have been considering DVC so maybe I should consider this a research trip and see how I like it. :rolleyes: It's always good to post extra information in case others have a similar question!!

There truly isn't much difference (size wise) between the Value and Standard studios - both have one queen bed and the sofa. The main difference is less storage in the Value.

As an owner, it's nice that the Value costs less points than the Standard! ;) One thing about the Value: you will be either on Ostrich or Giraffe Trail since there are no Values on Kudu or Zebra. For me, that's a plus!! You're never far from the lobby!

Was wondering about the strength of the freezer section of the rooms mini fridge. Can it freeze those reusable gel/ice packs? I usually will take two sets to leave one in the freezer all day while I use the other set in a small lunch cooler.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter