• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Disney's America" theme park? New WDW/DVC possibilities!

DisDaydreamer

I have this DIS-ease
Years ago, Disney was planning to build the "Disney's America" theme park in the northern rural parts of Virginia. Unfortunately, there was so much opposition Disney pulled out. Lots of very rich and enfluential people live in these parts, and they got their way. This was to be a park with a theme based on the heritage of America (U.S.). Seemed to me at the time, and especially more so now, that this would be a blockbuster park. Anyone hear or know of any plans to move forward with anything like this anywhere else? Could set up a whole new realm of possibilities for WDW type of DVC resorts! maybe I am dreaming again, but I can wish, can't I? :artist: Tink10, can't you conjure up something?

DisDaydreamer said:
Years ago, Disney was planning to build the "Disney's America" theme park in the northern rural parts of Virginia. Unfortunately, there was so much opposition Disney pulled out. Lots of very rich and enfluential people live in these parts, and they got their way. - snip -

Unfortunately, Disney's America is probably on that shelf at Imagineering where concepts go to die.(or at least hibernate) :sad2:

But, they could go to that same shelf and resurrect, :idea:
The Mineral King (CA) Resort, from the Summer 1969 Disney News:

14664MinKing1.jpg

"Focal point in Walt Disney Productions’ master plan for the development of Mineral King is this completely contained village nestled in an Alpine setting."

14664MinKing2.jpg

"The Disney organization provides complete elimination of the visitor automobile from the valley floor. A sub-level parking facility puts visitor vehicles under cover, while conforming strictly to the natural contours of the terrain. Mineral King is scheduled to open in Winter, 1973."

Read the whole article here:
http://bears.windowtothemagic.com/bears/mineral_king.html

Just imagine, schussing mit Mickey!! :thumbsup2

Ooohhh!! Can THAT be the next DVC?!!!

For a brief time there was a rumor that Disney would try to build the Disney's America park in Katy, Texas near Houston. I guess the company decided that the concept was too embarrasing to pursue after what happened in Virginia. It's possible that some of the rides and attractions planned for Disney's America will find themselves included at the already established parks.

My dream would be for Disney's America to be built near St. Louis. I heard that Walt Disney proposed building a park near St. Louis but changed his mind after an argument with Mr Busch. Anyone else hear this rumor?

I vaguely remember the park in Virginia plans, gosh that was a long time ago!
A lot of the Historic organizations were against it, thinking no one would go see the actual historic sites and alot of locals didn't want to see the Orlando type traffic. I think the area was around the Bull Run battleground.

I think it's highly unlikely Disney with the new CEO would be looking at a new park outside of Orlando or Anaheim. I live an hour away from Cedar Point, they have had attendance problems. They have a short season and this summer it was either too rainy or too hot.

Driver that took us from the DVC tour to AK, told us the rumor he hears the most is a "Harry Potter" themed park is next in Orlando. He found it out of left field, as he thought a park based on the Pixar characters would be more in line for Disney.

I vaguely remember the park in Virginia plans, gosh that was a long time ago!
A lot of the Historic organizations were against it, thinking no one would go see the actual historic sites and alot of locals didn't want to see the Orlando type traffic. I think the area was around the Bull Run battleground.

I think it's highly unlikely Disney with the new CEO would be looking at a new park outside of Orlando or Anaheim. I live an hour away from Cedar Point, they have had attendance problems. They have a short season and this summer it was either too rainy or too hot.

Driver that took us from the DVC tour to AK, told us the rumor he hears the most is a "Harry Potter" themed park is next in Orlando. He found it out of left field, as he thought a park based on the Pixar characters would be more in line for Disney.

It was actually going to be built ON the Bull Run Battlefield which is why many people (including me) were totally against it. Dumb dumb dumb idea.

I would think Disney would add another theme park in Orlando before spending millions in another state - especially with all of that already owned land available.

It was on the Bull Run battlesite? Geez, I would have been against it too!

They still have plenty of acres in Orlando to build, saw that on one of those WDW shows on Travel Channel.

We were living in VA at the time of the controversy. I have always hoped that they would build it as a 5th gate at WDW. I think the America theme would go over pretty well. I think an all Pixar or all villians or all thrill rides park would be too much of the same. You can have thrills, villians and Pixar in EVERY park and still have lots of other stuff too!

I think they are focusing on International expansion. I wouldn't be surprised if the next park is outside of Rio.

Last summer, hubby went to a local fair outside Chicago,and was told by the fairgound operator / owner, that Disney was going to build something outside Chicago.

Said it was in several of the trade rags, but I don't read that stuff....

I haven't heard anyone else say anything else about it, so I guess time will tell.

At any rate, the owner said he was picking his 2008 locations so that he wouldn't be around Disney (didn't want the competition).

Anyone else hear anything? I'm wondering if he was just pulling our legs.

Goldi

We also lived in that area of VA then (early 90's) and was glad it was ko'd. It wasn't just influential people who were against it----everyone was (even a Disney lover). It really didn't fit the area. However, they say good Disney ideas never die, just get resurrected somewhere else and I would love to see it added to WDW.

Last summer, hubby went to a local fair outside Chicago,and was told by the fairgound operator / owner, that Disney was going to build something outside Chicago.

I haven't heard anyone else say anything else about it, so I guess time will tell.

At any rate, the owner said he was picking his 2008 locations so that he wouldn't be around Disney (didn't want the competition).

Goldi

My town is right at the intersection of I-75 & I-80&90. When they put in an interchange off the turnpike(80/90) in the early 90's all the land prices went through the roof. Talk of Disney was heard and here we are in 2006 and were getting a Bass Pro Shops to go along with all the Big Box retailers. The big talk of Disney lead to nothing.

We also lived in that area of VA then (early 90's) and was glad it was ko'd. It wasn't just influential people who were against it----everyone was (even a Disney lover). It really didn't fit the area. However, they say good Disney ideas never die, just get resurrected somewhere else and I would love to see it added to WDW.

WOW... never had a thread ressurected like this. I have to say though, at the time I was very involved in saving historical sites and promoting the history of Virginia. I do not believe the site would have encompassed the actual battlefields, and I do believe that it is the elite landowners that got this project rejected. I too was looking for a 5th gate, and I think Disney America would have been a wonderful reflection of Virginia and the USA. Oh well... water way under the bridge.

Goldi

Toooo cold outside Chicago.

We're 20 degrees above normal...

With Global warming, the temps in Illinois have been improving (about 1 or 2 temperature zones).

Goldi

It was actually going to be built ON the Bull Run Battlefield which is why many people (including me) were totally against it. Dumb dumb dumb idea.

You are mistaken about the location of the site for Disney's America. The Walt Disney Company did not propose a theme park "ON the Bull Run Battlefield."

The battlefield where the Battles of First and Second Manassas (also called Bull Run) were fought are protected by the National Park Service. It's called Manassas National Battlefield Park.

The site for Disney's America in Haymarket, Virginia, would have been located 3.5 miles from the Manassas National Battlefield Park. The Disney site did not have historic significance, and no knowledgeable person claimed that it did. The concern was not that Disney was actually planning to build on a battlefield or other historic site, but that Disney's project would lead to urban sprawl and more traffic in the area.

A coalition of local landed gentry and national historians opposed Disney's America. When Disney had enough of the bad publicity, Disney gave up on the site.

Urban sprawl and more traffic came to the area anyway.

For a map with the location of the planned Disney site, see http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/mana/map3.jpg

For information about Manassas National Battlefield Park, see http://www.nps.gov/mana/

You are mistaken about the location of the site for Disney's America. The Walt Disney Company did not propose a theme park "ON the Bull Run Battlefield."

The battlefield where the Battles of First and Second Manassas (also called Bull Run) were fought are protected by the National Park Service. It's called Manassas National Battlefield Park.

The site for Disney's America in Haymarket, Virginia, would have been located 3.5 miles from the Manassas National Battlefield Park. The Disney site did not have historic significance, and no knowledgeable person claimed that it did. The concern was not that Disney was actually planning to build on a battlefield or other historic site, but that Disney's project would lead to urban sprawl and more traffic in the area.

A coalition of local landed gentry and national historians opposed Disney's America. When Disney had enough of the bad publicity, Disney gave up on the site.

Urban sprawl and more traffic came to the area anyway.

For a map with the location of the planned Disney site, see http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/mana/map3.jpg

For information about Manassas National Battlefield Park, see http://www.nps.gov/mana/

3.5 miles away is close enough for me to be called ON - sorry but American History has been butchered enough that we did not need a Disney-fied version of Schoolhouse Rock history made into a theme park.

Disney needs to stick to what it does best which is entertaining and stay out of American History (and yes I loathe the Hall of Presidents and wish they would turn it into something more realistic like Mr Toades Wild Ride.)

3.5 miles away is close enough for me to be called ON - sorry but American History has been butchered enough that we did not need a Disney-fied version of Schoolhouse Rock history made into a theme park.

Disney needs to stick to what it does best which is entertaining and stay out of American History (and yes I loathe the Hall of Presidents and wish they would turn it into something more realistic like Mr Toades Wild Ride.)
Just because you consider a site 3.5 miles away from a historic battlefield to be "ON" the battlefield does not change the fact that you made a statement that was just plain false. You wrote that the park was "actually going to be built ON the Bull Run Battlefield" -- and that's simply not true.

If your real objection is that you don't like how Disney deals with American history, then that's what you should have written in the first place.

Just because you consider a site 3.5 miles away from a historic battlefield to be "ON" the battlefield does not change the fact that you made a statement that was just plain false. You wrote that the park was "actually going to be built ON the Bull Run Battlefield" -- and that's simply not true.

If your real objection is that you don't like how Disney deals with American history, then that's what you should have written in the first place.

I am not going to quibble with you over a few miles and what land is historic and what isn't because it is immaterial...the land which Disney planned to build was historic and part of a battlefield as a whole - because the national park ends 3.5 miles away is immaterial.

The theme in which they wanted to build on was plain wrong for the area in which they wanted to build it. And to top it off Disney does not need to be making American History into cutesy rides - stick to what they do best and they win.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter