DisneylandForward - 3rd Gate 2024

Chili327

DIS Veteran
There seems to be a lot of ideas and miscommunication in other threads so I wanted to start fresh and stop corrupting a VGC thread. :)

My thoughts are that DCA & DLR expansions will be west of each park (not a 3rd gate west of parks).

A new parking garage across harbor will be first to allow people to still park when they start ripping up the west side lots.
Hollywood backlot will get some serious work, but not much relation to DLF.

Then (this may be where the fork in the road is) Disney purchases Gardenwalk, and builds a 3rd park in the Toy Story lot.

So GardenWalk connects the 3rd gate to the new parking structure and the parking structure connect to all 3 parks and “Disneys GardenWalk”. ;)
(I’m hoping a skyliner or something cool to help, but that’s just blue sky)

1716781905943.jpeg

I’ve posted this playlist multiple times, but (to me) it makes the most sense, so I’m wondering if there is info out there that I’m not aware of that makes this less likely, or if I’m the only one that watches Hey Brickey and I have some “insider” info. lol

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9vdBkUWCwJ48LgsW8BEVXU2r55Zz3YWG&si=eEeUvfx3NIvFhV4V

DLF-Map.png

Last edited:
so I’m wondering if there is info out there that I’m not aware of that makes this less likely, or if I’m the only one that watches Hey Brickey and I have some “insider” info. lol

The company has indicated several times to the city they are considering turning the Toy Story lot into a retail, accommodations and dining complex. That's I guess the biggest kink in the whole theory.

However - I just wanted to address the resort is currently in a parking deficit. The Eastern Gateway "fixes it". But then Disney is subsequently eliminating three large surface lots. They'll potentially be back into a deficit when Disneyland Forward is fully built out.

Any major development leading to a third gate would require its own third massive parking garage - there's very little space left over for that - and they wouldn't want to pass up on another large hotel development to boot.

You can even see on their proposed build out two further parking garages on the Toy Story lot.

The company has indicated several times to the city they are considering turning the Toy Story lot into a retail, accommodations and dining complex. That's I guess the biggest kink in the whole theory.
You don't think this is just playing monopoly to make the owners of Gardenwalk want to sell for cheaper than if they knew Disney was going to build a theme park next door? Gardenwalk is struggling already, how much worse could it get if they thought there was going to be a Disney Springs next door. lol

However - I just wanted to address the resort is currently in a parking deficit. The Eastern Gateway "fixes it". But then Disney is subsequently eliminating three large surface lots. They'll potentially be back into a deficit when Disneyland Forward is fully built out.

Any major development leading to a third gate would require its own third massive parking garage - there's very little space left over for that - and they wouldn't want to pass up on another large hotel development to boot.
This may ne the part I'm not getting, i guess i didn't know there was a deficit already, where do people park when the lot of overflowing? Do they send them to Anaheim stadium and shuttle them back, or do people just have to scramble?

I think the new lot more than covers a 3rd park if the current one covers 2 parks. The new massive structure has to be like 10x the 3 surface lots (or more), so i think it's fine, but i have zero numbers to back that up.

You can even see on their proposed build out two further parking garages on the Toy Story lot.
Refer back to the top of this reply, That's just a ruse to make Gardenwalk sweat.

If that is the case, Garden Walk should just build a giant parking structure of their own and undercut Disney's parking fees. :car::drive:
They wouldn't be wrong for doing so & maybe that is the hand they are playing. Although i believe that lot is zoned for timeshare already, so that could play into the game.

*edit*
And if parking is really in deficit, that could end up being part of the plan, since Gardenwalk has a good size parking structure already.

This one talks about Gardenwalk.

Last edited:
Any reason you didn't include "theme park"in that list? Disney has that possibility in their plans, and I'd lay a medium-sized bet that it will happen.

View attachment 863491
https://www.disneylandforward.com/possibilities
As I understand it, the biggest barrier to that is the residential buildings bordering the TS lot and the corresponding noise ordinances requiring easements, which would diminish the area available for theme park use.

Unless Disney buys up those apartments, I doubt we'll see a third gate there.

As I understand it, the biggest barrier to that is the residential buildings bordering the TS lot and the corresponding noise ordinances requiring easements, which would diminish the area available for theme park use.

Apartments on the east side and south side too. Lots of encroachment. Same reason why the footprint of the entertainment complex has a setback Too.

Apartments on the east side and south side too. Lots of encroachment. Same reason why the footprint of the entertainment complex has a setback Too.
Yea, I'm not sure what the distance is/needs to be, but if they have 74 acres, Is there no room for a buffer... 20 acres wouldn't be enough?
(and they very well could acquire some of the properties surrounding it, which would only add to the 74ac) There will be backstage areas that can be much quieter too.

I'm still sold on the idea, it makes too much sense to do, where as everything else makes much less sense, but i understand sense doesn't always matter when it comes to logistics, & politics, so obviously i can be wrong, but i would definitely bet on it being a 3rd park, everything else is a waste of a 75 acre lot.

Last edited:
Refer back to the top of this reply, That's just a ruse to make Gardenwalk sweat.

Disney has twice passed up opportunities to purchase Garden Walk.

Any reason you didn't include "theme park"in that list? Disney has that possibility in their plans, and I'd lay a medium-sized bet that it will happen.

View attachment 863491
https://www.disneylandforward.com/possibilities

Commentary from the top brass, insiders, what they actually said in the Anaheim planning meetings. I did mention a water park when I carried over this conversation. I’d be very surprised if the company turned down an accommodation complex. So that would need to go somewhere. It’s theoretically possible the company could build a park here, I guess, but there would be significant downscaling of the potential DCA/DL expansions. At the very minimum for another hotel complex.

We’ll find out soon enough, I think this lot will be an earlier development. It’s a bit useless as merely a surface lot after the Eastern Gateway.

It’s theoretically possible the company could build a park here, I guess, but there would be significant downscaling of the potential DCA/DL expansions. At the very minimum for another hotel complex.
Why would the expansions have to suffer?

Why would the expansions have to suffer?

Where would a new hotel complex go? Not suffer so much as an expected trade off.

An X factor would be more land acquisition, but it’s only their current property boundaries that are still approved for way more keys than they’ve built.

Where would a new hotel complex go? Not suffer so much as an expected trade off.
I think a new hotel depends on if they acquire GardenWalk which is zoned (or permitted) for timeshare already.
If they don’t then I’d bet they would build something on the edge of the park for direct access, which is the new hot thing to do, even though Grand Cal has had it.

An X factor would be more land acquisition, but it’s only their current property boundaries that are still approved for way more keys than they’ve built.
Yes that definitely could be an “Ace in the hole” which we won’t know until it’s that time. But if there is more property to gain that can change everything.

Disney spent three years on the current narrative which has no mention of 3rd gate. I doubt they will do anything close until disney forward is well into its development
Oh definitely not part of the $1.9b for this decade. Just speculation on the best way to use 75 acres, a block away from your theme parks. And even closer to a new parking structure.

Oh definitely not part of the $1.9b for this decade. Just speculation on the best way to use 75 acres, a block away from your theme parks. And even closer to a new parking structure.
Agreed. They'll reassess based on several factors:

How well Gardenview works
How well Honda center develops
If alt transport gets proposed and approved (skyliner).

If skyliner is approved, I can very much see a serious attempt to consider 3rd gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter