Disneyland resort area hotels and wifi

mystic_path

DIS Veteran
Has anyone here ever traveled with their laptops? I recently purchased my first laptop and I am hoping to bring it with me during my next trip to Disneyland to keep in touch with my family. However I know that most laptops (Including mine) have a built in wifi chip which will pick up wifi signals in the area. My hotel I am staying at when I go to Disneyland is the Tropicana inn & Suites. They offer internet wifi for $9.00 a day which is fine, but does anyone know if I need to find a roaming package first before I leave? Or does the wifi and roaming charges become included in the $9.00? I am just assuming the hotel will give me a password to log onto the internet, and I will be billed for my usage. Its just that some websites are telling me that I need to contact a cell phone provider and ask about roaming packages. But this makes no sense to me unless you are trying to log onto the internet on your cell phone.

So I am just wondering how other Disneyland travelers manage with their laptops at their hotels.

We stayed at the BWPPI and had WiFi. We just used the password they gave us and we had the internet. It was kinda slow, but it was free, so I wasn't going to complain!

You only need an adapter from a wireless carrier(cell phone comp) if you want to access the Internet without WiFi. So, say in the Disneyland parks or in the car. At a hotel that provides WiFi, you'll connect to their network and then it will most likely prompt you in an Internet window (most automatically pop-up) to put in a password and agree to their terms of service. I have no experience with the Tropicana so I don't know how well the signal will be for you, but if it's too low and you can't connect, you could go to their lobby and request a refund of the daily fee.

We stayed at the BWPPI and had WiFi. We just used the password they gave us and we had the internet. It was kinda slow, but it was free, so I wasn't going to complain!

Great! I didn't know they offered it for free. My mom will like that, cheaper to send e-mails than calling.

I have traveled all over the world with either an iPhone, iPad or laptop and never had a problem picking up hotel wifi with the built in chip. You can purchase a wifi hotspot from your cell provider for an xtra monthly charge.
DLR does not offer wifi outside of the resort hotels, I would not pay for wifi but that is your choice. Good luck.

Jack

Do guests at the Grand California/Villas at the Grand Californian get free internet access in their rooms? Is it wireless? I know WDW just started providing free Wifi. Just checking on the DLR.

Most of the hotels I've stayed at in Anaheim area have a fairly slow Internet connection. Consider this, most people are surfing the web in the late evening or early morning to check emails & update their Facebook status. My experience afternoon is better to do these things. Like other people have mentioned my iphone is almost better at times doing the little things I need to check rather than my Laptop. Hope this helps. The worst Internet connection I've had in the Disney area was the PPH? Oh well, sure glad I had my iphone!*

Do guests at the Grand California/Villas at the Grand Californian get free internet access in their rooms? Is it wireless? I know WDW just started providing free Wifi. Just checking on the DLR.

I would say yes. I've been able to access wifi at both the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian Hotel from my room when I stayed there, and also from the lobby areas when I haven't stayed there, but have gone to eat there.

You can get wired or wifi, never had a problem with either but I have not stayed at PP so do not know with that place how fast their wifi is.

Jack

$9 a night... wowie.. that's so expensive!! Thankfully Motel6 is only around $2 a night and they aren't really strict about charging it. They just give me the log in code and the connectivity is comparable to what I find with my home office connection.

$9 a night... wowie.. that's so expensive!! Thankfully Motel6 is only around $2 a night and they aren't really strict about charging it. They just give me the log in code and the connectivity is comparable to what I find with my home office connection.

I know. That's why we hated it when up until last year WDW hotels charged $10/day for wired internet.

Thank you sooo much everyone! You put my mind at ease. Thank you for clarifying. I will take the advice and use the internet when i go back to the room in the afternoon to check my emails. I don't want to use my phone because roaming charges can be stupid crazy expensive if you don't have a roaming package for your phone prior to the trip. PLUS my family can use the internet as well to check in with whoever they need to. We can split the cost of internet and will make keeping in touch very cheap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter