Disneyland in the Rain ... what might be closed?

We'll be there with you guys in the rain! Last year we had one rainy day. It started off just drizzles and then eventually downpoured. We covered up with ponchos and were able to go on tons of rides with no wait: Tea cups, Dumbo (not so fun in a lot of rain, stings your face LOL), IASM, BTMR, Peter Pan, most of the dark rides in that area too. I don't recall anything being closed but we were only in one area of DL during that timeframe. We had a 5 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old in tow so after a handful of rides they started hitting meltdown point so we headed out. Overall, it wasn't bad. We're planning to bring extra socks, shoes, ponchos, towels, etc and just make the best of it.

jmac323 said:
We'll be there with you guys in the rain! Last year we had one rainy day. It started off just drizzles and then eventually downpoured. We covered up with ponchos and were able to go on tons of rides with no wait: Tea cups, Dumbo (not so fun in a lot of rain, stings your face LOL), IASM, BTMR, Peter Pan, most of the dark rides in that area too. I don't recall anything being closed but we were only in one area of DL during that timeframe. We had a 5 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old in tow so after a handful of rides they started hitting meltdown point so we headed out. Overall, it wasn't bad. We're planning to bring extra socks, shoes, ponchos, towels, etc and just make the best of it.

Interesting. Teacups is one that you can expect to close in the rain. the area between the teacups on which guests have to walk can get way too slippery.

- Dreams

when we went in 2005 it poured with rain for two days of our three, the teacups were definately closed. But my kids went on california screaming 10 times in a row there were no lines for any rides

I loved our rainy Spring Break trip! We were able to get on everything with few rides. The only thing I remember being closed was Tea Cups. We also had light rain for one October morning this year, and again, Tea Cups were closed. So pack some ponchos and take advantage of it!

We had some rain in Dec.
Tea cups were closed and so was Alice in Wonderland ride

Interesting. Teacups is one that you can expect to close in the rain. the area between the teacups on which guests have to walk can get way too slippery.

- Dreams

It was drizzling when we were on the teacups. It may very well have closed afterwards though when it started to really come down. I'm not sure as we had moved on.

When we have gone in the rain, we experienced no fast passes and the lines were just like the old days where you wait on the inside...where possible. not that we waited long as the park was very empty.:cool1:

Thanks for the responses everyone! I figured the rainy forecast might keep some of the locals away, so that will help with wait times.

How about World of Color. Is that a rain or shine show? And the fireworks ... has anyone watched the fireworks in the rain?

jmac323 said:
It was drizzling when we were on the teacups. It may very well have closed afterwards though when it started to really come down. I'm not sure as we had moved on.

That makes perfect sense. :)

ValpoCory said:
Thanks for the responses everyone! I figured the rainy forecast might keep some of the locals away, so that will help with wait times.

How about World of Color. Is that a rain or shine show? And the fireworks ... has anyone watched the fireworks in the rain?

WoC is rain or shine, as are fireworks. Lightening is the issue that can cancel either of those, as well as varying degrees of wind.

- Dreams

When I went in early December, it POURED. The only thing that closed (that I noticed) was Storybook Land. We were the last boat to get to go through and we got drenched. I love Disneyland in the rain because it seems like the locals stay away and the park is less crowded. The only bad thing is that it also rained pretty hard while I was having my engagement photos taken at the parks... not so good for lighting.

- Dreams

Yep.

I went on Grizzly in the rain (at night!) and it was still awesome. :) I have avoided Screamin' in the rain since it was described to me as feeling like you have needles in your face during the takeoff.

*Most* everything is still open, so grab a poncho and a few pairs of clean dry socks to change into, and have FUN!

I will admit that the early December pouring got a bit old, but that was mainly because of the *cold*, not necessarily the rain.

As someone used to hiking in the rain, I'd recommend coming prepared with something that isn't cotton. I know most people will use umbrellas and ponchos, but it's impossible to stay bone dry, and synthetics (maybe even cotton/poly blend) or wool will dry faster and keep you warmer when it's wet.

Most people probably have some "technical" clothing these days. Under Armour popularized it, but I've even seen synthetic active clothing sold at DL.

Last April they canceled fireworks due to the wind, modified F! due to rain earlier in the day,cancelled fireworks again because it rained earlier in the day ( I was told they pack the fireworks during the day and can't do in the rain) and WOC was modified on windy day ( no awesome fire burst).
On a side note we had the park to ourselves :) WOC was empty!!!

Rain doesn't keep the locals away at all, it's the "non-busy" times that you need to look for. Last week of January isn't too bad; there aren't any holidays (like there is tomorrow).

I remember the tea cups and Alice in Wonderland being closed due to rain before; nothing else. Just remember to get ponchos, those are great! And they keep you warm in the rain too (like a sauna effect) :rotfl2:

I love Splash Mountain in the rain. You're already wet, so it doesn't matter how splashed you get. We p

I love Splash Mountain in the rain. You're already wet, so it doesn't matter how splashed you get. We p

That makes sense but SM goes down Tues and GRR is already down.

We will be there til Sun. May have rain then. Thx for the Thread I forgot to pack our rain pants. NW and all we have good rain gear.

Teacups, Alice in wonderland, Matterhorn (depending I. How much rain). Story Book land Canal Boats, Dumbo, Mark Twain, Sailing Ship Columbia. In the event of lightening. Splash and IASW.

All of Carsland has the potential to shutdown with enough rain. Same with Bugsland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter