• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland - Bad Bus Experience & Extremely Positive Service Animal Experience

Evita_W

DIS Veteran
Thanks to a friend that works at the park that had extra tickets because she had to work during the CM soft opening dates and was able to get us reservations, we went to Disneyland on Saturday, which was indeed it's birthday.

Our party consisted of DH and I, both using ECVs, a friend with a service animal, who also used an ECV and our friend that got us the tickets. I used a park rental, which are newer and slightly better than the old ones, at least in design, but really are poorly assembled pieces of junk. Based on this I would recommend avoiding Scooterbug at all costs.

We arrive at the Toy Story lot at about 7 AM, first the not so good part, they have new buses that from an access view point we're very poorly designed, they put the ECV/wheelchair spots at the front of the bus directly across from each other and barely long enough for a victory 10. A Maxima would not be able to fit and do not try to actually put two ECVs on at once, you will have to out one in neutral and push it off and that is if you are lucky enough to have enough strength to pick up part and move it.

Amazingly, we lasted long enough for the fireworks, something that never happens with our group when we get to a park that early.

So, we decided to go ahead and go in. Historically, we have had issues with people stepping on the service animal; however, we positioned him between two of the scooters and positioned the scooters in a way to provide the barrier he normally would provide. And the person not in the ECV stood behind in such a way to assist with this as well.

This worked really well for the fireworks and prevented all issues during the fireworks. The trick was after the fireworks. DH pulled his scooter in front of me and the person with the service dog, so he was also protecting the service dog. Please note that his was purchased from Gold Mobility, so it is Red with the Yellow Reflective stickers, as well as the undercarriage lights, so it was extremely visible.

About 2 minutes after he did that, a CM came and asked if we needed any assistance getting anywhere and we told him we simply pulled in this way to protect the service animal while others left and he said no problem, he just wanted to make sure the service animal remained safe and then pulled another CM over to direct traffic around us specifically. This CM was also great with the service animal until it was safe for us all to be able to move with his assistance. None of us (including the person that works at the park) had ever seen something like this before and we all have seen many CMs go way above and beyond before.

We so often hear a lot of the negative and I do mention the bad side here, but more to forewarn people so that they don't have the same issues we had on the bus. DH ended up driving his ECV back to the Toy Story lot rather than deal with the bus again. He said next time, if he has to pay for parking anyway, he would likely park at one of the hotels across Harbor that are selling all day parking for the same price as Disneyland parking and would be closer.

The positive we experienced way outweighed this minor negative though.

And on a side note, Paradise Garden Grill at DCA has an Impossible Cheese burger Mac & Cheese that is incredible. Just know that for some you will want more than one....lol. and we are in no way vegans or even vegetarians. Do note that it is still unclear to us if the cheese was vegan or not, so if that matters to you, do ask, as it didn't matter to us, the other two in our party doesn't eat beef or pork, so this fit the bill. In fact all of the plant based dishes we had on Saturday were delicious.

that’s great you had such an awesome service animal experience! Thank you for sharing a positive story :) (even if the ECV experience left something to be desired)

that’s great you had such an awesome service animal experience! Thank you for sharing a positive story :) (even if the ECV experience left something to be desired)
Yeah, they definitely went above and beyond. I mostly mentioned the ECV issue so people know that if they are bringing one to Disneyland, they should not park in the Toy Story lot. Either use the parking structure (just make sure you bring your charger with you due to the extra distance since there is no transportation) or park at one of the hotels across Harbor that offers theme park parking for the same price as what Disney charges.

Are those ECVs within the size limit for transportation?
Absolutely, a gogo sport and a victory 10.2 are both well within Disney's size limits. Yeah, even a GoGo sport has a difficult time getting in and out.

A Maxima would be completely incapable of fitting on these buses, but is also well within Disney's size limits.

Front entry buses are pretty standard for public transportation because in urban environment, people riding the bus pay at the front.
WDW buses board at the rear because it’s easier to load and they don’t have to collect any fares.

It’s nice to hear your good service dog experience. I think we will still leave ours home. The potty issues while we fly for 12 hours. 3 kids and dealing with the animal that seems as needy as our kids in some ways. I don’t think all the extra work is worth the benefits to our kids. 🤦‍♀️

Front entry buses are pretty standard for public transportation because in urban environment, people riding the bus pay at the front.
WDW buses board at the rear because it’s easier to load and they don’t have to collect any fares.
Well, before COVID they had buses that boarded in the rear and a few could also load and unload in the front, those were great, as you enter the rear, face forward and getting off was super easy.

The new ones are the worst I have ever seen, we have used the public transit in Orlando to get to SeaWorld and that was with two Maximas and it worked ok, although the double long buses were a lot easier.

On these new buses for Toy Story (which also don't collect fair), the spots are right at the font and maybe 1/2" longer than a victory 10.2 long, directly across from each other with an aisle width of maybe 34" up to the end of these spaces, beyond there, drops to about a 24" wide aisle and you are supposed to magically be able to turn around to face forward. I have no idea how you could turn around any ECV.

I wish we would have taken pictures, words cannot describe how bad these are.

It’s nice to hear your good service dog experience. I think we will still leave ours home. The potty issues while we fly for 12 hours. 3 kids and dealing with the animal that seems as needy as our kids in some ways. I don’t think all the extra work is worth the benefits to our kids. 🤦‍♀️
Ultimately only you know your situation and can decide what is right for you. Just figured we need to out the positive out there as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter