Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Weekend ** September 2-4, 2011 ** Check-In

The DL Half was my first half last year and I will be back this year :) I am actually running in the Princess Half at WDW next month so I can get the Coast to Coast medal as well. Good luck with the 5k! The Disney races are amazing and so encouraging :cheer2:

How exciting! My DH and I just completed the WDW half marathon last weekend, and we are heading out for Disneyland half in Sept so we can get our Coast to Coast medal as well. We opted out of doing the WDW Princess half, as we just did the half this past weekend, and we are saving the $$$ from the Princess to head out to DL. Good luck!

Good luck to you! Be sure to check out www.rundisney.com and www.jeffgalloway.com regarding the training plans and also other tips to completeing your first.

I will have to check these 2 out! I just found a program that I am hoping will get me ready to run the whole 5K (well, I admit I will stop for photos) and then I'll start prepping for the 1/2 next year. It's called Couch-to-5K and it seems easy enough so far. I just finished my 2nd workout of week 1!

I'm so excited! We just completed our very first half marathon on Jan 8th at WDW. We decided we are heading to Disneyland to do the half in Sept. I just booked our room at the HoJo Plaza after reading so many great reviews about the hotel on DISboards. We originally were going to stay on property, but with flights, rental car, trying to save some $$$ on the hotel. We may decide to do the 5k as well...because we are out there. I never thought I could ever do a half. I am proud to say, that while my time wasn't great, I finished, felt great, and can't wait to do another. I walked more than 1/2 of it. It was an amazing experience and accomplishment!

I will have to check these 2 out! I just found a program that I am hoping will get me ready to run the whole 5K (well, I admit I will stop for photos) and then I'll start prepping for the 1/2 next year. It's called Couch-to-5K and it seems easy enough so far. I just finished my 2nd workout of week 1!

Good luck with C25K. I always get through to about week 7 and can't seem to break through. I much prefer the run-walk-run method that Jeff Galloway talks and trains. I haven't gotten hurt since starting that, where with C25K I have ended with shin splints, knee pain, etc. I have suffered with knee injury and surgery while in high school/college so the run-walk-run works much better for me. I envy people that can run 3 miles without walking. I can do about 1.5 miles. My DH actually can run about 6 miles wthout a walk break, but has actually taken 2 minutes off his 5k by throwing short walk breaks into his run. We love the Galloway method. We have met him and talked with him at the WDW expos...can't wait to see him at Disneyland!

Thanks. So far starting off well. I'm doing doubles of each week since I have until September and I want to ease into this as much as possible. So this is my 2nd week of Week 1 :rotfl:

Has anyone else signed up yet? I'm turning this into a check in for us, so speak up if you'll be there!!

DH and I will be signing up soon for the DL half. We did the WDW half earlier this month. It was my third half there and his second. We will be married 35 years in July, so the trip to DL is going to double as our anniversary celebration. We actually stayed at the DL hotel for two nights on our honeymoon, so I booked a room there for us using our DVC points. I thought it would be fun to relive our honeymoon experience. ;)

DH and I will be signing up soon for the DL half. We did the WDW half earlier this month. It was my third half there and his second. We will be married 35 years in July, so the trip to DL is going to double as our anniversary celebration. We actually stayed at the DL hotel for two nights on our honeymoon, so I booked a room there for us using our DVC points. I thought it would be fun to relive our honeymoon experience. ;)

Aw, that sounds so wonderful!

Question: were either of you runners before you did your first 1/2? I'm nervous about it, lol. Mind you, I'm not doing the 1/2 this year but the 5K and thinking about doing the 1/2 next year. I'm so nervous bout whether or not I can actually do it.

I love the Disneyland 1/2! It was the first half marathon I'd ever run. This year will be my 4th time running it. The first time I did it by myself, but now it's quickly becoming a family tradition with my Dad and sister participating with me. My sis has bad knees and can't run the whole time, so she does a walk/run combo. But as fast as that woman can walk, she beats some of the runners!

I've done a few different 1/2's now (Surf City 1/2 in just over a week!), but Disneyland is my favorite! It's very well organized, with the runners grouped by how fast they are. This lets all the serious runners go first, so the rest of us have a more relaxed, less competitive atmosphere to go your own pace and not worry about getting run over. :thumbsup2 There are lots of photo ops with characters while we're running through the park, so you may want to bring a small camera you can carry easily. A lot of the runners dress up, which is always fun to see. Every half mile or so along the course outside the parks there are bands, dance troupes, cheerleaders, and scouts to cheer us along. :banana: Plus we get to run through Angels' Stadium, which is a total hoot! Running (or walking) 13.1 is not going to be easy, but at least Disneyland makes it as fun as possible!

Bella Elle : Personally, I was VERY nervous. But I had jumped into doing 1/2's, had never done the shorter distances, which was kinda dumb of me. :laughing: You're doing it right by starting with a 5k. Keep up the training, and as your mileage steadily increases, your confidence will too. :cheer2: You can do it!

My friend and I are heading out to WDW next month to run the princess 1/2 marathon (my first) and then we're planning to do the DL 1/2 so we can get our coast to coast medals! She lives on the East Coast and I live in CA so it's kind of fun to get together twice this year! I just wish my DL AP wasn't blocked out labor day weekend. Not sure quite what to do about that problem!

Just booked our rooms this morning and will be signing up shortly. Did the half last year as my 2nd one ever, first was Seattle half in November, and have done one since.

It does become addicting as I am now doing the Napa full marathon in about a month and then Whidbey Island Marathon a month after that.

Good luck to everyone no matter your distance. Disney makes the races so much fun and you almost, ALMOST, forget that you are running at all.

Aw, that sounds so wonderful!

Question: were either of you runners before you did your first 1/2? I'm nervous about it, lol. Mind you, I'm not doing the 1/2 this year but the 5K and thinking about doing the 1/2 next year. I'm so nervous bout whether or not I can actually do it.

No, neither one of us were runners. I was asked by a woman at my church if I would do the WDW half with her because she didn't want to do it by herself. I had been a walker for many years, and had done one 5K prior to that, but the 5K had no time restriction. Like kolohe_lady's sister, I also have bad knees, so in order to make the 16:00/mile requirement, I walk and I jog. I call it "wogging."

DH had not been a runner either, but after I did the first half at WDW, he admitted to being a bit jealous and decided to go for it in 2009.

As far as nerves go, I was only a bit nervous on race day. I told my friend that we had trained for it, and now we just had to get out there and do our best. I'm sure you will be fine.

I just signed up for the DL 1/2! :cool1: Last year was my first year running and my first race ever. I was not a runner either but I followed an online 12-week training program and it worked out great.

I just need to book my hotel and I'm set. Think about Paradise Pier. I've never stayed onsite before. :goodvibes

I thought I would post a few pics from the 1/2 last year.
September2010095.jpg
September2010086.jpg
My friend and I getting ready to start
September2010102.jpg
September2010147.jpg
Running through Angels stadium
September2010159.jpg
September2010162-1.jpg

Bella you are going to have so much fun in the 5k!! I've done the 5k and 1/2 the past 4 years and am going back down for this year's!

It's awesome, b/c you start in the Mickey parking lot, follow the tram route into DL and then over to DCA. Last year we finished in DCA over by the new Memaid ride. You get to go all over backstage in DL and parts in DCA too. The 5k course has kept changing over the past 2 years b/c of all the construction, but it's still a ton of fun. Plus, you get your picture taken as you run through the castle.

Registered for the 1/2 already, just going back and forth on the 5k for this year. I can't make up my mind!

Also for anyone who wants to, there is thread started in the WISH section for race weekend. We just talk about the race, how training is going and any type of questions you have. Everyone should come over!! Here's the link:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2630422

I can't wait for September. It's going to be so much fun!!

Hi all

I've been posting over on the WISH section but decided to post here as well. I am currently "planning" on doing the Disneyland 1/2. It is going to be my first trip to California and Disneyland. I've been to the Florida Parks frequently, but I know I'm going to have tons of question before it's all done. Right now, the plan is a 10 night trip (Sept 3-13th I think) with 6 nights onsite and 4 nights somewhere else. I'm a DVC member and I'm hoping to get into VGC. I've read that studios are sold out for race weekend. I have a backup reservation for Saturday and Sunday night at the Travelodge near the corner of Ball Rd and Disneyland Way in case I can't get anything onsite. Does anyone have an idea how long I can wait and still get a room at either PP or DLH for the weekend?

:eek: I have been so distracted by starting up school I haven't been able to do anything with the OP for this thread. Here's top hoping I can spare some time this weekend. But in the meantime I will give the thread a bump!

Reminder: You have until February 6 to register before the price increases for the 1/2 Marathon!

• $125 by February 6, 2011
• $135 between February 7 and April 10, 2011
• $145 on or after April 11, 2011

And Jenn, thank you for posting those pictures from last year!

If anyone is interested I started a TR about the race last year. It's been a while since I've updated it but I plan to finish it up this month. :)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2555577

That was a great trip report!! It was like I was running it all over again.

We flipped the 5K last year, not the 1/2 (I just didn't want to carry it for that long). I'll have to go through it this weekend and see if I have any good 5K pics!

That was a great trip report!! It was like I was running it all over again.

We flipped the 5K last year, not the 1/2 (I just didn't want to carry it for that long). I'll have to go through it this weekend and see if I have any good 5K pics!

Thanks! I really need to get it finished. :rotfl:

I loved Couch to 5K!!!! I started it in August. By October (about week 7) I ran the Long Beach 5K. Did the Castaway Cay 5K on my DCL cruise in November. And completed the WDW Half in January! Which was AMAZING. My friends and I plan to sign up for the DL Half as well so that we can get that Coast To Coast medal too!!!

[/I]
DH and I will be heading to Disneyland for the half marathon in Sept 2011. We just completed our very first half marathon at WDW this past weekend. We cannot wait to be able to complete the Coast to Coast Challenge and get our extra medal for completing a half on both coasts this year.

I am not a runner, I run/walk/run. Thanks to Jeff Galloway (Coach for Run Disney) I mad it through my 1st half marathon without being injured. I loved it! I took his advice from the expo the day prior and went out slow. I can honestly say that his run/walk/run method allows everyone to be able to complete a 1/2 if they want to. I had a lot of bumps in the road with my training last year, and my longest run leading into it was only 6.2 miles. I didn't care that my time was 3:19:07 I enjoyed myself, took pictures along the way, and I can celebrate knowing I completed it wanting to do more. My DH is a runner, and he completed in 2:20:47...he wants to complete the DL one much quicker. I would like to shave some time off mine, and am now working my way to faster pace, but I will still slow down, take pictures, and enjoy.

I booked the Disneyland Hotel this am as we would love to stay on property. I'm thinking we will look to stay off-property close by to save $$$ as we will be traveling from Orlando for this one.

Good luck to you! Be sure to check out www.rundisney.com and www.jeffgalloway.com regarding the training plans and also other tips to completeing your first.

I also follow Galloway now- once I completed C25K I started using his plan. I went to see him at the Expo at WDW, so exciting! I second checking out his site. In a few months I was able to prepare for and run 13.1 miles! I would never have guessed I'd be able to do that, before I started in August.

I'm hoping to do another half maybe in June, so I can get a faster time and get in a better corral than I had at WDW. Once I got through all the picture taking I did in the Magic Kingdom :cool1:, I was stuck in the middle of thousands and thousands of walkers. It was almost impossible to move ahead. Nothing against the walkers- it just made it very difficult to run!

This time I'm excited to have my family here at the race-it was so neat to see all the signs and families cheering for their runners at the WDW Half. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter