Disney World with pets question...

Disfamguy

Just a little Goofy
Our family got a Yorkie Puppy a few months ago. She is 16 weeks old now but when we go to DW she will be 9 months old. She is almost house broken now. Our current plan is to stay at the CBR but we didn't think this through. We want to bring the puppy with us but don't know if they make any accommodations for pets.

I'm sure they are not permitted in the guest rooms but are there any on site kennels that take good care of your animals? Also, I am also pretty sure they aren't allowed in the parks but are there places to take them where they can spend time with us while we are there?

By the way, this is our family's first pet so we are all kinda attached to her. LOL.

Our family got a Yorkie Puppy a few months ago. She is 16 weeks old now but when we go to DW she will be 9 months old. She is almost house broken now. Our current plan is to stay at the CBR but we didn't think this through. We want to bring the puppy with us but don't know if they make any accommodations for pets.

I'm sure they are not permitted in the guest rooms but are there any on site kennels that take good care of your animals? Also, I am also pretty sure they aren't allowed in the parks but are there places to take them where they can spend time with us while we are there?

By the way, this is our family's first pet so we are all kinda attached to her. LOL.

With a dog that young, I would be hesitant to board her. Do you have any relatives that could take her or stay at your house during the time you are away? Disney allows service animals, but not normal pets. When we travel to Disney, we board our dog at our vet's office. That way, if something were to happen, she would be in the best possible hands.

Best Friends Pet Care provides pet boarding in Disney World it is almost directly across from the entrance to Port Orleans Riverside.

I have lived with dogs all my life, my mom was a dog lover. Our family now always has a dog, and other pets as well. My oldest daughter is married and has a house, they now have 2 dogs and 2 cats.
As much as we love our pets we also love to travel. So we board them. We miss them. We all survive.
Our dogs hates being left at the boarder. He whines and cries when we leave him. But I am of the opinion that they have no sense of time. He is sad when we are not there, he is thrilled when we come back.
Very few hotels allow pets. And even if they did would you want to leave her alone all day in a hotel room? Disney is a long day!!
If you want to take her and board her at Disney are you flying or driving? Our dog does not do well on long car trips, and I would never fly with a pet, that is too scary to me.

The kennels at Disney are good though, if you do want to take her.

This is the only onsite kennel: Best Friends

My cousin used them when she would do day trips to WDW from Tampa and had no one to keep the dogs. They did fine there, but her dogs are used to be boarded.

Check to see if there is a Pet Suites in your area. We board our two dogs at the one in our area, the dogs love it there. They get very excited when we turn into the parking lot. The people that work there are great, they recognize our dogs as soon as we come in.

Can pets stay overnight at the kennels? I heard this for day use only.....

Yes, pets can stay overnight at the Best Friends pet center, which has pet boarding services. They would need to, as pets are not permitted in Disney resort rooms, the only exception is for some Fort Wilderness trailer sites that will allow dogs. (This is now the only kennel on property - Disney used to run its own kennels and there were several of them, now it's all been consolidated into this one location operated by a third party.)

You may be able to find an offsite resort that will allow you to keep your dog in your room, from what I understand there are several in the area. You are correct in assuming that pets are not allowed in the parks. Only service animals are permitted.

If I were you, I would call and see if you can switch hotels to POR, still a moderate. The kennels are directly across the street from POR. You have several things to consider, first if you fly, I hear smalls dogs can go in cabin now, but since I have a service dog I am not sure of that. But second is that you will have to either rent a car or find a town care service willing to take a pet, that will be few and far between. If you do bring her and put her in the kennels you will be able to go visit, that is why I would move to POR, easier to visit and spend time with her. They do have some places to take her out around the kennels and walk her and water her, splash park for dogs, fort wilderness has dog runs also, if you want to drive all the way over there.

I do like the kennels, clean, well cared for and my dog is happy, or at least happy to see me. I have a service dog but to take her to the park all day, every day is to much. Dlr is great kennel right there, but wdw only has the one, so she goes in for the day and I use my family to guide me, we take her out afternoons, evenings and she guides me thru the evenings, she is allowed in hotels since she is a service dog, but next morning back to the kennels.it really is a lot of work and travel to have a dog I. Disney. Since yours is not a service dog, I would see about a pet sitter or a boarder near home, if she is going to be left in kennel either way, you will find one a lot cheaper near home. I would also start brining her a day here and there once a month for a few months before you leave her for a vacation, so that she knows you leave and come back. One of my dogs refuses to eat in a kennel so I have to find friends if we go for two weeks, or he would die.

If you're flying there, you can certainly take her in the cabin of the plane with you - check the airline's restrictions in terms of the kind of carrier she has to be in, but generally it's just something small enough to go under the seat in front of you. I've flown with my cat several times and never had any problems. One things though, as soon as you book your flight, call the airline and have them note your pet on your flight reservation. Most airlines only allow 2, sometimes 3, pets in the cabin per flight. If you don't put it on your reservation and you're the 4th pet owner to check-in for your flight on the day, you'll be out of luck. Usually its anywhere from $50-$200 to fly with a pet.

If I remember right, if you are flying in DME does not allow dogs on their bus, you would have to find your own way to the kennels. The basic cost is about 2 to 3 x's what I pay for boarding at our Vets place and this includes 2 potty breaks, everything else is ala carte, like play time, or walking, etc.
They have different ranges of "suites".

STANDARD DOG SUITES
All Indoor Suites:
•32-square foot climate controlled suite
•pet cot
•2 walks/day

Indoor-Outdoor Suites: 36 to 48 square feet climate controlled suites. They include a pet cot, indoor bedroom and an outdoor patio that the staff will open throughout their stay. That includes one potty walk per day.

All indoor suites: Climate controlled that are 32 square feet with a pet cot. Includes 2 potty walks per day.

LUXURY DOG SUITES
Vacation Villas: 2 room villas are 8ftx9ft with a tiled bedroom and concrete relief patio. Raised bedding and a flat screen TV that provides nice sound and companionship. The private outdoor relief patio is 4ftx7ft. This also includes 1 potty walk, 1 playgroup, and a turn down bisquit each day. There are only 14 of these available.

VIP LUXURY SUITES
This is a 16ftx9ft suite. The bedroom have paw print flooring and tile walls, with glass doors. It also has a raised bed, flat screen TV. It has a private, covered outdoor play yard that your pets can see out of. It has "K9 grass" (outdoor green colored carpet that is washable) for relief as well. It has a plastic playground in it. This suite also has a personal "pet concierge" that will take care of your pet exclusively. Also includes 2 potty walks, 2 playgroup sessions, Ice Cream Treat and Bed time story each day, all taken care of by their Concierge! If you have a 3 day minumum stay ONE pet will get a free "Go Home Fresh Bath".

Dogs Prices per night for Resort Guests
Indoor Suites $34
Indoor-Outdoor 2-Room Suites $36
Vacation Villas $53
VIP Suite $69

The following options are offered a la carte:
•Playgroup: $15 for 30 min
•Playtime: $8 for 10 min
•Cuddle time: $8 for 10 min
•Walk & Explore: $8 for 10 min
•Bottled Water: $5 per day
•Bedtime Story: $6 each
•Ice Cream Break: $4 each
•Premium Bed: $5 per day

Are you driving or flying?

If you don't have your heart set on a WDW resort, give Universal Resorts a try. For the past three years we have driven down with our GSD (German shepherd dog) and we stay on-site at Universal. Our dog stays in the room all day & hangs out while we are in the parks. He's very well behaved and sleeps while we are out.

If your Yorkie can't be left alone for long periods, you can day kennel the dog at Best Friends, then bring him/her back to your Universal hotel when you're done in the parks.

I've used Best Friends before and I have mixed feelings about the place. Some DIS'ers love it but I'm a little more skeptical.

I really wish WDW would choose a section of at least one hotel for those of us that treat our pets just like any other family member so we could enjoy the Disney resorts with them. Instead, I give thousands to UO since they are pet-friendly.

If you have any specific questions for me, send me a PM because I don't always check back. Best of luck to you. My dog has us wrapped around his paws, too. :)

As others have mentioned, Best Friends is the kennel on site. I can (well, second-hand) vouch for them since my fur-sister, Kaycee has stayed there a couple of times. And she's a rescue dog - not neglected but ignored - so she has some issues. My wheelchair bound father is devoted to Kaycee so the fact he allows her to be boarded is amazing. Plus, she can get ice cream every day.

That said, I would also encourage you to look into pet sitting services in your area. We have four cats and have a sitter come in for our vacations. The pet is not taken out of their home at all so their routine never changes. The service we use also does all kinds of pets and have several levels for dogs. They also will take in your newspaper and mail, take out your trash if you are gone on that day, rotate your blinds so it looks like someone is home, water your plants, etc. The service I use took over an hour going through every single thing that could go wrong with the house - where is the water cut off? where is the fuse box? etc. It's much more than a pet sitting service.

I agree with PP. Its going to be way more expensive to board your dog at Disney (not to mention the hassle of getting him there) than it will be to hire a pet sitter. You save money and you get the peace of mind of knowing someone is checking on your house every so often while you are away. Also, with a dog that young, boarding will be a lot harder on the dog than letting it stay home.

We board our rabbit at Best Friends - they have a room just for pocket pets. Our vet charges $50 a day and BF charges less than 1/2 of that. Tinkerbell has always gotten good care.

Not much to add to original poster, but another vote here for a pet-friendly hotel at Disney.
I would be willing to pay a bit more than a value for a chance to travel with my Baby-Dog.
It would be great with a Disney animal theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter