Disney World Dining Booking Window Moves to 180 Days

With no medical documentation from a doctor...are they likely to believe you even if it is true and remove the charge. And it is a major inconvenience (especially when currency conversion charges would mean you don't get a full refund)

In theory it sounds great....but there are a great deal of flaws in the concept of charging for ADRs to things other than shows and Cindy.

We had this same thing a few years back. We decided to get a US dollar credit card (we are Canadians) so that when a credit charge is "fixed" or credited we don't end up loosing anything on the exchange.

This also allows us to pay the bill without paying the convenience charge that all CC companies charge. We simply pay the bill with US currency when it arrives.

I'm all for a move back to 180days....although even if it were true it won't help with this December. :(

The only thing with taking a cc and charging for no shows is that there are times when you can be delayed or unable to come through no fault of your own (ie Disney transport stuffs up) or something happens like an illness etc.
For this reason we will make a couple extra ADRs for ones we REALLY want to do incase I get ill (I get ill every trip now at some point...and not just a sniffle)
With no medical documentation from a doctor...are they likely to believe you even if it is true and remove the charge. And it is a major inconvenience (especially when currency conversion charges would mean you don't get a full refund)

In theory it sounds great....but there are a great deal of flaws in the concept of charging for ADRs to things other than shows and Cindy.

Not to be a naysayer, but if Disney does they correctly, they wouldn't be accepting ANY reasons or excuses for missing an ADR. Not for anyone, not at anytime. Once word got out that all you had to say was someone in your party became ill, everyone would use that excuse. Likewise, if your flight was delayed coming in or Disney transportation broke down, the whole policy would be moot. Also, Disney can't ask for a doctor's note; the hassle alone, not to mention the legal ramifications would be a logistical disaster. The bottom line is, ADRs are not a necessity. Yes, we all know they are at certain times of the year, but you don't HAVE TO make them. You can always try as a walk-in if you're not sure you can make it.

Some people haven't noticed this, but in the past week alone, when using the online ADR system, a very long disclaimer (which used to be for CC-held ADRs only) has been added to appear on ALL ADRs. This disclaimer has actually been on the online site since it became available, however it wasn't appearing on the confirmation page or the confirmation e-mails until just this past week. This ADR was for Sci-Fi Dine-In, a (1) credit TS @ DHS:

-Transportation Time: Allow up to 1.5 hours to travel to your destination when traveling within Walt Disney World property.

- Most Walt Disney World Resort table-service restaurants that accept advance reservations can accommodate Kosher needs if requested at least 24 hours in advance by calling (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call. A credit card is required to guarantee this meal; the full price of ordered meals will be charged if you cancel within one day of the reservation or are a "no show" for the reservation. At family-style or buffet locations, you will only receive one meal; does not include all-you-care-to-eat. You will be charged the regular buffet or all-you-care-to-eat price.

They're covering their tails by telling you to allow for 1.5 hours of travel time, as well as that a CC (maybe not now, but soon) will be required. I didn't have to put down a CC to make this ADR. However, a new box appeared stating that $0 payment had been made -- a box that has never appeared alongside this type of ADR before.

Something is happening.

At family-style or buffet locations, you will only receive one meal; does not include all-you-care-to-eat. You will be charged the regular buffet or all-you-care-to-eat price. [/B]

ok, I'm probably being dense here but what is this part of their disclaimer supposed to mean? :confused3

Uuuuggggghh! (I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football!)

We will be a big group in Aug 2010 and we are unsure of our dates and what not. I hope this is just a rumor and they stay with the 90 days....maybe make CRT and some of the bigger ones 180 again.

Not to be a naysayer, but if Disney does they correctly, they wouldn't be accepting ANY reasons or excuses for missing an ADR. Not for anyone, not at anytime. Once word got out that all you had to say was someone in your party became ill, everyone would use that excuse. Likewise, if your flight was delayed coming in or Disney transportation broke down, the whole policy would be moot. Also, Disney can't ask for a doctor's note; the hassle alone, not to mention the legal ramifications would be a logistical disaster. The bottom line is, ADRs are not a necessity. Yes, we all know they are at certain times of the year, but you don't HAVE TO make them. You can always try as a walk-in if you're not sure you can make it.

Some people haven't noticed this, but in the past week alone, when using the online ADR system, a very long disclaimer (which used to be for CC-held ADRs only) has been added to appear on ALL ADRs. This disclaimer has actually been on the online site since it became available, however it wasn't appearing on the confirmation page or the confirmation e-mails until just this past week. This ADR was for Sci-Fi Dine-In, a (1) credit TS @ DHS:

-Transportation Time: Allow up to 1.5 hours to travel to your destination when traveling within Walt Disney World property.

- Most Walt Disney World Resort table-service restaurants that accept advance reservations can accommodate Kosher needs if requested at least 24 hours in advance by calling (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call. A credit card is required to guarantee this meal; the full price of ordered meals will be charged if you cancel within one day of the reservation or are a "no show" for the reservation. At family-style or buffet locations, you will only receive one meal; does not include all-you-care-to-eat. You will be charged the regular buffet or all-you-care-to-eat price.

They're covering their tails by telling you to allow for 1.5 hours of travel time, as well as that a CC (maybe not now, but soon) will be required. I didn't have to put down a CC to make this ADR. However, a new box appeared stating that $0 payment had been made -- a box that has never appeared alongside this type of ADR before.

Something is happening.

Wait, so now I need a CC no matter WHAT ADR I make? This is insane! Why would Disney do this? I could see if you don't call and cancel and never show up. But if I call an hour or 2 before my ADR and cancel, I am sure someone (a walk-in) will gobble up my spot, kwim?

Folks, read the statement carefully. This section regarding charging a credit card is in the same paragraph as ordering a special kosher meal. At this point in time they will only charge a credit card for that meal. You can't get all you can eat at a buffet, it states you only get one meal. The credit card charge issue does not apply to regular ADR's only special requests.

It may be a sign of things to come (hopefully is) but right now it isn't.

Something is happening.
Great. So if I have a seizure and need to go to hospital for nine hours...I still have to pay for a meal I was planning to go to?
SERIOUSLY DISNEY WOULD BE THAT CALLOUS?????

And I still don't get this bit -
"You can't get all you can eat at a buffet, it states you only get one meal"

So...I have to pile up my plate with all the stuff I want at once so the flavours mix and it gets cold. Rather than pick a bit of this...go eat...then get another little bit...

So...I have to pile up my plate with all the stuff I want at once so the flavours mix and it gets cold. Rather than pick a bit of this...go eat...then get another little bit...
Again, if you read carefully that is included with the paragraph discussing Kosher meals! It means if you request a Kosher meal they are not going to provide a complete Kosher buffet for you but rather will just provide you with a meal! Does that make sense?

Great. So if I have a seizure and need to go to hospital for nine hours...I still have to pay for a meal I was planning to go to?
SERIOUSLY DISNEY WOULD BE THAT CALLOUS?????

If you're already portending a seizure and hospitalization, then I think paying $10 or $20 for an ADR cancelation is the least of your worries. Also, why would that be Disney's fault? A large percentage of people who go to WDW have medical challenges; are all of them to receive discounts, waivers and free-passes? I don't know how a potential CC/ADR system would work, I only know how it should, and that is by not excusing anyone for any reason. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and allowing any pardons would open the floodgates for everyone to take advantage and cancel without penalty.

Oh I SO hope they need a cc to reserve EVERY ADR. You'll see how quickly ADR slots open up. :) I'm all for it and will willingly hand over my cc# every time they ask.

I'm with you on this! :cool1:

If you're already portending a seizure and hospitalization, then I think paying $10 or $20 for an ADR cancelation is the least of your worries. Also, why would that be Disney's fault? A large percentage of people who go to WDW have medical challenges; are all of them to receive discounts, waivers and free-passes? I don't know how a potential CC/ADR system would work, I only know how it should, and that is by not excusing anyone for any reason. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and allowing any pardons would open the floodgates for everyone to take advantage and cancel without penalty.

Yes, the charge on the CC would be the least of my worries if a member of my family was on their way to the hospital.

As for the 180 day window, I can't see how it would be at all necessary. I don't personally know anybody who wants to make reservations 6 months in advance. It's pretty hard to even make airline reservations that far in advance -- they don't have all of the flights scheduled yet.

As for the 180 day window, I can't see how it would be at all necessary. I don't personally know anybody who wants to make reservations 6 months in advance. It's pretty hard to even make airline reservations that far in advance -- they don't have all of the flights scheduled yet.
We book airline tickets as soon as possible and the schedule for the airlines is released at the 300 day window. We then book DVC as soon as we have the flights booked.

We have been ready to make December ADRs since April

Yes, the charge on the CC would be the least of my worries if a member of my family was on their way to the hospital.
Not the point....of course you don't worry about it at the time.
But once it is dealt with...I'm not made of money is the point. I just thought perhaps Disney was slightly understanding of emergencies
I don't see how a person asking for a refund and then having it dealt with on a case by case basis would be a problem??

I don't see what everyone is getting so upset about. Disney is losing money because people are abusing the system and booking multiple ADR's and then choosing which ones they want to go to instead of just simply planning in advance. I think they have every right to require a CC# to hold a reservation and then charge that CC# if the person does not show up.

Now, the kicker is that Disney NEEDS to allow the party to cancel up to their reservation time if needed. Yes, things come up, people get stuck in parks, get stuck on buses, end up waiting far longer than anticipated and miss their reservations, so Disney needs to protect their guests as well and only charge them if the person has not shown up at the reservation time nor called to say they were running late. Everyone has cell phones these days, so it is perfectly acceptable for Disney to ask a person to call if they are running late to avoid the charge. They should only charge when there is a no-show at the reservation time.

I think doing this fixes the no-show problem and also gives guests some flexibility to cancel at the last minute if needed and their table can be given to a walk up.

Oh I think it's fine if they are going to need a CC for all reservations now. It's the smart thing for the restaurants to do.

We have always cancelled an ADR if something comes up, or if we just change our minds. It's the polite thing to do. If we are running late because of transportation issues, we just call and say we are running a little late. It's no biggy.

I don't see what everyone is getting so upset about. Disney is losing money because people are abusing the system and booking multiple ADR's and then choosing which ones they want to go to instead of just simply planning in advance. I think they have every right to require a CC# to hold a reservation and then charge that CC# if the person does not show up.

Now, the kicker is that Disney NEEDS to allow the party to cancel up to their reservation time if needed. Yes, things come up, people get stuck in parks, get stuck on buses, end up waiting far longer than anticipated and miss their reservations, so Disney needs to protect their guests as well and only charge them if the person has not shown up at the reservation time nor called to say they were running late. Everyone has cell phones these days, so it is perfectly acceptable for Disney to ask a person to call if they are running late to avoid the charge. They should only charge when there is a no-show at the reservation time.

I think doing this fixes the no-show problem and also gives guests some flexibility to cancel at the last minute if needed and their table can be given to a walk up.
This is precisely the logic I was looking for. I'm glad to see at least one person on here is logical, practical and living in reality land.
People whinge they can't plan 180 days in advance and then also claim they are 100% sure nothing will happen to stop them being able make an ADR 48hrs in advance. Gosh I wish I lived in that world.

Everyone raises good points about not being charged if you call and cancel reservations that have been guaranteed with a CC. The problem is by being able to cancel up until the last minute you don't really prevent people from making multiple ADR's. They could make one for MK, one for EPCOT and one for the Studios and then 15 minutes before their scheduled time decide which ones they were going to cancel! It doesn't solve anything and just creates more hassle for those that follow the rules.

Everyone raises good points about not being charged if you call and cancel reservations that have been guaranteed with a CC. The problem is by being able to cancel up until the last minute you don't really prevent people from making multiple ADR's. They could make one for MK, one for EPCOT and one for the Studios and then 15 minutes before their scheduled time decide which ones they were going to cancel! It doesn't solve anything and just creates more hassle for those that follow the rules.

It does open up space for walk-ups, whose money is just as good for Disney as ADR peoples' money. If a restaurant knows 15 min. ahead of time that you cancelled, they can give the spot to a walk-up, and no money lost on Disney's part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter