Disney Wonder - Concerned about being assigned to aft

MAC1990

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone! I booked a VGT on Disney Wonder in December. I seriously cannot wait to set sail! I watched a YouTube video that said it is nearly impossible to sleep in an aft room, and I am concerned about being assigned to the aft section of the boat. However, they also said it was related to the boat engine when the boat needed to speed up. Since this cruise is just going from San Diego to Ensenada, I don’t anticipate a huge need for the boat to speed up - we are going somewhere within driving distance of the embarkation port.

Does anyone have experience with an aft room on the Wonder for a short distance cruise like this? Any tips? Thank you in advance!

If the Wonder isn't going very fast, it isn't much of an issue. It's mostly at top speed. We have had a lot of vibration/rattling in an aft room, but the rattling noise was really the only thing that was annoying.

I happened to have earplugs and I used them after the first few nights. After that I had no trouble sleeping. The vibration wasn't really an issue. Just the rattling in the ceiling due to the vibration. You could press on the rattling spot and it would stop for a bit, but would either find a new spot, or just start up again later. This was in an aft Navigator's verandah on the WBPC in March and we spent most of the nights traveling at top speed. We've been on the Wonder for 32 nights in the last 9 months and have definitely noticed that the slower the speed, the less of an issue it is.

If the Wonder isn't going very fast, it isn't much of an issue. It's mostly at top speed. We have had a lot of vibration/rattling in an aft room, but the rattling noise was really the only thing that was annoying.

I happened to have earplugs and I used them after the first few nights. After that I had no trouble sleeping. The vibration wasn't really an issue. Just the rattling in the ceiling due to the vibration. You could press on the rattling spot and it would stop for a bit, but would either find a new spot, or just start up again later. This was in an aft Navigator's verandah on the WBPC in March and we spent most of the nights traveling at top speed. We've been on the Wonder for 32 nights in the last 9 months and have definitely noticed that the slower the speed, the less of an issue it is.
Awesome. This is what I was hoping to hear!

Our favorite location on the wonder and magic was a family (5) person cabin veranda on the aft. It’s so quiet and an easy walk up to the palo potty’s when ours was being used. Never had a problem sleeping. It the top deck of staterooms before the pool deck. I had midship there once and it was terrible because you could hear them dragging the pool chairs out every morning at 6am. We are a family of 5 so have only stayed on that deck because that’s where the verandas that sleep 5 are.

Our favorite location on the wonder and magic was a family (5) person cabin veranda on the aft. It’s so quiet and an easy walk up to the palo potty’s when ours was being used. Never had a problem sleeping. It the top deck of staterooms before the pool deck. I had midship there once and it was terrible because you could hear them dragging the pool chairs out every morning at 6am. We are a family of 5 so have only stayed on that deck because that’s where the verandas that sleep 5 are.
Awesome, great tips. I do not want to wake up at 6 am on vacation!

We sailed in 5634 (aft) on the Wonder to Alaska a few years ago. There was some mild vibration at times, nothing problematic. It was a good stateroom and a great cruise.

We always get an aft cabin on the Wonder (ADA 6 & 7) and never had any problems. We've done the PC and Alaska both 3 times, so they weren't short cruises. Most vibration comes from the side thrusters when doing docking manuevers. As with everything, everyone has a different perspective though.

Maybe I had bad luck, but I was in 6138 (navigators veranda) in April on a 4 night cruise with a port call in Cabo, and the vibration was bad. Laying in bed, I felt like I was on one of those coin operated vibrating beds that were popular in hotels when I was a kid. And the vibration noise from lamp shades and closet hangers and other items in the room was also annoying. I’ve sailed in that stateroom before, on the same itinerary, 3 or 4 years ago and it wasn’t bad at all then. I tend to prefer aft rooms on Wonder and Magic, but my April experience has me re-thinking that preference.

We were on the Wonder in May in room 6638 and didn't notice any vibration while sleeping or spending any time in the room.

Psy

I loved staying aft and actually enjoyed the vibration. Made it feel more cruise-y. Slept like a baby in a vibrating bouncy thingy 🤣. I guess it's all about your attitude and perspective.

Hi Everyone! I booked a VGT on Disney Wonder in December. I seriously cannot wait to set sail! I watched a YouTube video that said it is nearly impossible to sleep in an aft room, and I am concerned about being assigned to the aft section of the boat. However, they also said it was related to the boat engine when the boat needed to speed up. Since this cruise is just going from San Diego to Ensenada, I don’t anticipate a huge need for the boat to speed up - we are going somewhere within driving distance of the embarkation port.

Does anyone have experience with an aft room on the Wonder for a short distance cruise like this? Any tips? Thank you in advance!
I only ever stay in aft. And I'm a light sleeper. I've never been woken up due to shaking or whatever. (I've done 7 cruises so far)

We did the Wonder in April down and back from San Diego to Cabo and there was a definite vibration aft on sea days when the ship was moving fast, the light fixtures in Tiana's were rattling pretty well for example. My understanding is that most DCL itineraries (including Alaska) don't have the ship going at that speed for so long but it is a good distance down and back to Cabo and at full speed there is a definite vibration aft on the Wonder. That being said I think it is actually pretty exhilarating to be on deck at those speeds and feel the wind and watch the ship eat up the miles, though YMMV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter