Disney with Twin Toddlers: Our Guide!

lucyddr

Working Mom of twins!

I had hoped to do an amazing trip report for our first Disney vacation, but I simply don't have the time...so this will be my "guide" for those considering taking twin toddlers to Walt Disney World. This is our experience, and please know that yours may vary. Our children were far too young for a surprise, so we basically told them they were going to see Mickey and that was it! Here goes...

Because the drive would have taken a full day of travelling both ways, we chose to fly. Since we routinely make 5.5 hour car trips 2-3 times a month, we simply didn’t want to begin our vacation and end it spending 12 hours in a car. Because we flew, we faced the entire airport to our resort dilemma…which we solved easily. We’ve used Happy Limo prior to having children and opted to use the company again. They meet you at the airport with a sign (makes you feel special), help with luggage, have car seats available and installed based on your needs (certainly not $300 deals with perfect installs, but probably “Average” in terms of most parents’ installation jobs), and make a grocery stop for 15 minutes at Publix. The grocery stop alone justifies the cost, which for us was around $240 round trip including taxes and tips. If you plan to bring luggage and a twin stroller, plan on a Suburban or Ford Expedition…as a minivan just won’t work.

If you don’t want to spend the money, Disney does offer the Magical Express bus service free with packages. The thought of two toddlers on a big bus, unrestrained, and dealing with multiple stops didn’t sound very interesting to us…so we chose not to take advantage of it.

Flying vs Driving
Pros of Driving:
1. You can bring more "gear."
2. You don't have luggage weight limits.
3. You have your own car seats when you get there.
4. You can come and go from the parks easily via your own vehicle.
5. Possibly cheaper.

Pros of Flying:
1. MUCH faster travel times (at least for us)...that's really about it!

Cons of Flying:
1. Luggage weight limits and number of bags limits
2. No car seats or car when you arrive (yes, you can rent a car...but it's pricey)
3. With twin lap babies, you cannot sit by your spouse...must sit in different rows because each 3 seat row only has 4 oxygen masks. We chose to sit across from each other in aisle seats.

Cons of Driving:
1. Takes forever!
2. Parking fees at parks and resorts. Parking is free at Disney Resorts if you are staying there and at the parks. If you stay off property, plan on about $20 a day to park at Disney. And just fyi, lots of hotels have parking fees too in the Orlando area!

Pardon the lack of smiles...just keeping it real and this was our last day of the trip!

Property vs Off-Property

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside on WDW property. For us, a king size bed is a must! We hate rooms with two beds, as the extra bed is totally a waste of space for our family. Therefore, we had limited choices of places to stay that would guarantee a king bed. We used 2 pack n plays, which fit in our room just fine. We basically moved the table and chairs to the same wall as the bed, then used that space for the 2 pack n plays. We parked the stroller on the wall on the opposite side of the bed. The table and chairs were not easily used in this configuration, but we didn't need them anyway.
One nice thing about Disney is that they provided the pack n plays and sheets that actually fit them! They were not anything fancy, but they were clean and functional.
Pros of Staying on Property:
1. No driving is necessary for the entire vacation, which is a HUGE deal for us as we hate to drive when vacationing.
2. Close access to everywhere you want to go.
3. The boat to Downtown Disney (if staying at some resorts) was a huge hit with the kids and a nice relaxing ride for us.
4. Ability to purchase dining plans, have park purchases sent to your room (so you don't have to carry them around all day), and the new Magic Bands.
5. The pools are great!
6. If you have a car, your can park at the resort and all theme parks for free!

We were glad we chose to stay on property. The resort was beautiful and was a peaceful place to come back to in the evenings. The pool was wonderful and the presence of a shallow baby pool was great for us. We were not able to get a King room at Caribbean Beach Resort, but if it is available…I would strongly consider that resort with toddlers. The toddler splash area is amazing!!!

Last edited:

Sunscreened up and about to get into the stroller for our first day!

Dining Recommendations

We purchased the Disney Dining Plan. We have always enjoyed the Deluxe Plan in the past, but didn't think it was worth an extra $100/day with the kids since they don't exactly enjoy "signature" dining! The regular plan worked well for us. We did spend some extra money on meals for the kids, snacks, and drinks...but not $800 worth!

If your children are under 2, they can eat in the buffets for free. We found the buffets to be a perfect "fit" for us as a family. They were faster, which is critical when you have two hungry cranky toddlers. They were always in nicely air-conditioned buildings, another key when you travel during the hottest week of the year like we did. The service is great. The variety of foods is wonderful, much better than fast food. And the characters were a HUGE hit for our kiddos!

Here are the restaurants that we enjoyed the most (as parents of toddlers...not so much for a romantic trip)!

1. Chef Mickeys. You can ride the monorail from Magic Kingdom and Epcot to get to the Contemporary Resort. This is a great mode of transport, as it doesn't require you to fold up your double stroller! The characters were fun and the little "party" songs they sing were a huge hit with my kids. Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy were there (and maybe Donald Duck...can't remember for sure about him). And, you can get a great family photo here!

2. Garden Grill. This restaurant is in Epcot in The Land pavilion. It rotates very slowly while you eat and features characters in "farmer" clothes. The food is served family-style. I loved this restaurant because the menu had some actually "healthy" items! We dined on fish, chicken (kids), beef, turkey, sweet potato fries (kids), mac n cheese (kids), dressing, salad, broccoli (kids), mashed potatoes, berry cobbler, and cupcake cones (kids). The characters included Mickey, Pluto, Chip, Minnie, and Dale.

3.Tusker House. This restaurant is at Animal Kingdom. The breakfast is rather generic, but the characters make it super neat! All are in "safari" attire and include Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, and Goofy.

4.Crystal Palace. This is my personal favorite breakfast in the entire WDW resort! It's a beautiful restaurant inside of Magic Kingdom and has the Winnie the Pooh characters. Our kids were unsure of the Pooh characters, but ate very well! The fresh fruit, breakfast lasagna, and honey yogurt were sure favorites!

5.T-Rex Cafe. We ate here twice during our trip...it was that enjoyable! This place is a typical Landry's themed restaurant, but is wonderfully themed and stimulating for little ones. If your kids are sensitive to loud noises and darkness, then I recommend you stay far far away. Ours LOVED the dinosaurs roaring around them (they still roar now when we ask them what dinosaurs say) and the changing lights in the ice cave. We thought this place was way better than Rainforest Cafe...just fyi.

We also dined at multiple quick-service places, many of which were good. Be Our Guest has a quick service lunch that we went to on our first day. The technology is super cool, though the restaurant was a bit hectic at lunch time...which kind of stressed our kids out. The food there was just ok. I would eat there if you have a Beauty and the Beast fan, but otherwise...it's not a must-do for toddlers.

One thing that beats typical travel is that Disney has great kids’ meals that aren't typical fast food. Our kids ate TONS of red grapes there and enjoyed the sides of goldfish crackers too! Our two typically split a kids' meal, which was plenty of food (plus we shared ours with them a lot).
In summary, I would consider eating a table meal once a day and then play the other meals by ear. Our kids did not eat at the same times that they would at home...so trying to plan exact meal times was hard. We kept goldfish crackers in our diaper bag at all times for "emergencies" and always kept something cold to drink with us. We did have some more traditional sit-down meals, that went fine...we just used our dining plan and paid for the kids' foods and drinks. I just think the buffets were a better situation in terms of price, selection, and quickness!

His response when he had his first bite of dessert at TRex!

Stroller Considerations

We own two twin strollers...a Bumbleride Indie Twin and a Chicco Cortina. I also thoroughly researched various strollers before our trip and strongly considered purchasing a Kinderwagon. Because we were flying, we felt that we needed a stroller in the airport. Our kids cannot walk an entire concourse, so a "ride" was a total necessity. Clearly, the Bumbleride is a pricey stroller...so we were a little concerned about how it would be treated by airport staff. The Cortina folds nicely, but one kid can't recline and it's a bear to steer...so it was not a viable choice for the trip. And honestly, our kids like to hold hands at times...so the side by side made more sense for their happiness (and the ability to recline one or both for naps)!
When flying with a stroller, there are a few things you need to be prepared for...

1. The stroller must be emptied so that TSA can do a complete search. This is a VERY thorough search and takes a few minutes...just plan on it! We only put our Vera Bradley backpack diaper bag in it and had a small "console" on it...so they were easy to remove in a flash.

2. When you get to the gate, you will need to get a special tag for the stroller in order for it to go on the plane. This was something that we didn't know, but thankful someone told us before we missed our boarding spot!

3. If there is bad weather, you will not have your stroller returned right off of the plane ramp...it may be sent through baggage claim which means you get to travel through a huge airport with two babies! It sounded horrible, but really didn't turn out to be a big deal.

4. Don't bother with a bag...it's not worth the trouble and wouldn't protect the stroller frame anyway.

5. If you are a super picky person, don't travel with an $800 stroller! Ours did get a tiny bit warped in the frame, but it corrected the moment we put Andrew in his seat. It also has two white scratches on the side frame that were not there before. No biggie for us...as we knew it was a risk we were taking.

We took our Bumbleride and were very glad we did! It steers on a dime and will easily fit through any door. It also has a huge basket underneath, which is nice for storing the rain cover (used once, not sure it was worth $40), diaper bag, and various items. One downside to that particular stroller is that it is pretty bulky when folded and weighs 36 pounds. Another downside to this type of stroller (BOBs would have similar issues) is that it's a little bit challenging on the busses. What we did, which worked well for us, was for me to hold both toddlers once the bus arrived. I did initially bring my Boba carrier to put one kid on my back, but used it twice and realized it was easier (and MUCH cooler) to just hold them both! Adam would fold the stroller, place the diaper bag on his back, and go to the back door of the bus where there was a big space for him to stand with the stroller. I would hold both babies on the bus... The inconvenience of the bulk was far overshadowed by the fact that the babies LOVE the stroller and will nap in it great!

One thing to consider if you are driving with limited space or flying (but can get through the airport without a stroller) is renting. There are several rental companies in Orlando that rent Baby Jogger City Mini Doubles for $80-100 a week. The City Mini folds much flatter than our stroller, which is nice for busses. We have both agreed that we will likely rent one on our next trip...though I may cave and bring the Bumbleride again since I love it so much!

Theme Parks and Park Schedule Planning

We had 7 days to spend in parks, and we still missed a ton of stuff! It's the nature of travelling with 2 20 month olds! Nap times were sporadic and they rarely napped at the exact time...so they tended to drag for 3 hours or so. During naps, we just found a cool spot and killed time walking around the area, shopping a bit, and playing with our phones. If I only had a limited amount of park time, I would choose Magic Kingdom and Epcot for toddlers...and just ditch Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. Our kids LOVED Magic Kingdom and Epcot far more than the other two parks, so that's where we spent the most time. They also LOVED the baby area of Typhoon Lagoon if you have time for a water park.

Magic Kingdom Info: This is the one park where you need to see the opening show! It starts about 20-30 minutes before the park opens each morning and lasts about 15 minutes. Adam and I wanted this to be our first park experience with our children, so we chose Magic Kingdom for our first day in the parks. Some say you shouldn't because the other parks are a let-down...but we don't believe that at all. While the show played, I cried...it was truly a dream-come-true for Adam and I to be standing there holding our two healthy children...miracles really. We entered the park after the show and dined at Crystal Palace. We, then, we over to Adventure land. Our first ride was The Magic Carpets of Aladdin. Andrew loved it so much that he completely melted down when the ride ended and had to get off...like complete toddler throw down...first day! We did the Tiki Room and Jungle Cruise as well, then it was nap time. After their nap, we rode Peter Pan and had lunch at Be Our Guest (which has a special website where you can get a fast pass...https://beourguestlunch.disney.go.com). We also rode the carousel and It's a Small World. We watched the afternoon parade and rode the carousel again. By then, it was getting late and the kids were hot and tired. We called it a day.

I would strongly consider Fast pass + for the following:
1. Peter Pan
2. Little Mermaid
3. The Festival of Fantasy Parade
4. Wishes (we never saw but if you have night owl toddlers, the area would be great)
I will also say that with toddlers, you really need 2-3 days to enjoy every attraction at this park. We missed a ton of rides and attractions, but we kind of knew when our kids were done...so we generally heeded their whining and left!

Epcot Information: Our Epcot start was a total disaster! Andrew had a total tantrum just as we entered the park...hysterical toddler breakdown! Turns out, he was hungry...though he had been offered food 30 minutes before and refused to eat it! Once he was fed, our day began to improve! I was amazed at how toddler-friendly Epcot was though! It was our unexpected second-favorite park! Our kids loved the boat ride at The Land Pavilion, the games inside Innoventions (which is incidentally where they napped as well), the Seas ride with Nemo and aquarium, and the Imaginarium. We never made it into the World Showcase portion of the park...which was ok with us. The Figment building was a HUGE hit with them...playing on the musical squares and computer screens. We had several Fast pass + that we used, though the waits for our favorites were minimal regardless. Incidentally, we ate at the quick service inside The Land Pavilion for lunch...and it was really good! We only stayed at Epcot until 4, as we had our Chef Mickey reservations that night. We returned our last night to eat at Garden Grill...which was well worth dining in! We never even made it to the World Showcase portion of the park. Maybe next time we will!

Hollywood Studios Information: We booked the Frozen Premium Package...which was kind of worth it and kind of not. The priority seating for the parade, snacks, seating for the sing-along show, and desserts that night were wonderful...but the day was a bit too long for two toddlers. Lesson learned late that night when they were over-tired and miserable...as were we. Our kids really enjoyed the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground and the Disney Junior Live Show, otherwise they really didn't get much out of this park. It's definitely one that could be skipped without real regrets.

Animal Kingdom Information: This is a beautiful park...but could be skipped as well. The kids enjoyed breakfast at Tusker House, the Safari ride, and the drummers outside of Tusker House. We also rode the little circular ride (like Dumbo), which they enjoyed. Andrew loved the Lion King show (Anna slept through it) and Anna loved Nemo (Andrew didn't care much). Both of our toddlers learned a new word while at Animal Kingdom, which was “bubbles.” Thanks Nemo show! We didn't stay late at this park as the day was unbearably hot and attractions are kind of limited for little ones.

Typhoon Lagoon: We spent a day with some friends at this waterpark and it far exceeded our expectations! There is an area in the park designed specifically for small children. It is fairly isolated and is full of toddler-appropriate water activities. In hindsight, I wish we had budgeted more time for the water parks! The slides, water hoses, tiny steps with water rushing over them (seems trivial, but this entertained 3 toddlers for over an hour), and fountains were truly a toddler heaven...especially in the August heat!

Clearly, it's HOT when you go to Disney in mid-August!!!

There's more coming! I'm uploading photos tonight in hopes of making the huge amount of text more enjoyable! I NEEDED something like this before our trip and just couldn't find it anywhere, so I decided to create it!

Hope this helps someone!

only comment I can add is there can be less room at the back door if there are ECVs on the bus plus you can have to get off so ECV can get off if bus makes more than one stop.

Following along as well. Currently pregnant with twins and planning our first trip with they are 10-11 months old. :banana:

Our twins turned 20 months on this trip! They were born at 29 weeks though, so developmentally they are more like 18 month olds...if that helps!

As for the stroller in the back of the bus, yes...we were always super courteous of those with special needs. It was never an issue!

Things We Thought We Needed…But Didn’t!

1. Boba Carrier: I thought I would need the carrier to put Andrew on my back so that I could hold Anna getting on and off of the busses, so I brought our Boba carrier and kept it in the stroller…for the first 2 days. The truth is, I was able carry both kids in my arms on and off of the busses. The Boba was HOT, especially with a 25 pound hot toddler sitting inside it against my back! It’s nice, but not necessary for non-nursing infants.
2. Skip Hop Backpack Leashes: I thought these were a must-have with toddlers, but they were never used a single time. Our kids were either in their stroller, in our arms, holding our hands, or within arms’ reach (only in open play areas…not crowds). We didn’t need them and trust me, …less is more at Disney!
3. Raincoats: Yes, it rained on our trip …but not enough to worry about trying to get two squirmy kids into raincoats! Save the money and space and just get a little wet!
4. Disposable Bibs: These are a great concept… if your kids will wear them. Ours simply would not. They hated them and would rip them off over and over again. We finally gave up and trust me, …you can tell which meals were consumed without a bib! For us, they were not worth using and future trips will include 2 “real” bibs that we know they will wear at home. We have recently fallen in love with “toddler bibs,” which slip over their necks like a t-shirt. They can’t rip them off!
5. The closet shoe shelf organizer that the Dis boards recommends. This is a great item for families with older children. For us, anything in the lower “shelves” was strung all over the resort room… and occasionally even into the trash can! It was a waste of space and weight in luggage for us.
6. An obscene amount of sunscreen… Adam and I are full of moles and I’'ve had a lot of complicated excisions, so we are big believers in using sunscreen on us and the kids. I packed 4 spray bottles and 2 lotion bottles, only to discover that Adam packed the same amount! Realistically, you should pack 2 bottles of lotion and 2 spray bottles for a family of 4 for a week at Disney. We basically coated the kids thickly (think white pasty-looking ghost kids) in the hotel room before we dressed them each morning. Through the day, we just reapplied with the spray. Our stroller has a huge sun shade, so ours were never in direct sun. They did come home with nice little tanned legs though, despite using tons of SPF 70 sunscreen!
7. Stroller Rain Cover: I spent $40 on a cover for our stroller and made sure it was in the stroller basket every day. While I browsed the instructions, I never practiced putting it on…just assumed it was easy. We ended up putting it on once, improperly, and were all soaked. My advice is that IF you choose to buy and try to use a cover, be sure to practice putting in on before leaving for Disney. And honestly, if you can’t get it on perfectly in about 30 seconds, it’s useless because your stroller will be soaked at that point anyway …and so will you!
8. Battery-Operated Fans: These are $18 each in the parks, and we bought 2 the first day (which we planned to do). In theory, you spray yourself with cool water and then turn on the fan. When using with toddlers, expect a whole lot of spraying and a useless fan! In order for the fan to really cool, the water must be cool AND the fan must be held very close to your face…neither of which are practical after the first few minutes. Plus, trying to keep toddlers from throwing them out of the stroller …or storing them in the stroller basket (while they leak)…or hanging them on the handle (so they hit your legs all day long)…is simply not worth the trouble! Save this cash!
9. Lots of Bottled Water, Drinks, and Alcohol for the Room. We bought one bottle of champagne, which was donated to the resort staff when we left…we just never felt interested in drinking it after long park days and melting down, fighting sleep toddlers! We also bought tons of bottled water, sodas, and Capri Sun Roaring Waters since we planned to take them into the parks. When our cooler failed, we ended up not drinking ½ of what we bought. Lesson learned!
10. Memory Maker Package: Disney charged $150 for “unlimited digital photos” of your trip. We paid for this, but in the end…we basically got about 40 total photos (most were duplicates). In my opinion, it wasn’t worth the expense. The photographers will take pics with your personal camera…might as well let them. The system has lots of frustrating pauses and glitches, so even downloading your pics once you are home is a pain!

And stuffed toys! Ours got these as a special Frozen package day gift...unfortunately they were not that interested. Made for a cute end-of-a-super-long-day photo prop set up though!

Last edited:
For those who think you can't hold two sleeping toddlers, here's proof that you can! This was a typical bus ride to and from the parks!

We did try to avoid the peak bus travel times, just because it made life easier. There were times it was unavoidable (mainly when the bus schedules at Riverside got all wonky), but we made it work!

Things We Did Use or Wish We Had Packed

1. Frog Togg Chilly Towels: My plan was to buy fans for the kids and these for Adam and me. In the end, the fans collected dust in our resort room and Adam and I split one while Andrew monopolized the other one. In hindsight, buy 4! Prepare them before you leave as the instructions say and use them…they do help and are easily “recharged” by re-wetting them in the restroom…where you will spend lots of diaper changing time anyway! We bought white because I didn’t want any fading issues, though would recommend choosing a color and just washing a few times before leaving home. The white ones looked pretty nasty by the end of the week, despite sink-washing them nightly.
2. Blue Dawn Dish Soap: Bring a bottle. It’s a great stain remover and treater (wish we had packed this) AND is useful for washing sippy cups (used only in our resort room) too.
3. Stain Stick. These are very expensive in the gift shops…trust me, we learned the hard way!
4. Good Stroller Caddy (for strollers that don’t come with a parent console). We bought the Freddie and Siebel one on Amazon and it did not disappoint. I almost wish we had bought two, since we almost constantly had 3-4 drinks to deal with.
5. A back pack style diaper bag. I own a beautiful Ju Ju Bee bag, but it’s just too big and heavy to drag around. Plus, there’s no way to hold two kids or a stroller with this bag and be comfortable. Before our trip, I chose a Vera Bradley backpack diaper bag and it was perfect! It fit easily in our stroller basket, held plenty of supplies, and was light to carry.
6. A quality tiny cooler. I bought a matching Vera Bradley lunch cooler, planning to use it daily for bringing some cool drinks into the parks. My plan was to put the drinks on ice and use the ice for the fans…it was a great plan, in theory! Unfortunately, the Vera Bradley cooler leaked EVERYWHERE…so it was fired after its first day and we spent the week paying $2-3 per drink/bottled water…which did add up significantly. A small cooler that doesn’t leak would be perfect though for having quick access to juice/milk boxes and ice!
7. Wet Wipes: These were great for wiping off tables and hands before eating! We went through 2 “Travel” packages of them in 8 days.
8. Small Packs of Huggies Wipes (the $1-2 travel ones in the travel section): These smaller packs are not the most cost-effective, but were perfect for the diaper bag. They fit into the pockets perfectly and kept the bag light! We used a total of 3 small packs through the entire week…which included using them for post-meal hand/face wiping and diaper changes. We also brought 3 “normal” sized packs of wipes for the resort room as well. For diapers, I packed one “sleeve” per child (essentially half a $36 box). We had some left over, but it beat running out!

They didn't drink much, but they sure had fun playing with the cups and straws!!!

General Advice and Observations

1. Plan on your Disney vacation to be a TON of work. With twin toddlers, your only “relaxation” time will be when they nap…and that’s if you are lucky enough for them to nap at the same time. The old margarita-in-the-beach-chair-looking-at-the-pool-type-vacation days are over! Mornings require sun screening everyone, dressing everyone, and loading the diaper bag/stroller for the day’s activities. Evenings require time to snack, bathe kids, wash cups, treat stains, etc. To be honest, I was ready for bed most nights before the kids were able to fall asleep!
2. Plan on NOT doing your favorite Disney Fun-List things. For me, the highlight of going to Disney is seeing the fireworks and nightly shows. I love every one of them. In 8 nights, we saw fireworks once…the Frozen ones at Hollywood Studios. Our toddlers just could not be out that late…and they proved it on the one night we tried it. Over-tired toddlers make for a frustrated couple (especially when your husband doesn’t like fireworks and didn’t want the kids out that late). To be honest, it’s a touch disappointing to spend thousands of hard-earned dollars on a tip and not get to do the one thing you love. BUT, get used to it…I think that’s just life once you have kids and are crazy enough to try going to Disney with two toddlers!
3. Always have food and a drink available! Our kids did not eat on their normal schedule, despite us making a hard effort to maintain it. They refused to eat in the resort room, though were starving as we entered the parks. Andrew’s first and biggest meltdown was at the Epcot entrance, all because he decided that he was starving to death! Unfortunately, we didn’t figure out why he was having such a fit until he polished off a whole blueberry muffin from Starbucks! One Dad told me, as I was carrying a tantrum-throwing 26 pound toddler, “This is the happiest place on Earth. You just keep telling yourself that!” If they melt down, try food…it might save you!
4. Swim Diaper Advice and Observations: I brought way too much swimwear for our kids…some of it was never worn! I purchased and iPlay swim diaper and long sleeved rash guard for each baby through Amazon. I also had several typical swim suits, so brought Huggies Little Swimmer diapers as well. On our Typhoon Lagoon beach day, we put the kids in the Huggies. We smelled them often and did not think they were soiled (even when we peaked into them). We also changed them half way through our 5 hour trip to the park. Somewhere along the way though, Andrew did poop. When we returned to the hotel, he had little poop fragments all over the inside of the diaper and against his skin. Everywhere they touched and where his swim trunk liner must have been rubbing his thigh (I didn’t think to be sure it was in his crease…didn’t done on me.), he had a huge red spot that was very painful to him. These were essentially like burns…red and super tender. I assume they were the result of the swim diapers, chafe, moisture, and poop. I had packed some Aloe Vesta ointment (something we use in wound care) and began treating it immediately. He seemed fine the next day, but it took about 5 days for the areas to go away. After this, I highly recommend that you pack some Caldesene Powder and some sort of ointment (Aquaphor, Desitin Max, etc) just in case. On our second pool day at the resort, we used the iPlay swim diapers. These worked great for us, though when Anna did poop…we were not real sure what to do! We ended up dumping (pardon the pun) the poop in the toilet, rinsing the diaper well, and washing it in the resort sink…all while putting her in a disposable swim diaper and new bottoms to finish out our day! If you use these, you need to bring some little bags to put them in wet if they are soiled.
5. Plan on a wrecked schedule (despite all of your efforts). Adam struggles with being flexible, while I far more easy-going. This made for some frustrating marital moments for us. If possible, discuss your expectations of the trip beforehand and agree that there may HAVE to be some flexibility here and there. Our kids were screwed up, even on the days where we obsessively kept “their” schedule in place. It happens…try not to be like Adam about it!
6. Prepare for tantrums…and way more than you’ve ever seen at home! It’s hot, the beds aren’t what they have at home, foods are different, schedules are different, rides are super fun, and the kids are just over-stimulated. They happen. We kept ours to a minimum (only 4 the entire trip with Andrew and 2 with Anna that were mild), but it was a struggle. Our major screaming fits were actually at bedtime. Neither kid was willing to just go to sleep, despite being totally exhausted. We tried putting them in our bed; cry it out techniques, laying them back down when they stood up, etc. Nights were HARD (6 of 8 of them at least). Just plan on it.
7. Get to Magic Kingdom about 45 minutes before it opens. Seeing the opening show on the first park day of our trip was a dream come true for us…a truly magical vacation moment. Don’t miss it!
8. Ride the train around Magic Kingdom! Do the whole circle more than once! This was a highlight of our trip for our kids! They learned that the train went, “Choo Choo,” after their first Disney Railroad ride!
9. Get an empty cup, straw, and lid for each kid. A leaf or napkin just ices the cake! The entertainment these simple items provide is absolutely amazing and will save you when waiting for shows and parades!
10. After paying for the resort, park tickets, and meal plan, I would budget $150/day. You won’t likely need this much, but things add up super fast at Disney! We averaged $100/day in the end, but it’s always better to come home with extra than to run short! If you don’t have meal plans, I’d look at www.allearsnet.com for the menus and pricings so that you can budget accordingly! Our service was always great, so we ended up tipping 20% with each meal…something to keep in mind when budgeting.
11. Regardless of whether you have the dining plan or not, it is critical that you reserve your sit-down meals. The days of walking up to the counter and getting a seat in a restaurant at Disney are over…and with two hungry toddlers…you are playing with fire to try! Character meals book months in advance. Try to book them when you book your trip and if you can’t get what you want, check back several times a day. We managed to get every single meal we wanted, but it did take some effort!
12. With toddlers, trying to book FastPass+ 3 times a day is just super tough because you have to work around so many variables (nap times, meal times, etc.). I would use this feature mainly for parades, fireworks viewing areas (if your kids can handle being up that late), and a few select attractions (Little Mermaid, Enchanted Tales with Belle, character meets if you aren’t doing character meals, Peter Pan, Nemo: The Musical, Lion King, and the Safari ride at Animal Kingdom).
13. Plan on one outfit per person per day, 2 extra outfits total per baby (never needed them, but better safe than sorry), pj’s for all (we brought 2 sets for each of us), and 2-3 swimsuits each. We LOVED our long sleeved rash guards for all of us, as it made sunscreen application far easier and faster!
14. Take a billion photographs! Adam brought his tiny DVD recorder, but I found that I used my iPhone for everything! I bought a Life Proof case prior to our trip, so I didn’t have to worry about it getting wet. I never immersed the case (too scared), but I felt good about it on rides and in the rain. I thought I took a ton of photos and videos, but now that I’m home…I wish I had taken more! Don’t skimp…you won’t regret taking too many! On the flip side though, I didn’t want us to spend our trips behind the camera. And on that note, we didn’t and we truly just savored our moments and memories!
15. Plan on a “down” day (i.e. day at resort pool) at least once every 2-3 days. I think our meltdowns might have been easier if we had heeded this advice.
16. A 7 might trip seems to us to be the perfect length. We stayed 8, but felt that it was a tad much for the kids. You won’t see and do everything, but that’s ok!
17. If you can only afford to take your children to Disney once…ever…wait until they are at least 4 years old! If you know you’ll be back, then take your two toddlers and have a blast! They won’t remember it, but trust me…you will!
18. Stop and smell the roses! Some of our best trip moments were in totally unexpected places! Our toddlers LOVED the “street shows” at the parks. They danced and clapped and just had a wonderful time! They loved dancing on the musical squares at Epcot’s Imagination area and playing with the “computers” there. Sometimes, the not-so-popular things are best for this age! Obviously, when they are happy…everyone is happy! Let them enjoy things they don’t get at home (ice cream, chocolate milk, frozen lemonades, etc.). It’s vacation! And trust me, they went right back to their schedule/diet at home with no issues…I think they were relieved to return to it!

All in all, taking the twins to Disney was a wonderful first family vacation. I couldn’t help but tear up almost once a day, just from watching them experience something for the first time…and totally LOVE it! It was tough at times, but I’ve come to the conclusion that vacations with young children are going to be a bit challenging. Dress them comfortably and cutely (splurge on embroidered shirts, even if they are ruined by mac and cheese the first time they are worn to the parks), buy them a few things they don’t need (stuffed animals and a First Trip t-shirt), and just bask in the blessings of parenthood and making new memories! For us, this was truly the manifestation of all of our dreams come true! After all of the infertility issues and NICU struggles, I often thought we would never have any children to bring to Disney. The magic we experienced on this trip and experience every day made it all worth every struggle and penny spent! Our next trip is planned for May 2017 (to WDW)...but I'm pretty sure we'll be cruising Disney next fall!

Best wishes to all who read this! I hope it has been useful!!!

Thanks for all of your tips! I don't have twins but my little guy will be 19 months when we take him for his first visit and this really helped!

This was really great. And I teared up a little when you talked about not knowing if you would have kids to take to Disney. As a former NICU nurse and someone who has personally struggled with infertility, both these things hit close to home! I appreciate all the advice as we will be taking our 16 month old in November. But I must know...where did you get all the cute outfits?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter