Disney vs. Housing Project

NEVERENOUGHWDW

<font color=blue>Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Unde
Disney is going to court to try and stop a "housing project" from being built, stockholders & executives feel passing the housing project on the way into the park will take away from the magic. What do you REALLY think?

Disney is going to court to try and stop a "housing project" from being built, stockholders & executives feel passing the housing project on the way into the park will take away from the magic. What do you REALLY think?

Do you have a link to the story? :)

Assuming this new "housing project" won't actually be on Disney property, why should they care? We saw lots of cheesy-looking souvenier shops off the freeway on our way from the airport. Anyone can build whatever they want as long as they own the land. I'm not automatically assuming that a "housing project" will be an eyesore and neither should Disney.

We don't expect the magic to start until we pass through Disney gates. We expect everthing inside of WDW to be pristine and that's what we found. We're not concerned about what's outside of the gates. If someone wants to build a "housing project" that will beneficial to the community, they should be allowed to do it!

Don't shoot the messenger...just sharing a news story.

I will admit that we DO take certain routes while driving into the Magic just to make for a more eye pleasing ride. ME also uses very specific routes into Disney if you notice, there are routes they don't take no matter what the traffic conditions are like.

I will admit that we DO take certain routes while driving into the Magic just to make for a more eye pleasing ride. ME also uses very specific routes into Disney if you notice, there are routes they don't take no matter what the traffic conditions are like.

Interesting article...I haven't heard that story just yet...but it is something to think about.

As far as ME taking a specific route, which route do they take? I've never taken ME however I know the area around the parks very well so I was just curious how they get onto Disney property.

Me personally, I think seeing all of the junkie outside shops just adds to the magic because once you pass those, you know you'll be at WDW!

:)

I think if Disney dislikes cheap housing near their park perhaps they should look at the wages they pay their staff. They are one of the largest employers in the area. The parks are costly to run yes but they pay their artistic staff less than AB pays their artistic staff. Artistic staff being performers and so forth in the park.They also do not pay their general staff much more than the Min Wage.

Their staff wants cheap housing close to work because that is what they need. Disney has to either A get over it, B offer their staff more money, or C. accept that they are driving away potential employees when they stop projects like this.

Isn't this about a housing project around Disneyland and not Disney World? The area around Disneyland is much different than around Disney World.

So they want to keep Anaheim attractive for tourist. Is the underlying meaning that the poor and working poor are too unattractive and don't deserve to live in a decent area because, God forbid some one should see them. Whenever I start believing that Disney actually cares about people I get slapped back into reality. I find this pretty ironic since they notorousily pay so poorly and offer almost no benefits and they people who would probably benefit most from close, low cost housing would be their employees.

What I really feel is that if I was a major developer who lobbied long and hard for certain zoning regulation only have them taken away/changed I would be upset and I would certainly fight it. However, it does sounds harsh to see a company that evokes such warm, sentimental feelings fighting a housing project. I see nothing wrong from a business standpoint with Disney's actions and I feel like any other major developer would do the same thing. As long as what the article said, about there being lots of low income housing being built, then I think it would almost be foolish to take land that could bring in so many tax dollars and build low income housing on it.

What I really feel is that if I was a major developer who lobbied long and hard for certain zoning regulation only have them taken away/changed I would be upset and I would certainly fight it. However, it does sounds harsh to see a company that evokes such warm, sentimental feelings fighting a housing project. I see nothing wrong from a business standpoint with Disney's actions and I feel like any other major developer would do the same thing. As long as what the article said, about there being lots of low income housing being built, then I think it would almost be foolish to take land that could bring in so many tax dollars and build low income housing on it.
The question becomes where do you put low income housing?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-disney2207jun22,0,1857950.story

Another article I found interesting........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter